Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

Over it already tbh. We've got a nice run of games coming up soon so we'll be fine.

Liverpool really aren't great though, and unless they make some big signings they're a shadow of what they were. That Endo looks absolutely shite.

Really hope Botman will be ok and Gordon was brilliant. We just need a player like him on the right and that would make us so much stronger.

Liverpool did not play well, they were second best for the whole of the game which is the real kicker.

Our issue is that we did not attempt to finish them off and kept with the same tactics when they dropped to 10 men, at no time did we look to use the extra man as an advantage to us and instead let the clock run down to the point where we were caught between finishing them off late and sitting on what we had.

The result is 100% on Howe.

Woke up this morning like many still pissed off, last time I had this feeling was when Pedro scored that equaliser for Watford. But, we all know what happened after that game, so get ready for another long winning run.

I'm over this fixture now tbh. I've been desperate for revenge for a year now, every time we manage to find some way to balls it up. Can't even be arsed to hate Klopp any more, he's winning so maybe he's earned the right to be a jaw grinding cunt.

Fuck the return fixture as well at Anfield, no expectations at all now, we aren't clinical enough in some areas and the lack of killer instinct will show itself on occasions. On with the next one and let's see if we can get some points on board.

At times we looked like we hadn’t played as a team before. Players getting in each others way. No movement. Then the bizarre subs just gave that feeling of inevitability.  Like watching a car crash in slow motion. You could see what was coming.  

I think Howe’s decision making has me more gutted than the nature of the defeat. 

7 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Liverpool did not play well, they were second best for the whole of the game which is the real kicker.

Our issue is that we did not attempt to finish them off and kept with the same tactics when they dropped to 10 men, at no time did we look to use the extra man as an advantage to us and instead let the clock run down to the point where we were caught between finishing them off late and sitting on what we had.

The result is 100% on Howe.

Experience and in-game intelligence factor in too. The first 10-15 minute of the second half were fine. We were direct and looked to get Gordon running at TAA.

It was when Liverpool started to get a foothold we lost our way and didn't know whether to stick or twist.

For me, without any knowledge of his fitness, taking Tonali off was Howe's biggest error.

That said, Miggy or Barnes sticks one of our chances away and no one is having this discussion.

Gordon was the best player on the pitch up until the sending off so I have no idea why Howe didn’t instruct the team to get the ball to him at every opportunity and to constantly run at Trent, he was a sending off waiting to happen.

There was no effort to isolate Trent or pressure him after the sending off.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Experience and in-game intelligence factor in too. The first 10-15 minute of the second half were fine. We were direct and looked to get Gordon running at TAA.

It was when Liverpool started to get a foothold we lost our way and didn't know whether to stick or twist.

For me, without any knowledge of his fitness, taking Tonali off was Howe's biggest error.

That said, Miggy or Barnes sticks one of our chances away and no one is having this discussion.

We didn’t look to get Gordon running at Trent at all, quite the opposite. Once the sending off happened we hardly isolated Trent at all.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

Gordon was the best player on the pitch up until the sending off so I have no idea why Howe didn’t instruct the team to get the ball to him at every opportunity and to constantly run at Trent, he was a sending off waiting to happen.

There was no effort to isolate Trent or pressure him after the sending off.

That's what we were doing pretty much whenever we got the ball. At the beginning of the second half Gordon running at TAA created the Almiron chance and almost created and opening for Tonali.

1 hour ago, 5th Place FC said:

I used to like Newcastle. Blood money has changed the club to another Chelsea. Yesterday was one of the most enjoyable wins for a long long time. Newcastle’s best team for half a century, we are about 4 players short of a good squad and we go to your fake plastic ground and beat you with ten men hahahaha. Tindall is the biggest pr1ck in football, seeing him trying to shush klopp and then klopp buzzing off him when we went 2-1 up was a truly brilliant brilliant moment. Absolute no-mark he is. Fact is, no matter how much Saudi blood money you spend, you will never ever be a club if the stature of liverpool despite how much you all want it.

Love you all. 

Tbf I never liked Liverpool, always hated them since the early days when the city was a racist hotbed and both Merseyside clubs refused to sign black players long after everyone else had broke the mold.

Now I just hate them because their fans are entitled pricks like you. But fair play, yous won the game so congratulations and kindly fuck off.

It's a punch to the stomach but we need to get over it fast. We need to react the same way Villa did. 

Liverpool know they got away with one. Their fans aren't known for being gracious in victory and the plastic ones are all coming out the woodwork to gloat but their proper fans will know that if they don't improve performances soon, that kind of result's not sustainable. Ignore the kids/idiots/twats coming on trolling and gloating. They feel their cartel is being challenged and it worries them. I bet they don't go on Brentford or Bournemouth forums. 

Getting back to us, if we can go and beat Brighton, we'd still be able to call that a decent start to the season with a good run of games to follow it. One win and it's a happy place again. I doubt many Villa fans are still reflecting on our game. 

The main worry now is Botman's injury. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

That's what we were doing pretty much whenever we got the ball. At the beginning of the second half Gordon running at TAA created the Almiron chance and almost created and opening for Tonali.

He seemed to run more at him

before the sending off than after. 

Trent is not a good defender and is prone to errors; however he was never forced in to mistakes or pressured anywhere near enough as he should be.

It says a great deal that we are so disappointed to have been the better side for 60/70minutes vs Liverpool at home and to come off with a narrow defeat. Last year this was unthinkable and the years prior to that it certainly was.

That's not to say we shouldn't be disappointed. 11 vs 10 for the majority of the game and in the lead - we shouldn't have thrown it away, but the reality is that Liverpool have a history of winning leagues and cups, they have a team of former champions and a champion mentality. We don't. We have a try hard, live and learn, hopeful attitude where we're grateful for whatever we achieve. The same could be said about the cup final.

We are some way from having that, but it will come. Priority has to be a top 4 spot again for us until such a point our squad is capable of competing across multiple platforms and then hopefully we'll pick up a league cup to set the ball rolling. That first cup will (hopefully!) be the catalyst for multiple cup and potentially league wins. Its just a dark cloud that hangs over us at present.

I'll be honest, I get a bit too caught up in the atmosphere at times to do a proper analysis, but I thought Gordon was outstanding, Tonali and Joelinton were excellent too but we just seemed to come off the boil for a brief period. That was enough 'blood' for them to smell and latch on to and just through some sloppy defensive errors and quality finishing we lost the game. A bit of rub of the green/improved movement/finishing might well have seen us see the game off comfortably - thinking back to when Wilson ran offside and Miggy hit the post in particular.

I think we'd be naive to not accept that Liverpool are a good side though and deserved their win. They kept themselves in the game, boxed both hard and smart and took their chances. I used to like Klopp but his arrogance has usurped his modesty in recent years and now I cannot stand the bastard, but every time he beats us, he has the right to be just that.

Liverpool are a siege mentality club, which is where they differ from Man United and where we have a striking similarity in my opinion. We're at our best as a club when we're the underdog, when folk expect nothing of us. I think the two clubs are very similar in that regard. Only in more recent history (if you can call it that!) they've managed to harness that into something more successful and we've been incredibly mismanaged at varying levels since the late 90s.

Personally, I don't hate Liverpool, they're probably in some way what I want us to be, (some way!) But I cannot stand that twat Klopp and some of their self-righteousness.

Brighton up next and it's important we get something. A draw there would also be massive and we then need to start getting points on the board in the games we'd expect to. Things seem doom and gloom after two losses but in reality we've played the best club on the planet at present and been a bit naive vs a quality side. Live and learn. We have to move forward and have faith in our ability both on and off the pitch and need to ensure we don't get carried away to the point its at our detriment, as has been the case under previous managers...

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

It's a routine save. Nowt special about it.

Was a good save imo but not as good as I expected it to look. 

Looked incredible from the corner, but I would be a bit disappointed if that beat Pope. 

17 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Out of this world? Bang in the middle of the goal. Average shot and save.

Give Allison a shout mate, tell him he should have done better in the 0.2 seconds he had to react. He's nearly at full stretch when he saves it ffs [emoji38]