Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Schar and Botman didn’t deserve to lose that game, mind. Schar once again utterly flawless but gets very little credit.

We were too slow in the build up throughout. Too many players need that extra touch you don’t get against opposition of that quality. 

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

Think tonali adapted the best out of our three centre mids which is promising. Burn I love the lad but we were very limited by having to go right flank all the time by his dilly dally touch and come inside before releasing it. 

Yep, they pinned us on the right, and we couldn’t really answer that because they knew that Gordon was fairly isolated and for whatever reason Joelinton couldn’t really contribute in those areas.

5 minutes ago, wormy said:

Has Pep ever actually shown a certain air of relief after beating us in the past? That fist pump really had a 'thank fuck we got past that lot' feel.

Its been a hard week for him and his team. 

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I agree but there comes a point when they need upgrading. The finest of margins matter in games against opposition of Man City's calibre and similar and Almiron doesn't face up to it, he's too one footed and his decision making in build up is mostly poor. 5 PL assists in 146 appearances is one such stat that shows that.

It will come, but we can't do it yet.

We're like 2 seasons ahead of schedule so patience is needed.

Just a dull game, that :lol:

Anyway, think we've nowt to be concerned about after that.

Think we can match City on terms of how we set up and our energy.

Difference is that they just have better players and when they're on we just can't compete with them. They were missing some important players and even then I don't think a single player from our team gets in their starting lineup tonight? Maybe someone ahead of Alvarez? And he of course scored a brilliant goal that decided the game.

I could say it'll take us a few years to get to where they are now but in reality we probably never will, and likely won't have to to win trophies. They're frighteningly good and them regressing seems more likely than any team in England getting to their level.

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

Only player that tried to make something happen in the City half :lol:.

Vast majority of our attacks only happening because of Almiron made space for himself.

I totally agree. What he lacked in quality he made up for in balls. It was weird.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

And Foden was really good, but I have to say that I don't really get why we didn't man mark him from 20 minutes on. I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know what it is.

Who was going to man mark him? Burn?

8 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Hearing Rio is fucking annoying.

He just sounds stupid, then what he does say is fucking stupid.

Honestly man, no idea why he’s got a job as a pundit, surely there is a better ex Man Utd player who can arse lick who’s less of a fucking idiot, and less annoying.

It's they way he's absolutely takes himself so seriously when he's speaking as well.  Like he's always saying something profound.

Thick as mince.

I'd probably rather lose 6-2 in cut and thrust game than lose a game like that. Suffocating, dominant, perfectionist misery. Really just feels like I've completely wasted my life watching it tbh :lol:Never at any point felt like we were going to score a goal, whereas City never really seemed like they wanted to pull us apart. 

We were always going to have to be pretty much at our best to get a result tnite and we weren't. One huge positive is even though we were a little off it we still kept ourselves in it and lost by 1 goal to the best team in the world.

As said, Botman and Schar absolutely class. Foden sadly also was top. Let's fucking batter Liverpool next weekend, huge game to come. 

Just now, ponsaelius said:

I'd probably rather lose 6-2 in cut and thrust game than lose a game like that. Suffocating, dominant, perfectionist misery. Really just feels like I've completely wasted my life watching it tbh :lol:Never at any point felt like we were going to score a goal, whereas City never really seemed like they wanted to pull us apart. 

I couldn't agree more :lol: It was so dull 

Just now, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I know it was an electric game of football when we drew 3-3 but they had fewer chances tonight. 

I think they were just focused on exhausting the team. They easily could have had a few more tbh.

I generally don’t think Burn is up to much at LB in possession, but he was quality tonight I thought. Better defensively than offensively, obviously, but didn’t find myself griping at him much. Certainly not when compared to a few others!