Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

25 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

He’s done an excellent job so far no doubt about it but the next step is to do it over a full season. I would be very surprised if he keeps up that sort of form over a full season and you finish top 4, Eddie managed to do it with us last season, let’s see if Emery can do it this season.

people (including most of us) said the exact same thing about Eddie 12 months ago.

Emery and Villa are legit challengers to the top 4 this year, as with us it will be how Europe impacts them that will determine the league finish 

Not many teams win 3 away games in succession nevermind 3 away games in a row. Brentford was a very tough game and we had Longstaff and Almiron out, Gordon starting and not looking great. We were poor off the ball, our positional play was the worst of the season and we were unusually wasteful in possession. That said, they were excellent too. We will be a lot stronger obviously. Happy with a draw but hopeful for a result. Will be tight I reckon. 

Edited by Adam P

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Brummie’s becoming a bit too Froggy like now Villa are good. Worrying.

Individuals who go to other teams forums and establish a long term history of posting are creepy. Think to yourself "would I do that?" If the answer is no you know innately they aren't all there upstairs.

Imagine posting 10,000 times on a Villa forum or 30,000 times on Man Utd forum. It's creepy to say the least and raises a lot of questions.

22.JPG

11.JPG

Edited by Mountain

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

You’ve completely missed my point. When people are paying to go to the game whoever it is whatever the club they are generally getting sick of time wasting and cheating. I can validate it by saying I go so not only do I get frustrated with it but everyone seemingly sitting around me. This has grown as time wasting has increased and at the same time prices have.

You think differently. That’s fair enough. 

You did by saying it would suite possession based teams and you’ve implied it again in your response ?

I don't think I've missed the point though, you've pulled this "do you go to games? :)" craic a few times. It's a completely irrelevant point. Usually to people in skandinavia or something, as if their opinion is irrelevant because they're not in St James' Park every week. 

I'm just saying, I've got friends and family who go week in week out, they don't bang on about time wasting, or the offside trap, and I don't think they agree with you - atleast I've legitimately never heard these objections other than on here? So I'll take their POV from being in the ground as all that matters? Or is that not how it works?

If you want less timewasting then fair enough, argue why it would be good? Like I say, I think on the whole it would be worse for the league. It woupd favour the top sides. You don't have to try and validate your point of view with a veneer of elitism though.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

28 minutes ago, Mountain said:

Individuals who go to other teams forums and establish a long term history of posting are creepy. Think to yourself "would I do that?" If the answer is no you know innately they aren't all there upstairs.

Imagine posting 10,000 times on a Villa forum or 30,000 times on Man Utd forum. It's creepy to say the least and raises a lot of questions.

22.JPG

11.JPG

Cheers for highlighting their posts mate, was struggling to see what you were talking about 

3 hours ago, brummie said:

If we'd replicated the points totals in the 2/3s of the season Emery was with us over the whole season, we'd be in the Champions League too.

One of the reasons you looked so poor was we sussed you out from the off and didn't let you play.

Oh here we go. Nice foreigner going native as the game gets close.

:iamatwat:

4 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I don't think I've missed the point though, you've pulled this "do you go to games? :)" craic a few times. It's a completely irrelevant point. Usually to people in skandinavia or something, as if their opinion is irrelevant because they're not in St James' Park every week. 

I'm just saying, I've got friends and family who go week in week out, they don't bang on about time wasting, or the offside trap, and I don't think they agree with you - atleast I've legitimately never heard these objections other than on here? So I'll take their POV from being in the ground as all that matters? Or is that not how it works?

If you want less timewasting then fair enough, argue why it would be good? Like I say, I think on the whole it would be worse for the league. It woupd favour the top sides. You don't have to try and validate your point of view with a veneer of elitism though.

An extra 20 minutes of actual playing time would be crazy, like :lol: When was the last good ET? It's usually two teams knackered strolling around and constantly going down with cramp. 

Imagine that twice a week over the course of a season. You'd just end up with a worst product overall, games would have to be played with less tempo and intensity and half the players would be out injured come the 2nd half of the season. 

There are massive parallels between us in the second half of 21/22 and Villa in the second half of 22/23. Effect of new manager, similar results and points totals, new found defensive stability, lots of points with overperformance of xG for and against, eyecatching wins against top teams like our home win against Arsenal....

The differences I see between summer 22 NUFC and summer 23 Villa are that we had a key player to return from injury as effectively a new signing (Trippier), the then-most expensive player ever bought by a non Sky team in Isak, and a big step up at goalkeeper and Botman to shore up the defensive stability. Villa are going into this season with injuries, including a key one to Ramsey, but so did we with the Wilson injury that inspired the Isak purchase. If Diaby can be Isak and their new defenders, returning Carlos etc. can be Botman, and others can step up and chip in, that lad who was at Boro etc., they have a chance. They'll have to do it with European football though, and are starting with injuries already and no WC break this time.

8 hours ago, Mountain said:

22.JPG

11.JPG

You're creepy tbh.

3 hours ago, Jaqen said:

An extra 20 minutes of actual playing time would be crazy, like :lol: When was the last good ET? It's usually two teams knackered strolling around and constantly going down with cramp. 

Imagine that twice a week over the course of a season. You'd just end up with a worst product overall, games would have to be played with less tempo and intensity and half the players would be out injured come the 2nd half of the season. 

Agreed. I’m a stop the clock nonce but not for the sake of a terrible last 20 mins. 

3 hours ago, Jaqen said:

It's not going to be an extra 20 minutes of playing time though, some ridiculous hyperbole here.

4 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

It's not going to be an extra 20 minutes of playing time though, some ridiculous hyperbole here.

That's what LFEE was arguing for, no? 75-80 minutes of actual football. The average match right now is only 55 minutes of football. 75-80 minutes is a massive increase. You won't even get that in games that go to ET. 

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

That's what LFEE was arguing for, no? 75-80 minutes of actual football. The average match right now is only 55 minutes of football. 75-80 minutes is a massive increase. You won't even get that in games that go to ET. 

I thought we were talking about the new rules?  No that's stupid talk.

11 hours ago, gbandit said:

What were MON’s tactics? I just remember him getting a quality wedge to spend at all his clubs but I have barely any recollection of the type of football he played. It wasn’t hoof it and it wasn’t about quality passing, what did he go for?

He went for a player who groomed an under-age girl