Newcastle United vs. Liverpool: 27/08/23 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

43 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Billy Whitehurst!

From Wiki - “Whitehurst's robust style of play attracted much notoriety and he is considered by many to have been the hardest player to have played the game”.

When we played Hull away in 89/90 Whitehurst was back there. A few of us got tickets in the directors box as a lad from school had signed for Hull. Before the match in the bar beneath, Whitehurst was serving behind the bar as he was injured.

The bar was busy but when the racing was on Billy stopped serving.

Nobody dared argue otherwise 

20 hours ago, Ben said:

Would a bottom 10 team have that overturned ? 

No. How many times do we see red cards overturned these days? It usually has to be a shocker of a decision for that to happen. If it was a Bournemouth player, the officials would just have said it's not a clear and obvious error, and it wasn't.

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's mad how VAR can't correct the referee during the game but afterwards it's all good to change things. 

I could say for the millionth time that the whole thing is flawed but that would be boring.

Imagine if he'd got a three game ban for that though. :lol:

Disappointing from a Liverpool-hating pov but absolutely the correct outcome.

22 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

It was a shocker of a decision, mind.

It was a dubious decision at best. The point being made was that once it was made it would not have been overturned in favour of a lesser club because the PL will always try to support their officials. The only reason they didn't in this case is because they will always defer to Liverpool as they one of the hallowed clubs who are quick to remind the PL who their paymasters are.

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I could say for the millionth time that the whole thing is flawed but that would be boring.

Imagine if he'd got a three game ban for that though. :lol:

Disappointing from a Liverpool-hating pov but absolutely the correct outcome.

We’ve seen them given though Clive 

I think Liverpool hatred is clouding judgement on this one.  If that had been given against us and not overturned I'd have been fuming. 

Frustrating that it benefits them and directly against us but correct to overturn.

I'm really not sure what to expect from this one. It's early days but it looks like Klopp is still finding his best starting eleven. So far they've looked rather gung-ho, effectively fielding eight attackers. It's shown too, they've shown vulnerability against Chelsea and during the first half v Bournemouth.

The gaps they leave between the lines should have us licking our lips and I fully expect us to create plenty of chances. It's the other end I worry. Again it's early days, but we looked really open v Villa and gifted them a couple of big chances. Liverpool have the best collection of forwards in the league, so I fully expect them to bag here.

No idea what to expect in terms of a result, but I fully expect this to be an open affair with plenty of chances: 2-2

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Really difficult game, think our weaknesses really play into Liverpool’s strength. Think there will be a few goals in this one. I expect their extra attacking quality and pace to win it for them. 

Similarly, I think their weaknesses play to our strengths.

We should steamroll their midfield, unless this new lad comes in and is the new Kante. 

Of course getting opened up on the break is the big threat, I do wonder if Nunez might start (despite taking him out of my FPL team :lol: )

Always going to be a very tough start to the season but at the very worst it's a 50/50 for me. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Fuck them, we should have beaten them twice last year. Isak's 2nd at their place was onside and at home we'd have beaten them with 11. Hate these bastards let's give them the treatment we gave Man Utd at home last year. The players should be absolutely bang up for this one given everything Klopp says about us. 

38 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We should steamroll their midfield, unless this new lad comes in and is the new Kante. 

Of course getting opened up on the break is the big threat, I do wonder if Nunez might start (despite taking him out of my FPL team :lol: )

Always going to be a very tough start to the season but at the very worst it's a 50/50 for me. 

I was thinking that if our midfield trio turn it on at the weekend then the poor guys pl career could be over before it starts. 

basically I want the Neil Cox treatment x3

Salah might not even make the sqaud for this. Seems like a real possibility that he's off to Saudi.

Ofcourse there's a good chance he makes this his last appearance and leaves next week, but either way it could fuel some unrest amongst the squad.