Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

I'm absolutely livid at that, where was our intensity? Where was our desire? That second half was nothing short of disgraceful and those subs pretty much put the nail in our coffin, we had total control over that midfield and taking off Tonali and Joe was irresponsible to say the least. What's even worse is having to sit here and watch it with 2 bin dippers cheering at the TV, fucking fuming. 

I'm not writing off any players or anything buy today was beyond unacceptable, no one comes out of this looking good. 

The disturbing thing is we were poor in the first half, I really expected Howe to rip into them at half time but the fact we came out and served that up is alarming. 

I still very much doubt he sent them out and fold them to play that way, it’s contrary to everything we know about him and his methods. 

2 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Threw that away - really sloppy 2nd half, just didn’t move the ball quick enough. Taking off Gordon and Tonali we’re mistakes from Howe.

no time for panic - learn the lessons and move on. 

It was but Tonali was definitely huffing and puffing and Gordon was run ragged. Did look like he had more left in the tank though. Tonali was making mistakes like Bruno leaving gaps. We have looked vulnerable through the middle all pre-season. We leave too many holes and the last 20 minutes of the game we invited liverpool in to fill them and we paid for it. 

It is a hard learning curve for a young squad. We didn't take our chances, of which there were too many. They took the two they had. We have to be more clinical, especially against the best teams. Same last season, looks the same this year. 

We were poor. Very disappointed not to win that, I wouldn't have been so pissed had they just played better than us but that felt like we were played like a fiddle by Klopp, let us have posession for most teh second half then upped the intensity and our players lost their heads and composure. We should have scored more goals and then sloppy at the end. With Brighton next if that is a loss then has to be an overall negative start to the season unfortunately. 

We will bounce back and recover of course. I will avoid all football related stuff for a bit though. 

As seems to always be the case with Liverpool - a total sickener. Spurned some good chances and would be a different story had they gone in but it still feels like we got we deserved by giving them too much respect, not killing the game off when in the position to do so and just generally playing far too conservatively when 1-0 up for 2/3 of the game against 10 men at home.

Just now, r0cafella said:

The disturbing thing is we were poor in the first half, I really expected Howe to rip into them at half time but the fact we came out and served that up is alarming. 

I still very much doubt he sent them out and fold them to play that way, it’s contrary to everything we know about him and his methods. 

His subs were atrocious. He cost us the game with them. Nothing else needs said. 

That's the sickest I've felt after a game of football in a long long time, just off the top of my head the last time i felt like this was when adam Johnson scored the winner against us for the mackems just before Christmas  2014....I genuinely feel like I need to cry honestly, was inevitable that they would get the equaliser, we squandered far to many chances... but did not see them leaving  with all 3 points..... over the last 3 years I have tried so hard to remove all elements of bad feelings and hate from my life for various personal reasons, I can honestly say hand on heart that I dont hate any one or anything, buy I have to admit Liverpool and klopp come very close

Edited by GavMcEl

1 minute ago, Dyeyzzon said:

Aye, right about the pre-planned subs. Tonali was exactly the kind of player we needed in those last few minutes to control the midfield, but no, gotta give Longstaff more match minutes.

I rate Longstaff but he’s not going to do what Tonali does. Proper “let’s shore things up” change but instead we surrendered everything.

Gordon for Barnes was worse. Gordon was on a one. They couldn’t cope with him. To take him off and leave Miggy on is fucking daft.

2 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

Time to stay off social media and forums for a few days I think. Can’t stand the brain dead comments.

we have a long way to go still, a few more windows and we won’t have Burn and Targett and the pitch together. 

Sorry, hope this doesn't come across as aggressive or anything but "long way to go still" from what exactly?   

Comfortably dominating at team at home for 30mins, being 1-0 up and having them reduced to 10 men and not being able to win the match after 90mins?

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Just me who thinks we conceded the initiative there? At home against ten men for the entire second half? Just looked scared IMO.

There's no excuse for losing the initiative against 10 men like, it's 100% our fault. Managers play a box midfield for the sole purpose of gaining a man advantage and controlling the game, and having an extra man does that for you.

Whatever, we'll get past it but failing to make use of the extra space we were given is pretty shocking like.