Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

Humiliating performance from the lot of them.

Nearly lost as many games as last season already :lol:...it's not even the losses though but the manner of the loss today and the one against Liverpool.

Twice in a row Howe looked clueless and couldn't make any changes to improve us.

Wow nearly lost as many as the club record tiny amount clueless Howe managed all last season.  Proof definitive he's shit.

1 minute ago, midds said:

Utter pigshit that, got to be said. Never ever looked like threatening them whilst simultaneously looking shakey at the back. Sloppy, disinterested, lackadaisical, unprofessional and a piece of piss to play against. Credit to Brighton they looked sharp but we stood off them and couldn't get near them. No energy, no zip and look leggy as fuck after only 4 games. First time they've genuinely let Howe and the fans down, that was pathetic 

Villa last season was a no credit performance.

So 3 on the bounce....quality of opposition or not, Eddie's got to show some of the magic from last season, or questions will be starting to be asked. Early season or not but another few without points and he could be in trouble. Not many managers survive 6 in a row without a win now unless they're called Bruce

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The main issue with the last 3 results is the pressure it now puts on the so called easier run of games.

A part of me thinks this humbling start will be good for the players who might have been believing the hype around them.

Definitely going to be good for a lot of fans who have gotten completely carried away with last season's achievements.

Brighton at home wanting to make a statement. They've come prepared the same way we did a few months ago.

Howe had two challenges this summer; what do you prioritize with the transfer budget, and how do you evolve the team tactically. We've signed four players, but I would say only Tonali is in the on paper best XI right now. He has prioritized long-term signings like Hall and Livramento, but that means he has less new cards to play right now down the spine of the field. That in itself isn't a major issue if you're confident your system still works, but it's clear it doesn't right now. Willock is a big miss and Joelinton hasn't looked fit all season. 

This is undoubtedly his first major bump as manager. Three defeats, two very meekly, he has to go away and figure out what he needs to figure out. If he can't then he'll struggle to stay in the job, and that's just the nature of managing a team with a directive to go to the top. 

5 minutes ago, ikri said:

Fucking dreadful from start to finish.  I don't believe there's a single positive thing to say about the game.

At least it looked like the team got over their hangovers by the 90th minute?

You want a positive thing. Wilson got our GD back to 0. Sorry, I have nothing else positive. 

Poor today, much worse than against City or Liverpool and more concerning because of it.

Its a bogey ground to start with, and boy did it feel like one today.

Lots of poor performances across the pitch, so no point in singling anyone out and maybe lucky to escape with 3-1. I presume Brighton have another gear they can access when not being handed gifts like today. 

We were riding an incredible wave of momentum and enthusiasm going into last season and caught alot of teams by surprise with our pressing style etc. 

Was always going to be tougher this year with the extra games and teams now treating us like a big team and being aware of our tactics. 

However it does feel from a starting 11 perspective we aren't much stronger. 

Putting alot of hope in Willock to come in and improve the midfield but so far Joelinton has looked a mile off (like carrying a knock) Bruno looks like he hasn't put in the effort preseason and also looks off it. Tonali is new and adapting with little English. Schar tripper and burn are all a year older and look tired already. 

It's gonna be a long season and I hope fans and owners are patient as there are gonna be more days like today coming. 

The distances and shape between our midfield 3 and defence is just way off. Our only patterns of play for building out from the back are round the sides to the full backs then down the line old school channel ball, or into Bruno as a lonely DM with no-one else near him. We've got to be way better playing out. Sandro and Joelinton have to offer for the ball more and support Bruno to build out. I feel Howe's got to find a new balance to the team personnel or setup in midfield as this one isn't doing it at all. 

Shit happens. I was angry for a bit, but Brighton away is a horrible fixture and they were a horrible team to play against. We were poor but I think some people aren't truly up to speed with how good they are now.

Brighton at home aren't too dissimilar to us at home in terms of the way they suffocate teams and move the ball. Unless we were going to do what West Ham did last week, which isn't really in our wheelhouse, it was always going to be tough and I predicted a loss, almost the exact scoreline.

Honestly, the worst thing about this match will be having to read the inevitable reactionary nonsense on here as if it's still the Brighton of 2017 or something. I saw a post before asking who we'd take from Brighton and that Gordon is better than Mitoma. Just pure insane fantasy land stuff. They have - by quite some distance - put in the best performance I've seen against us under Howe, including the Villa 3-0, they have been extremely irritating with how good they've been in the speed, precision, positioning, and one-touch snap in their play. When they're on it, they'll beat anyone - as we've seen them do - and they were on it today.

It's the first time in a while where I've really had no complaints. We were poor, we had individual poor performances and mistakes, the ref was shit, but none of it would have made any difference had we played well imo.

Even on the odd occasions where we pressed well and moved the ball well, they were so much better than us, played through us, snuffed everything out, and basically schooled us. You don't play badly in a vacuum. It was clear that they pressed us to play badly, or at least worse than we would have with time on the ball. Some might not be able to accept that, but that's my take on it.

Take it on the chin, move on, they were very good.

Pope: 4

Trippier: 5

Schär: 6

Burn: 6

Targett: 6

Bruno: 4.5

Tonali: 5

Joelinton: 5

Gordon: 6

Isak: 6.5

Almiron: 6

Wilson: 6.5

Anderson: 4.5

Barnes: 5

Edited by Kid Icarus

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Of course, here we go :laugh:

Your fault for thinking it's impossible to lose three in a row to the teams we have.

Like seriously, what do you think this is, a video game?

We’ve played 4 games and lost 3 and you’re having a go at people for being annoyed, and doing it while the 3rd defeat was still happening. We all support the same team give people a break. 

1 minute ago, OCK said:

Easily the worst 90 minutes I can remember for a LONG time

I am not quite as deflated as the Liverpool game but it's a close second.  The performance was awful. We're better than this.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I think a few need to calm down a bit.  We lost away to a really good side - it’s nowhere near panic stations yet.  Unless of course you’re expecting us to challenge for the title, in which case panic away you delusional knacker

That would be fine if the performance wasn't an embarrassment.

We are a side that is ultimately lacking in quality and relies on being very well drilled and intensity opponents can't cope with. 

As soon as there's even a small drop off our weaknesses are exposed. The other top sides can afford to have games where they're maybe playing at 60/70% and get bailed out by their quality in attack. 

Fortunately we have a good run after the international break and a chance to build up some momentum. There's so much to learn from what went wrong in the last three games and I'm confident Eddie will be able to address it. 

I’m not even that angry tbh, I’ve come to appreciate what a miracle last season was and always viewed this season as being really difficult. It almost feels a bit transitional. I just hope Howe is given time from fans and the owners.