Rating the 2023 Summer Transfer Window

How would you rate the transfer window?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the transfer window?

53 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Whilst I would have loved us to fill all the gaps in the squad we had clear constraints and we've obviously chosen to build this as a long term project rather than the Chelsea/Man City approach. Top 4 has probably clouded a lot of our judgements, but in a few years we'll have a squad that can compete. 

I just hope the top brass see it the same way. 

2 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

I just hope the top brass see it the same way. 

Depends who we class the top brass as. Staveley/Ghodoussi/Jamie Reuben probably. The Saudis are still a question mark. The ambition they're showing to get the Saudi League up there is probably the same ambition they have for this club and we don't know how they would tolerate regression or "failure" this season.

Edited by Skeletor

• 3 months later...

I don't think there's any realistic foresight the club or anyone could have had to know about a gambling ban and the worst injury crisis in the whole time I've been supporting the club. It would be unfair of me to use that as part of any hindsight so I won't. I gave it a 7.5 and said we were an AM/RW and a RCB away from a 10, I stand by that. 

Tino - A revelation. Five years from now he'll probably be on a list with Bruno, Botman, and others as some of the best signings of the PIF era.

Barnes - I think he would have been exactly what we thought we were getting. Just a very unlucky injury. I also think we might have seen more of Gordon on the RW if Barnes had been available, which could have made that seem like less of an urgent need for upgrading.

Hall - An opportunistic signing for the future. I thought he'd be more involved given the injuries, but I guess he's not ready. I'm curious if he's less ready than the club would have thought. I'm also less sure now what position we have in mind for him.

Minteh - Obviously not helping us this year, but seems a good signing. At minimum he appears on track to collect a profit.

Tonali - When the biggest spend goes on a player who gets banned for a year that's obviously going to make things look worse in hindsight. He had a slow start, but I think he would have helped us a lot in the last three CL games. He's cost us a lot in more ways than one, so he's going to need to be a star caliber player next season to make up for it.

Edited by timeEd32

Hall's the only one that you can justifiably raise an eyebrow at imo, because the jury is out on two of the other three and Tino is objectively just a canny signing.

But it's not like Hall's signing prevented a different one from happening and besides, it's only the injury crisis which has increased the levels of scrutiny on it. If he's not as good as the scouting reports suggested then fine, it's a bit of a swing and a miss; but it's plausible that he was never meant for regular first team football this season. 

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, but it seems most of us rated our summer business between 7-8 (myself included). Looking back and with the benefit of that hindsight do you standby your assessment?

Yep I rated it low as I thought we had not upgraded the first choice 11 enough. I'm a big believer that you upgrade your first team first,!then the players who were first choice, will become squad players. You're killing two birds with one stone that way. If I rated the transfer window now, I would actually probably give it an even lower mark. 

Edited by et tu brute

I thought the window was fine.

Ideally, we'd have also sold Almiron to Saudi to get funds, but this would have attracted far more scrutiny than Liverpool selling two players to Saudi. Or however many Chelsea players went there. We got to sell Maxi and that was our lot.

Tino's been great, Barnes did look good in the little we saw and should click straight in, Minteh's doing great, and Hall is very young. We needed Bruno backup, and Tonali has the experience/pedigree to qualify. He didn't exactly hit the ground running and has since been banned for something we could not have foreseen, but let's have faith in Tonali's experience and pedigree. We got him for Lavia money, so it should have been canny business. The other Italian lad we were supposedly interested in, Barella at Inter, looks like his numbers are down this season.

The window was a major success if only because we got Tino who’s world class. Barnes had a freak injury, Tonali has really screwed us but how could we have known. Neither of those could have been anticipated and I’m sure they’ll both come back strong. Hall remains a mystery

Think in about 5 years with Leicester Barnes only had 1 injury that kept him out for months rather than weeks [emoji38] Shite luck. Maintain that, at the time, Barnes and Tonali were very clear upgrades to our starting XI. Had both been largely available, we'd likely have been seeing the best of them now.

He looks very good, albeit Liverpool are playing him as an eight 

Diaby is exactly as expected. Brilliant some games, anonymous others (usually against better sides). I assume Emery hasn't been starting him because his system can only accommodate one player who doesn't graft.

On 01/09/2023 at 13:49, The College Dropout said:

I think the small squad might work in our favour (although we are far too light at CB).  Small knit group.  Everyone should get minutes bar one or two.  Howe doesn’t seem to like much rotation anyway. 

This came back to haunt us but I was right about Howe and rotation. 

I think we needed at least 1 creative player. And we still need him. 

Lascelles has been a revelation at CB in the main but we still need an upgrade.  

Everyone would’ve loved Hall to get some more minutes.  But he doesn’t look ready.  

Apart from Tino serious question marks against the rest. Don’t think Barnes or Tonali look like what we needed, just more pace on the wing without any craft in Barnes and Tonali looks another midfield workhorse to me.

Our 2 blue chip signings don’t bring anything different to the table and that’s without even getting into how Tonali comes back from ban.

Give me Kone, Thuram or Diaby over the signings we made. 

Big pressure to get it right going forward or PIF will rightfully start asking questions.