NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Willock, Anderson and Murphy have to be considered as at least decent "in an emergency" options for a wide forward/winger on either side. All of them would be 3 choice of lower for either wing (maybe not Anderson as we're not sure what will come from him).  Because of this I'm pretty sure were not actively looking at wingers and I think that is the right approach. Next summer with Miggy one year older and other positions addressed we can spaff a load of money at a "wow" signing on the RW. We're just not able to do that right now.

From a Jonathon Wilson Q+A in the Guardian today

With players like Trent Alexander-Arnold flowing between full-back and midfield, is there a shift towards position-less football? Are there any other tactical innovations unfolding, or that you see occurring in the near future? Kris, Massachusetts

While positions are obviously important for basic defensive structure, I think that’s been a growing trend for a while. I remember talking to Slaven Bilić 20 years ago and him saying how he prefers to think in terms of roles rather than positions. Essentially formations, at the highest level, are rough guides rather the governing structures they were three or four decades ago. The biggest innovation now, I think, is data – although that’s a very difficult innovation to track from the outside.

11 minutes ago, LFEE said:

We usually played with a midfield 3 of Joelinton Bruno and Longstaff. Willock was always the most advanced wide left filling in for ASM.

Only time I saw Willock actually in midfield was when Joelinton or Bruno was suspended it felt. Either way I’d definitely consider him to be on the list as wide forwards.

Pretty sure that's not quite right mate, opposite to what Tron said actually, my take was from inside to drifting out.

however you saying about Willock playing wide has to be a defo thing ongoing, we have to get him in the team.

Whatever way it goes, rotation is definitely something we can do now without weakning us across the front and midfield, it's just defensively where I would worry when resting or rotating.

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Think it's pretty fair to say Willock played as a weird CM-winger hybrid last season. I'm sure there's a football hipster term for it based on some German or Italian word. 

When it was him and Joe on the left they dovetailed, read each other really well which made them a bugger to get close to.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Everyone's favourite reporter, but a rumour is a rumour.

I just don’t see the one happening. And I’d actually rather just keep playing Schar unless we find someone with a different profile to him (the pace and power mould that we all keep talking about)

Andersen is such a good player and a better version of Schar (as harsh as that sounds) but paying anything north of 30 for him would be a waste, considering his age. Ideally we’d be getting someone with the same passing ability but younger and more pacey/ athletic; not sure who tbh, but anyone with that kind of profile wouldn’t come cheap.

55 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Clipped by a stray in this shootout ?

Joke was that Dan isn't actually American, hard as that is to believe. :lol:

(And ironic as it is for me to be making that joke, yes)

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Everyone's favourite reporter, but a rumour is a rumour.

This one doesn't seem to be going away, like. Had no clue he'd played with Bruno at Lyon for a bit.

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

Is 27 old for a centre-back these days?

Should be good for 5 years and coming into his peak. Think it's a bit of a gamble to go botman age again with him still needing an experienced partner to guide him through these next few years. Anderson is bang in the middle. Good move in that respect.

14 minutes ago, Shak said:

Joke was that Dan isn't actually American, hard as that is to believe. :lol:

(And ironic as it is for me to be making that joke, yes)

ya, cmon bruh. 

The Big and Little Joe left side was hybrid, one chose to play further than the other but always felt Big Joe lined up at left wing more but often tucked further back than Willock when we were in defense. 

57 minutes ago, LFEE said:

We usually played with a midfield 3 of Joelinton Bruno and Longstaff. Willock was always the most advanced wide left filling in for ASM.

Only time I saw Willock actually in midfield was when Joelinton or Bruno was suspended it felt. Either way I’d definitely consider him to be on the list as wide forwards.

Per Transfer Market it looks like he ALWAYS plays somewhere in the midfield. He certainly can drift wide of course.

21 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Andersen is such a good player and a better version of Schar (as harsh as that sounds) but paying anything north of 30 for him would be a waste, considering his age. Ideally we’d be getting someone with the same passing ability but younger and more pacey/ athletic; not sure who tbh, but anyone with that kind of profile wouldn’t come cheap.

He has good shithousery also ??

2 minutes ago, McDog said:

Per Transfer Market it looks like he ALWAYS plays somewhere in the midfield. He certainly can drift wide of course.

I'm really sorry but i trust my eyes lol. He 100% swapped interchangeably with joelinton frequently in games they both played in and it was tremendously successful 

Schars injury is perhaps a blessing in disguise, similar to how Wilsons was last summer. We've always needed another CB since this time last year but now it's far more urgent. 

I'd be happy with Andersen, assuming the price is fair, but if its not then the club won't pay it anyway. There's a handful of other younger CBs in Europe we could get but atleast with Andersen he fits in the void almost perfectly left by Schar without the need for much moulding or settling in.

12 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I'm really sorry but i trust my eyes lol. He 100% swapped interchangeably with joelinton frequently in games they both played in and it was tremendously successful 

He always started games in central midfield, though, which is what I think people might be getting mixed up by. Arguing two different things.

He typically ended with a higher average position than Joelinton and on the occasions when we went 4-2-3-1 with them both in the team, it was Willock rather than Joelinton who played on the wing, with Big Jow moving back into the midfield two.

Honestly think Willock could play in any attacking midfield position, including on either wing, with good success. He's such a natural footballer and a great athlete, plus he still has plenty of time on his side, too.