Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford (16/09/23)

Disco

Maybe being a tad negative but think we are overrating the performances a bit from a few players.

It was a below average performance with very little created, especially that first hour was horrible to watch.

It is a very good and much needed result though, credit to the players pulling through in the end.

Edited by Aiston

Didn't think it was a bad performance at all tbh. The team was a bit put-together with a new forward line plus Anderson and a rusty Longstaff, but Brentford (who are good) were hardly in it and we deserved the win. We weren't super creative but there was some nice football and lots of good individual performances. Thought Barnes and Gordon both put in good shifts. 

Just back in now from the match. Thought it went as I expected, was always going to be nervy but we grew into it after a poor first half. Thought there were a lot of gaps first half but seemed better second. 

Gordon MOTM, Bruno a lot better second half. Burn stands only massively as our main weakness. Also thought Anderson and Barnes where really poor.

Overall, all that mattered was the win, think that sets us up to go on a run now.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Just back in now from the match. Thought it went as I expected, was always going to be nervy but we grew into it after a poor first half. Thought there were a lot of gaps first half but seemed better second. 

Gordon MOTM, Bruno a lot better second half. Burn stands only massively as our main weakness. Also thought Anderson and Barnes where really poor.

Overall, all that mattered was the win, think that sets us up to go on a run now.

Barnes had a couple of cracking crosses.

Thought we were pretty poor first half but second half a lot brighter. Wilson and Burn the stand out performances on the night but some good showings across the pitch and pretty much what I predicted/wanted before the game - just win, no matter how.

Pawson I thought was inconsistent and gave a lot of soft calls to the opposition but then also somehow managed to rack up 5 yellows to them. Couldn't wait to get the whistle in his mouth to give throws and free kicks against us late on, possibly because the East Stand contingent near me absolutely berated him when he was at the screen ruling out the second pen.

Brentford all in all were canny poor and other than Pope making a good save almost straight away from the first whistle I can't remember him having anything to do. Wissa looked busy but the rest of their attacking players looked absolutely chod.

Great to chalk up the win whilst resting Isak, Tonali and Almiron too. Bring on Tuesday!

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Think Rico Henry's injury helped us, think he's a really good little player and could play for a bigger club. Would have taken him here in the summer

Surprised he got up tbh, his knee buckled very similarly to the way Mings did.

There'll be some scrutiny over the performance but, ultimately, 4 players started today for the first time this season and after an international break as well. We know they can and will get better with more gametime. 

Fluidity will come but it's good news that we can grind out wins using the squad.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Didn't think it was a bad performance at all tbh. The team was a bit put-together with a new forward line plus Anderson and a rusty Longstaff, but Brentford (who are good) were hardly in it and we deserved the win. We weren't super creative but there was some nice football and lots of good individual performances. Thought Barnes and Gordon both put in good shifts. 

I agree with this, we lack creativity in the final third and if we play with them we need quick talented full backs, which we have they just don't get a game yet. I think we will transition to Hall at least in the shorter term. Livramento will get games but probably not yet.

2 hours ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

5 for Longstaff....??? Other than the last-minute slip, he was good. broke up the play and covered the defence. We looked far less open in the middle and I'd say that's massively to do with his covering...

Our Motm for me. His slip up at the end was bad but I felt he contributed more on balance than anyone else. It’s like having an extra man with the amount of running he does. 

Other than a dodgy 10/15 minute spell in the first half I don't think they put us under much pressure. They're an awkward opponent, a load of big lads and some speed merchants. They press well and are quite adept and penning an opponent in, it's hard to play out against and if you go long you'll probably get swallowed up by any of the three bash brothers playing centre half. Thought the ref was pathetic, I've never rated Pawson and was amazed he actually awarded us two penalties. The disallowed goal was ridiculous, but he gives fouls for just about any contact anywhere else on the field so maybe not that surprising.

Thought Bruno was the best he'd been in a while, the back four were near faultless and Gordon is very effective now he's up to speed. Barnes will be like this in 6 months, although I thought he grew into the game and got better as it went on. Still, not at our fluent best but unless teams really come out to play against us we probably won't ever be at our most fluid. The squad feels a bit samey without ASM as a wildcard, nothing against our other options but they don't feel like game changers off the bench. For all Burn's height was useful today and he didn't do a lot wrong, I really hope we see Hall in home games where the opposition are going to sit everyone behind the ball.

3 hours ago, Aiston said:

Maybe being a tad negative but think we are overrating the performances a bit from a few players.

It was a below average performance with very little created, especially that first hour was horrible to watch.

It is a very good and much needed result though, credit to the players pulling through in the end.

Rewatched the game. Didn’t put together a single quality move.  Wingers did well to get into good crossing positions and had some good deliveries. Cross and inshallah. That’s how the goal and penalties came about.  Not much in the way of incisive play.  

Brentford were awful and offered little beyond pace and strength on the counter. And set piece threat of course. 

When I watch matches I think to myself ‘how does the manager plan on scoring goals?’ We pinned their wingbacks back well. But beyond that… hit some crosses.. I almost wanted it to remain 0-0 so Howe had to switch it up.