NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

9 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Heresy incoming. I think Keegan got found out. There were next to no tactics. Go and score more than them seemed to be the philosophy and when that stopped working he didn’t have any ability to think differently and he also transmitted his panic to the players. The way he responded after the Fenton winner said it all.  You need the leader to be calm in those situations not getting all agitated. 

We had, I think, the second best defence that season. We were tactically very good, in and out of possession but got caught by a team who had an exceptional run in. Even if at times they looked ordinary but dug it out.

32 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Heresy incoming. I think Keegan got found out. There were next to no tactics. Go and score more than them seemed to be the philosophy and when that stopped working he didn’t have any ability to think differently and he also transmitted his panic to the players. The way he responded after the Fenton winner said it all.  You need the leader to be calm in those situations not getting all agitated. 

Keegan was never that much about tactics, he only knew one way of playing. It wasn't a bad way, but I think it was a lot easier to play with freedom first half of the season when there was no pressure and we were just going out doing our stuff. As the title loomed closer, I think some of our players started feeling the pressure and we stopped playing with that freedom. Man U wanted it more, they found ways to win, we found ways to lose. If Keegan hadn't responded to that Fenton goal that way, we'd still have lost the game.

Apologies for this thread being derailed into another Keegan borefest btw, but I think @Cronky has to take full responsibility for this. Absolutely no need for him to indulge himself in totally irrelevant nostalgia.

Ban him for a week maybe so he can reflect on how to contribute more meaningfully.

7 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

I'd largely agree with that. I always look at Asprilla coming in as the turning point. Cult figure and great player, but we didn't need a maverick striker, we needed to keep clean sheets and let our existing strikers do what they did best.

I watched something recently where one of the 1996 Liverpool players was discussing the 4-3 and they said that it was drilled in to them that Newcastle's fragility at the back meant we were very beatable. Especially once pressure began to build.

The PTSD from 1996 is still so strong. I was 18, going out on the hoy, doing plenty of skuttling, driving a car, looking forward to moving to a new city for Uni.

In principle life was class.

But I was devasted inside, emotionally traumatised by our capitulation. And being at school with a few glory seeking Tyne Valley Man Utd fans was the shitty icing on a dog turd cake.

Good post, but help a non-Geordie out, please? What is 'skuttling'?

Howe will want 6 midfield options next season, I’m not counting Miley in that 6 either so I’d imagine we’ll bring in another this summer. I’m against the majority here and I’d like to see Wilson stay and we focus on getting in a top class right winger and another centerback.

1 minute ago, black_n_white said:

Howe will want 6 midfield options next season, I’m not counting Miley in that 6 either so I’d imagine we’ll bring in another this summer. I’m against the majority here and I’d like to see Wilson stay and we focus on getting in a top class right winger and another centerback.

Why wouldn't you count Miley

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Why wouldn't you count Miley

Because counting him doesn’t suit his theory :lol:

Howe will indeed want 6 midfielders and he has 6 midfielders. Miley is part of the 1st team squad wether black_n_white counts him or not 

Edited by gdm

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

Because counting him doesn’t suit his theory :lol:

Howe will indeed want 6 midfielders and he has 6 midfielders. Miley is part of the 1st team squad wether black_n_white counts him or not 

Time will tell but I believe we’ll bring in another midfielder.

16 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Time will tell but I believe we’ll bring in another midfielder.

I don’t believe we will. We brought in a centre half on a free and went cheap on a goalkeeper we just don’t have the resources to bring in a midfielder. If we do he won’t be a starter. Think wether you count him or not they see Miley as adequate midfield cover, I mean, why wouldn’t they he excelled last season 

Edited by gdm