Lewis Hall

Paully

Really surprised to see him getting a bit of stick. I thought the team looked more

balanced with him in as opposed to Kelly. At least in possession, anyway. Maybe balanced is the wrong word. As we still offer fuck all down the right. 

Anyway. I feel like him getting criticism for yesterday baffling, TBH. Plenty of our bigger name players had far worse games. Take your pick from pretty much anyone in the outfield starting XI bar probably Schar and Gordon. Tino on the other side had a much worse game. Feels like he’s being made a bit of a scapegoat. 

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Really surprised to see him getting a bit of stick. I thought the team looked more

balanced with him in as opposed to Kelly. At least in possession, anyway. Maybe balanced is the wrong word. As we still offer fuck all down the right. 

Anyway. I feel like him getting criticism for yesterday baffling, TBH. Plenty of our bigger name players had far worse games. Take your pick from pretty much anyone in the outfield starting XI bar probably Schar and Gordon. Tino on the other side had a much worse game. Feels like he’s being made a bit of a scapegoat. 

Yeah I don’t think he was particularly at fault, it was more of a collective thing. Burn was class at times but also looked cumbersome at times. We looked far too easy to play through at times in general.

I’m of the opinion now that him and Burn can’t play together, and I’d rather Burn makes way for Kelly.

Hall isn’t speedy, so when he’s playing high, we need a LCB who’s got recovery pace and Kelly offers that and Burn doesn’t. Otherwise, teams will attack that side more meaning Hall has to defend more, which in turns shows his weaknesses and doesn’t get his strengths by being further forward.

I enjoy him going forward and popping off one twos with the LW LCM, happily taking ball with back to goal. It’s what we need to open up sides and keep possession higher up, just on transition we’re so weak. 

image.thumb.png.7bc34b6484311c34d30d84aed391af7a.png

11th most progressive passer in the league per 90 so far this season. This is extremely impressive given that we have had poor possession in practically all games so far. 

5 hours ago, Sibierski said:

I’m of the opinion now that him and Burn can’t play together, and I’d rather Burn makes way for Kelly.

Hall isn’t speedy, so when he’s playing high, we need a LCB who’s got recovery pace and Kelly offers that and Burn doesn’t. Otherwise, teams will attack that side more meaning Hall has to defend more, which in turns shows his weaknesses and doesn’t get his strengths by being further forward.

I enjoy him going forward and popping off one twos with the LW LCM, happily taking ball with back to goal. It’s what we need to open up sides and keep possession higher up, just on transition we’re so weak. 

Yeah, also think that Kelly should get a chance ahead of Burn. 

Hall is young though, so no real rush to play him every game. 

5 hours ago, Sibierski said:

Agree completely, with both Dan and Lewis on the left we have a "slow" side where any winger with pace can do us!

Would like to see Kelly at centre back, but don´t think Eddie will pull BDB even though he seems to be struggling.

Not been as good as I expected this season but you can still tell he has a lot of potential and ability . Would much rather we continue playing him than say dropping him and moving Burn back to left back.

1 hour ago, Smal said:

11th most progressive passer in the league per 90 so far this season. This is extremely impressive given that we have had poor possession in practically all games so far. 

Harwood Bellis maybe a decent pick up when Southampton go down.

On the ball he's looking good. Seems like the tactic often is to work the ball to him most the time when we play out the back. So good to see Eddie and team have trust in him on the ball to build the attacks. 

The problems are out of possession. He gets caught out often and pretty much every player he has faced so far has beaten him 1v1 quite comfortably. With the next closest player to him being Burn the issue is compounded. You could see Semedo's body language change when he saw Burn and Hall ahead of him knowing he could go around them. 

I think we have to persevere and let him learn by playing as he will only get better with time. 

Alternatively we switch Tino back to Lb like we did at times last season (which in certain games I would like to see if we need to be more defensive) But that isn't ideal for Tino or Hall's development. 

He plays very similar to Luke Shaw. However Shaw always had really good pace, which Hall unfortunately lacks. But on the ball he has a lot of qualities. 

He's not good at defending and he's not pacy. Are we sure LB is his best position?

Even if he ends up better at defending, he's not close to being the end product, and his lack of pace will always be a limiting factor. We should have gotten a lot more for 30m than potential. Arsenal got Timber for 40m and he's a complete player. It feels like LB is going to be a weak spot for us for the next few years as we've invested too much to change strategy now. The PSR bullshit means we can't really correct this mistake quickly.

Opened this thread to see what’s going on and glad to see people defending him, the lad waited patiently last season for a go and seems to have a great attitude, he’s just 20 and I can’t recall losing many games when he’s played the bulk of them yet people just load on him, baffles me to be honest.

On 16/09/2024 at 15:29, Smal said:

Not sure about these stats, that indicate he has created around as much threat as Pickford...

3 hours ago, Taylor Swift said:

He's not good at defending and he's not pacy. Are we sure LB is his best position?

Even if he ends up better at defending, he's not close to being the end product, and his lack of pace will always be a limiting factor. We should have gotten a lot more for 30m than potential. Arsenal got Timber for 40m and he's a complete player. It feels like LB is going to be a weak spot for us for the next few years as we've invested too much to change strategy now. The PSR bullshit means we can't really correct this mistake quickly.

:dowie:

'I have doubts about him' - Anderson

"Holes" in Lewis Hall's defensive game "have been there for everyone to see", says former Newcastle United defender John Anderson.

Hall joined the Magpies from Chelsea on loan in August 2023, before completing a permanent move this summer.

However, the 20-year-old left-back has struggled to secure a regular spot in Eddie Howe's side since making his debut nearly 12 months ago, playing 22 times in the Premier League but starting just 10 games.

"I have doubts about him from a defensive point of view," Anderson told BBC Radio Newcastle. "Some of the positions he takes up aren't great. 

"I think it is mainly the case that he isn't defensive minded. He wants to get on the ball, he wants to get forward, he wants to join in, which I know is your modern day full-back and I appreciate that, but when it comes to defending you have got to do it.

"You have to be in the right areas, you can't leave holes in behind you and, in the games he has played this season, they have been there for everyone to see.

"He is still 20 years of age but whether he sees his future long-term as a full-back or not, I don't know. 

"The boy can play the game, there is no doubt about it, I just feel defensively, he doesn't think defensively. All his thoughts are about getting forward and joining in and when it is coming the other way, he doesn't think 'danger'."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cy94jx820n2o.amp

Just think he has to much to do under howes tactics the same with tino. Playing infield instead of the up and down the line like most fullbacks are used to. But it will come eventually.