Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

They've won 17 games at the Etihad in a row. There's no "we're not there yet." No one is, that's the point. You need a lucky bounce or a worldie or them well, well off it to get anything there. 

Annoying as fuck but whatever. Into those horrific, horrific, red, teeth-grinding cunts next Sunday.

This is the one. Fuck Liverpool FC and their whiny, woe is me manager with the silver spoon in his mouth. Let’s tear them apart.

3 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

I never expected anything from that, so I'm just quite happy to see man City shitting it and running down the clock, a sign of huge progress.

They weren't IMO.

Too many errors or bad choices in promising positions by our main threats. Bruno and his shot when to his left he had isaak and Barnes. 

Then Wilson with three runners and runs into there centreback. Bringing on livramento to late and then not even trying to find him with the ball. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

A 1-0 battling loss at the Etihad is as good as you could ever ask for realistically. We're getting closer to them, but out season isn't defined by this game. Anything from it is a bonus. The fact we didn't lose a substantial amount of goal difference is handy.

Now let's go and smash Liverpool.

You touch on a good point there.

Our season may not be defined by this game, but I think City’s maybe. They have beaten us in a difficult game, but their rivals may not be able too.

Bit disappointed that we didn’t create more, but expected a loss. They’re a level above, although boring. Pep is possibly the greatest manager ever but I’ll never love his style, his possession above all philosophy.

I don’t think we were awful, but they were so much better. Not sure how you actually hurt them, as they don’t have a single weakness. Having said that, we had small opportunities but no shame on any player really. The only teams that can get close to these are ones with genuinely world class players in them that take those chances. We don’t have those (yet). 

Massive shout out to Schar and Botman though. They were absolutely colossal.

The lads did themselves proud, limited City to less than a handful of chances and were competative throughout.

Frustratingly we never laid a glove on them. Bruno and Tonali were both decent in the middle, but Kovacic and Foden were different gravy.

Despite plenty of effort, their press was absolutely suffocating, their quality on the ball superb and they ultimately had too much quality all over the pitch.

Schar was my MotM with Botman and Bruno honourable mentions. Not a result to beat ourselves up about by any means.

Could have snuck a cheeky draw today. Ah well. Defence was so impressive I thought.

We'll continue to learn and get better. No disgrace tonight.

Grealish again doing nothing but people will continue to say he's been class for Man City. Foden yet again showing him how it's done, class player.

Not a bad result again this ridiculous Man City team, we were great defensively but they only need one chance. On another day maybe we could have snatched a goal but it wasn't to be.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

They're just absolutely in another stratosphere to us atm.

If we're hoping to be as good as Pep's City at home - aka, by a distance the best team the league has ever seen - then we'll never be satisfied. 

Just now, Conjo said:

People slagging off Almiron, Burn and Longstaff calling them fucking shite, useless etc etc can go fuck themselves btw.

I agree when people go OTT, but Almiron and Longstaff were poor tonight. Especially the latter when he came on.

Not going to get too downbeat about that, it's the toughest fixture in the whole sport. They're still way way better than we are but we'll get there eventually. Take it on the chin and focus on nailing those scouse cunts to the fucking wall next week