Tino Livramento

Yorkie

19 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

My theory is that we are bad at producing or trusting young CMs so if they’re mobile they get moved to fullback. Trippier, Reece James and TAA I think played a fair amount of football in academy’s at CM and James definitely played CM for Wigan (and occasionally Chelsea). 

Like Rico Lewis often plays CM for junior England sides.  

Same reason we produce a lot of AMs and wide players. Half of those would be CMs (Mount, the lad at Wolves, even Foden) if they were brought up in Spain. I look at the England core central midfielders Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham. None of them came through elite academy’s.  Chelsea would have stuck Rice at CB.  

This is a great point. 

I also think we produce a lot of wingers that can excel at youth ages in academies but when they get a bit further up the ladder that same dynamism isn't there. Aaron Wan-Bissaka is a good example of that. Sold for £50m as a supposed 'elite potential fullback' when in reality he was a failed winger that adapted. 

I know Wenger dropped Cole and Clichy into fullback from further up. It's players that perhaps can kick and rush past lesser developed opponents but that advantage eventually disappears. The benefit to that is - as a former winger - you understand what the opponent is trying to do as they approach you. That might even explain why Trent is less adept at the defensive side because he doesn't have that experience. 

Very interested to see what the plan is, I just don't see us paying such big money for a 2nd choice RB, no matter how good as prospect we think he is for the long term.

My guess is we'll see plenty of Trippier at LB, playing that more restricted role in terms of getting forward. At his age it's just not really feasible for him to be the wing back every game for a team regularly playing twice a week. Perhaps LB will be more manageable for him as it's less demanding physically in our system.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of games where Trippier will play RB with Burn or Targett at LB but I'd hope that Livramento at RB and Trippier at LB will become the first choice full back pairing sooner rather than later.

42 minutes ago, Viana said:

This is a great point. 

I also think we produce a lot of wingers that can excel at youth ages in academies but when they get a bit further up the ladder that same dynamism isn't there. Aaron Wan-Bissaka is a good example of that. Sold for £50m as a supposed 'elite potential fullback' when in reality he was a failed winger that adapted. 

I know Wenger dropped Cole and Clichy into fullback from further up. It's players that perhaps can kick and rush past lesser developed opponents but that advantage eventually disappears. The benefit to that is - as a former winger - you understand what the opponent is trying to do as they approach you. That might even explain why Trent is less adept at the defensive side because he doesn't have that experience. 

Tbf I don’t think many of the most talented players grow up being fullbacks in academy’s - at least not in younger age groups. I’ve said this before but the more talented you are, the further up the pitch you play (GK, and maybe CB as exceptions). Neville has said something similar - that all fullbacks are either failed wingers or failed CBs. I think in this era a lot of fullbacks are failed CMs.  

Saw an interview with Trips where he said he first played fullback at 17 or 18. Was a CM through the City academy.  

43 minutes ago, Shak said:

Very interested to see what the plan is, I just don't see us paying such big money for a 2nd choice RB, no matter how good as prospect we think he is for the long term.

My guess is we'll see plenty of Trippier at LB, playing that more restricted role in terms of getting forward. At his age it's just not really feasible for him to be the wing back every game for a team regularly playing twice a week. Perhaps LB will be more manageable for him as it's less demanding physically in our system.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of games where Trippier will play RB with Burn or Targett at LB but I'd hope that Livramento at RB and Trippier at LB will become the first choice full back pairing sooner rather than later.

I think this is the reason we won’t go for a left back. With everyone fit one of Trips/Tino is a realistic option at FB. A more reserved role may eke out more minutes and career at the top for Trippier too. 

53 minutes ago, Shak said:

I think that's entirely possible. As some others have said, Livramento could also see some time at RW.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

My theory is that we are bad at producing or trusting young CMs so if they’re mobile they get moved to fullback. Trippier, Reece James and TAA I think played a fair amount of football in academy’s at CM and James definitely played CM for Wigan (and occasionally Chelsea). 

Like Rico Lewis often plays CM for junior England sides.  

Same reason we produce a lot of AMs and wide players. Half of those would be CMs (Mount, the lad at Wolves, even Foden) if they were brought up in Spain. I look at the England core central midfielders Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Bellingham. None of them came through elite academy’s.  Chelsea would have stuck Rice at CB.  

Great post

The highlights reel for Livramento has him making agile tackles and skilfully negotiating tight spaces in midfield in a way reminscent of Bruno. I thought "lets try him as a right #6!" fwiw, Tonali played left #6 at Milan. To complete the picture, Bruno goes right #8 with one Joe left #8.

Regardless of my fantasies, its highly unlikely Tino or any other RB could directly replicate Tripper and his fifteen mostly high quality deliveries a game. That's even with a very wing-backish RB like Livramento. There will have to be some evolution in how we play. My guess would be to even out the right-left balance with a young attacking LB.

Can't believe so many are willing to shoehorn Trippier to left back after watching him play for us the last 1.5 seasons on account of a few appearances for England and 1 (?) assist. :lol: Are you the same people who wanted to play Isak on the wing so we could play both him and Wilson at the same time last season?

7 hours ago, Shak said:

Great points, it just gives us solid options too. I think we’ll bring in an other LB might I think we’ll focus on CB next because of the points you’ve raised. 

7 hours ago, Shak said:

I also wonder, if we do play Trippier at LB, if we'd use him more as an inverted wing back during games were expected to dominate. A bit like Zinchenko at Arsenal, Trippier could fill that CM role while we're on the attack, allowing us the push Bruno further forward to create overloads in different areas of the pitch. Didn't Trips actually play CM in one game during pre-season?

12 hours ago, prefabtoon said:

https://www.themag.co.uk/2023/08/tino-livramento-newcastle-united-and-are-acl-injuries-the-end-of-the-line/

The Mag has just done an article on  some of the more famous footballers, from recent years, to have fallen victim to the dreaded ACL injury but come back as strong as ever: including our very own  Alan Shearer.

Alan Shearer

Radome Falcao
Alessandro Del Piero
Ruud van Nistelrooy
Roberto Baggio
Roy Keane
Xavi
Francesco Totti

Lost of recent players at least... :lol:

8 hours ago, Shak said:

I don't think "the plan" is just about this coming season. If he is their #1 long-term target to replace Trippier why not make the move now when Southampton have been relegated and there is a chance to get a jump on potential rivals with concers about his knee?

The Gordon move was the same, planned for the summer, brought forward to January because the opportunity was there.

The owners have been telling us that this is a long-term project, we need to start viewing our transfer business as such.

I am wondering if the plan is with a new CB heavily rumoured to be last target if Howe is thinking about going 3 at the back considering that has been trialled in the preseason but it's not clear who the left wing back could be if it isn't tino or tripps out of position as both can play there even though its sub optimal. I don't really see Burn as a wing back at all. the benefit would be if they both can do it if you play both they can switch wings throughout the game to confuse the opposition, which is very howe. Look at joelinto and willock switching between midfield and left wing a lot. 

7 hours ago, Conjo said:

Can't believe so many are willing to shoehorn Trippier to left back after watching him play for us the last 1.5 seasons on account of a few appearances for England and 1 (?) assist. :lol: Are you the same people who wanted to play Isak on the wing so we could play both him and Wilson at the same time last season?

It's not shoehorning him anywhere, it's the recognition that he's about to turn 33 and expecting a player that age to cover an entire flank for 90 minutes and not quickly get burnt out is just fanciful.

If Trippier was 27 years old this wouldn't be a conversation. But he's not.

7 hours ago, Conjo said:

1. I just don’t think we sign a LB.
2. I consider Burn a defensive weakness in the team.
3. The Livra fee is very high. He needs to be more than backup. We must think there’s a way we can play both at times.  

I don’t love it at all. But it is an option.  

39 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

3. The Livra fee is very high. He needs to be more than backup. We must think there’s a way we can play both at times.  

Don’t agree with 3, we are a CL club now and we need options. The fee isn’t that high for someone with his potential. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I get a bit nervous when Burn is on the ball but in fairness to him as a defender he’s more than adequate. I’m surprised he wasn’t exposed more often last season but he largely held his own even against the speedsters and  Saka’s etc. It’s going forward where I think Burn’s shortcomings lie. We need an energetic, over-lapping LB to complement the threat down the right.

It’s a bit funny to me, there is always this slight and doubt on Dan Burn; he generally gets done for pace early in matches and then slowly but surely we adapt as a team, Dan adjusts his own positioning and timing and then we’re back in control.