Rating the 2023 Summer Transfer Window

How would you rate the transfer window?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the transfer window?

We're light if the expectation was to fill every hole in the squad. As it is we've upgraded two priority positions, found cover for key players and future proofed full back for potentially the next decade.

Edited by The Prophet

8/10.

Positives:

Signed a class act in CM

Replaced an injury prone LW with one who has had consistent output for a number of years.

Signed two incredibly exciting full backs who give us excellent strength in depth in those positions 

Didn’t lose any of our star players 

Negatives:

Didn’t solve the RCB and RW options

Edited by NSG

Very early days, but I think this might end up being quite a bit lower than some of these ratings. I think we've spent a lot of money to - at least, right now - not make us much better, or address our weaknesses. Takes like this re Tonali seem plausibly not untrue:

😔 Disappointment of season: Sandro Tonali

The casual will expect grandiose things, but us big brains know that he isn’t what people think he is – he’s less Pirlo, more Gattuso. What he actually is suits what Newcastle do to a tee, but I struggle to see how he fits in optimally next to Bruno Guimarães. Dare I suggest that he’ll be back in Italy come the start of next season?

https://www.scoutednotebook.com/i/135916597/disappointment-of-season-sandro-tonali

I know it's a bit of hindsight looking at the Brighton shambles but I thought and think it's at best a 5/10 window. We didn't buy a GK who can kick the ball, a CB with pace, a new starting LB, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder or a better RW. Tonali has replaced Longstaff that's it so far. Gordon who can't finish is keeping Barnes who can out of the starting 11. When we play the so called weaker teams we'll know whether this is a blip or a crisis.

Including January that's two left wingers, neither of which look better than the one we let go for 27m.

Two fullbacks who are on the bench.

I'm not convinced in the slightest. We haven't improved our 11 except for Tonali, and our midfield has looked worse  with him part of it (though I don't think that's his fault)

I've said in the other thread that many of the teams around us (Villa, Brighton, etc..) have had much better windows than we did, we are not a mid-table team anymore and what we needed was more proven top level quality players, aside from Tonali we have not signed that since last summer.

Edited by Newcastle Fan

20 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Very early days, but I think this might end up being quite a bit lower than some of these ratings. I think we've spent a lot of money to - at least, right now - not make us much better, or address our weaknesses. Takes like this re Tonali seem plausibly not untrue:

https://www.scoutednotebook.com/i/135916597/disappointment-of-season-sandro-tonali

I agree to a point but that condescending paragraph is complete nonsense. He’s nothing like gattuso. “Big brained” do me a fucking favour 

22 minutes ago, Jagten said:

I will tattto Bruce’s face on my arse if he’s back in Italy next season. 

Just now, Sempiternal said:

I agree to a point but that condescending paragraph is complete nonsense. He’s nothing like gattuso. “Big brained” do me a fucking favour 

Yeah, for sure. Couldn't find anything else right now but the sentiment was not uncommon. I am not sold yet. 

Just now, Jagten said:

Yeah, for sure. Couldn't find anything else right now but the sentiment was not uncommon. I am not sold yet. 

The only fair point was fitting him in next to Bruno, he’s nothing at all

like Gattuso, Pirlo himself would tell you that 

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

The only fair point was fitting him in next to Bruno, he’s nothing at all

like Gattuso, Pirlo himself would tell you that 

He's not especially progressive, can't be a lone pivot. The comparisons aren't important I just don't see the obvious point especially when he's the only starter you buy. Contrasting profiles of Madison or Lavia would have made more sense to me. 

Just now, Jagten said:

He's not especially progressive, can't be a lone pivot. The comparisons aren't important I just don't see the obvious point especially when he's the only starter you buy. Contrasting profiles of Madison or Lavia would have made more sense to me. 

I don’t agree he’s not progressive but the issue is that it’s unbalanced the midfield massively. 

14 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

I know it's a bit of hindsight looking at the Brighton shambles but I thought and think it's at best a 5/10 window. We didn't buy a GK who can kick the ball, a CB with pace, a new starting LB, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder or a better RW. Tonali has replaced Longstaff that's it so far. Gordon who can't finish is keeping Barnes who can out of the starting 11. When we play the so called weaker teams we'll know whether this is a blip or a crisis.

Agreed. Let’s see how they do by January when we’ve played the full set of PL teams, the LC and Champions League. Could be genius, could be an absolute ‘drop a bollock’ but only time will tell.

Not sure why we seem to be buying english considering how they attract a premium considering our FFP restrictions, also not sure why we wasted money on Livramento when we needed a LB and a CM. 

We spent £69m on Barnes & Livramento plus the £40m (+£5m add ons) we spent on Gordon in January and another £28m (+£7m add ons) on Hall next summer

That's nearly £150m once we pay the add ons on for 4 players, surely we could do better with that money? 

On 01/09/2023 at 16:52, et tu brute said:

7 for now which could rise to 9/10 in a year or two. We have strengthened the squad but still a bit short for the first team imo. Hall and Livermento could well be great for the future though 

Changed my mind I'm putting it as a six as we have not improved the first team enough. We have been crying out for a creative/defensive midfielder and right winger, yet have spent 70 million on two players who are going to get limited minutes. We need to rectify this in January. 

1 minute ago, NUFC said:

Not sure why we seem to be buying english considering how they attract a premium considering our FFP restrictions, also not sure why we wasted money on Livramento when we needed a LB and a CM. 

We spent £69m on Barnes & Livramento plus the £40m (+£5m add ons) we spent on Gordon in January and another £28m (+£7m add ons) on Hall next summer

That's nearly £150m once we pay the add ons on for 4 players, surely we could do better with that money? 

You buy English to give you flexibility elsewhere. Most of your older players are HG and will be replaced over the next year or two (Trippier, Burn, Pope, Wilson etc). I think it’s a great plan tbh.

I’m not saying it’s bad because I that would be reactionary and we obviously have no idea how’s things will turn out yet.

However letting them have 6 weeks or more to ‘settle in’ before playing them when our squad is stretched defeats the point in buying them.

Barnes getting 20 minutes at the end of games, Hall and Livramento left at the training ground.

How are they to ever get the experience?

It was like when Isak was fit to start after his injury and was left out of the squad when Wilson was struggling last season.

Hopefully Livramento and Hall develop into being world beaters as in the short term they're not signings that address more pressing issues. 

Howe made subs at 1-0 to try and get us back into the game, the team that we had on the pitch after those subs had zero summer signings on it. We've spent £140m, not counting Hall. Why is that? Why did we decide not to pursue Maddison or Diaby? (Athletic says we opted to go elsewhere for other positions) Why have we signed Tonali for £60m, substituted him and proceed to look worse in the last 2 matches? Why did we sign Barnes as our main attacking signing, selling ASM in order to fund his purchase, when he is yet to start a match? Why did we choose not to pursue CB cover, a RW, or DM? 

I understand that everything can't be done in 1 window, but the performances in the last 3 games admittedly in difficult fixtures have left a lot to be desired. The issues in the squad that we haven't addressed have played a large part in that.