Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

Tactically it reminded me of the game against Brighton at home last season where our style of play is almost perfect for the opposition but Howe being tactically astute meant that the adjustments were made to close that the best we can.

To be fair to Villa they still played well and created chances, it was when they changed formation with 25 minutes to go to try and get back in the game that the wheels really came off for them. 

Up until that change we were the better side but it wasn’t a one sided game.

10 hours ago, gbandit said:

They controlled the first half more than we did, we were just very clinical. They’ll have a quality season but I don’t think they’ll match the run that Emery took them on last season 

We should have been 3-0 upafter 10 mins

17 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Just a couple of observations, the Lino at the Gallowgate was absolutely woeful the 1st half, seriously bad.

Madley; let Cash kick Gordon all over the place and then eventually booked him for a clear yellow on its own. Villa player on a yellow pulls Newcastle player down by grabbing the back of shirt, no second yellow and Newcastle player booked for simulating a card. And, the most annoying, after yet another pretty cynical foul at the end of the 1st half Madley punishes us by blowing for HT as the free kick is in flight into their box. Really, you winding us up?

Couldn’t agree more, just blow before the free kick if you’re going to blow immediately, massive weirdo of a ref who was utter shit at everything 

Edited by gbandit

tin hat on.......we had a mare.....you were great going forward and isak is gonna have a stormer of a season.  

start him in every big game, you will be casing every team problems in the PL, CL and cups.

we seemed to be affected by mings injury and never recovered, plus you swarmed us.

sobering day, but in the words of bruce, 'we go again'........

6 minutes ago, Paz said:

tin hat on.......we had a mare.....you were great going forward and isak is gonna have a stormer of a season.  

start him in every big game, you will be casing every team problems in the PL, CL and cups.

we seemed to be affected by mings injury and never recovered, plus you swarmed us.

sobering day, but in the words of bruce, 'we go again'........

Actually thought Villa looked good. They just collapsed late on. They will smash most sides. 

Mings injury certainly changed it hugely. Had he stayed on the defence wouldn't have lost their heads. I don't agree with Emery's suggestion if Cash scores to make it 3-2 they are back in it, they would have pushed as much and we saw what happened with that high line and Barnes. But up until that 3rd goal Villa absolutely fully in it. 

32 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Such a statement win. If Arsenal did this to a highly-rated Villa side, pundits would be talking them up for the title.

Has @brummie been in with his thoughts yet :shifty:?

:lol: We're really turning into Yankees fans with these callouts of @brummie.

Villa are going to finish top 6, imo. I think we just caught them at the right time.

It would have been a much tighter game if Villa had dropped the high line, even at 2-1.

At 3-1, and 4-1 you would have thought that they would drop it just for damage control. As much as Emery has done a great job there, he dropped a clanger in that game, and he can’t repeat that, because any top half team has the ability to just destroy you when you play a high line like that.

Edited by Stifler

I didn’t want us to sign him when we were linked but Tielemans could never have played for us under Howe. Isn’t physical enough, doesn’t cover enough ground, isn’t dynamic. Got shown up by our midfield yesterday. 

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

I didn’t want us to sign him when we were linked but Tielemans could never have played for us under Howe. Isn’t physical enough, doesn’t cover enough ground, isn’t dynamic. Got shown up by our midfield yesterday. 

Said it previously, but such a bizarre signing for Villa (or any team with top half aspirations). Bloke is finished.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Actually thought Villa looked good. They just collapsed late on. They will smash most sides. 

Agree, Howe said the same thing basically, for an hour it felt like it could go either way, but that third goal killed them.

7 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Had no idea he'd even been on the pitch until checking the match reports this morning. Anonymous. 

6 minutes ago, St1pe said:

He will be a good signing of them, obviously he stunk yesterday but playing against our high energy style really isn’t his bag. 

Villa should be slightly concerned though midfield la led mobility and didn’t cover the half spaces well at all. 

Rough debut for Torres too.