Harvey Barnes

khay

27 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

The real question is what is the point of Anthony Gordon for £45m? Eddie Howe likes to start players off slowly so there was little possibility of him making a big difference the second half of last season.  We could have had Moussa Diaby for a little more than AG cost.  Harvey Barnes, Isak, and Diaby on the front line means goals.  Also, not worth it to dump ASM for that small fee. We sold a lw and still go four deep at the position (AG, HB, BigJoe, Isak...throw in Anderson too if you want). Odd strategy. Last year everyone thought Spurs won the off season/transfer market, and we know how that worked out.  I hope we get some help for the back line.  

Because we wanted Gordon and we didn't want Diaby?

we've signed players and not others all because its was ashworth/howe want.

it may be due to money, player demands, ffp, timing of the transfers or simply the squad/tactics in use this season.

either way, they've got little wrong so far.

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

The real question is what is the point of Anthony Gordon for £45m? Eddie Howe likes to start players off slowly so there was little possibility of him making a big difference the second half of last season.  We could have had Moussa Diaby for a little more than AG cost.  Harvey Barnes, Isak, and Diaby on the front line means goals.  Also, not worth it to dump ASM for that small fee. We sold a lw and still go four deep at the position (AG, HB, BigJoe, Isak...throw in Anderson too if you want). Odd strategy. Last year everyone thought Spurs won the off season/transfer market, and we know how that worked out.  I hope we get some help for the back line.  

Yeh it’s long done now but the Gordon transfer is one that looks ropey. But it is what it is. 

I was a undoubtedly a Gordon skeptic prior to signing him but having watched him for U21 and for us in pre-season he clearly massively passes the eye test. I'm amazed anybody is still criticizing the signing at this stage tbh. He should be great this season if it clicks, and will offer us plenty across muiltiple positions.

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

Diaby is an outstanding attacking talent, so is ASM in his own way, but crucially both are considered weak team players, and are reluctant to track back. That makes them potential liabilities for the way we play.

Gordon presumably puts the work in that Howe needs to implement his style, and he's shown he knows where the net is during the U-21 Euros. It's far too early to write him off, especially since he's looked sharp in the pre-seasons.

It really is just about getting players who suit our system, nothing to do with how good or bad Diaby is.

29 minutes ago, TRon said:

Diaby is an outstanding attacking talent, so is ASM in his own way, but crucially both are considered weak team players, and are reluctant to track back. That makes them potential liabilities for the way we play.

Gordon presumably puts the work in that Howe needs to implement his style, and he's shown he knows where the net is during the U-21 Euros. It's far too early to write him off, especially since he's looked sharp in the pre-seasons.

It really is just about getting players who suit our system, nothing to do with how good or bad Diaby is.

Eventually this will sink in for the vast majority of the fan base I think, once everyone sees how good Gordon is and how well he can potentially function in our system it will open some more eyes. Taking his age and circumstance into account (only been here a short time and has had limited minutes) you can only imagine how much room he has to grow here.. he is the player that excites me the most as far as how much he can improve from here.

Edited by Nine

30 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I was a undoubtedly a Gordon skeptic prior to signing him but having watched him for U21 and for us in pre-season he clearly massively passes the eye test. I'm amazed anybody is still criticizing the signing at this stage tbh. He should be great this season if it clicks, and will offer us plenty across muiltiple positions.

Bobby Concur on this. Hope he brings his shooting boots this season, he's getting Howe'd.

Think Gordon is about 2 years away from being anything like a polished diamond.

He's got loads of raw potential and I've said it before and i will say it again... I don't for one second think he will remain a wide player, or at least certainly not regularly.

I can absolutely see him either as a forward, number 10 or more likely a number 8.

To me, he looks like someone who can cope with the hustle and bustle of midfield but also someone who can carry the ball in transition. He's also got a keen eye for a pass too (see his through ball to Miggy). 

I'm really interested to see which way his career goes with regards to long term position. I think James Milner is a great comparison. The older he gets, the further back he will play and his versatility will be his strength.

Tony Gordon will be a bit of an early Bellamy for us this season. Run like a fiend, rile up the opposition, and chip in with a decent amount of goals & assists, and generally be a cracking team player, but he'll miss chances and sometimes be very frustrating in the final third with his decisions. The crucial pieces missing from his game are exactly what Barnes excels at - hopefully he can learn a lot from him.

38 minutes ago, STM said:

Think Gordon is about 2 years away from being anything like a polished diamond.

He's got loads of raw potential and I've said it before and i will say it again... I don't for one second think he will remain a wide player, or at least certainly not regularly.

I can absolutely see him either as a forward, number 10 or more likely a number 8.

To me, he looks like someone who can cope with the hustle and bustle of midfield but also someone who can carry the ball in transition. He's also got a keen eye for a pass too (see his through ball to Miggy). 

I'm really interested to see which way his career goes with regards to long term position. I think James Milner is a great comparison. The older he gets, the further back he will play and his versatility will be his strength.

I agree, but he has tonnes more pace than Milner. 

I don’t really see the James Milner comparisons, I definitely see the Bellamy comparisons. Gordon will be able to play multiple positions like Milner did but the way he’ll play will be dramatically different I think. Milner was a workhorse who never stopped running and did a huge amount of defensive work whilst also crossing in a lot of balls and striking from medium

distance. I think Gordon will beat his man for pace far more than Milner did and I don’t think he’ll dilly dally or slam a cross in, I think he’ll cut in and play more along the ground. I think he’ll be a much more creative outlet than Milner has been for most of his career 

Anderson reminds me of Milner.

I don't think it's possible to see where Gordon will end up in 10 years time but I don't see him changing too much in the near future (other than hopefully improving with age). He always looks better running towards goal.

Edited by Hanshithispantz