Harvey Barnes

khay

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Not that it matters too much, but I wonder what the breakdown of the deal is in terms of fee and add-ons.

Out of interest, have you changed your mind about him not being a Howe type player ?

We were a bastard to play against last season, especially at St James'. The new signings will only make us more of a problem imo. We now have a really direct and aggressive goal threat in the wide left position and even more power and dynamism in the midfield. Tonali is honestly likely to prove streets better than Longstaff and I do love that lad, we missed him when he didn't play. These are two excellent signings, we're maneuvering around FFP really well I think.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

Genuinely believe we've just upgraded the first eleven in terms of what the lad brings to overall possession and xG, very direct and swift when the openings arise.

I'll likely miss Maxi's flair and trickery, but at the end of the day - workrate counts. (copyright: Eddie Howe)

“Barnes is not stunning, nor does he show flashes of genius. You won’t find a stepover, or a cheeky finish, or many spectacular long-rangers. Barnes’ game is almost solely based around the simplest concept in football: the give-and-go.

“He is a fine ball-carrier, but doubtless knows his limitations at directly beating his opponent. And as a goalscoring wide player, his main job is to get past the opposition full-back and score goals. Therefore, he compensates for his lack of trickery by relentlessly playing one-twos with team-mates.

“Opposition right-backs have a specific task when playing against Barnes — don’t worry too much about him running at you with the ball, but be very wary when he knocks the ball infield and charges past you.”

Bit from The Athletic article, courtesy of Michael Cox.