AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

Much better second half, hard fought point.

Lots of great effort on show. When I was excited about Newcastle United playing in the Champions League, I have to admit I was hoping to see Newcastle show our quality on the ball - but this is a learning experience for a lot of those players in Italy against the CL finalists.

Having said all that...

...I think it's fair to say that this team looks a shadow of itself from last year, so far. You can see moments of frustration amongst the players reaching the surface, often with each other. Isak giving Gordon pelters for sending him down blind alleys. Longstaff and Burn getting into it.

The confidence on the ball, moving the ball at speed when in possession, it all feels very lacklustre. Isak is being used as an Almiron-esque workhorse. We didn't buy him for his stamina, it's a bit sad to see him so gassed whenever he gets the ball.

Trippier and Bruno were the best players I thought.

Other than it being a Champion's League game and the atmosphere at the stadium, it wasn't a great game to watch and we lacked any real chances other than Longstaff's shot at the end, but totally happy with the result. 

Edited by doublecrown

2 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Would like to hear everyone’s thoughts on Isak moving out wide, not sure I’m a fan and it left us open down the left at times

Only works when he comes off the bench.  No good when he’s gassed at 60 minutes.

Such an interesting matchup.

We had the ideal type of centre backs for matching up with Giroud, and they had ideal centre backs for matching up with Isak.

Both teams back fours were really good defensively I thought, and that was ultimately the story of the game.

4 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Great result! Completely outplayed but it's a learning experience. Hung in there and defended well.

Bruno and Pope MOTM.

Don’t think we were outplayed or embarrassed. Possession was roughly the same, they peppered us with shots during periods but we rode our luck, when we had the ball it was mostly slow and laboured passing without threatening eventually giving the ball away.

1 minute ago, Sima said:

Only works when he comes off the bench.  No good when he’s gassed at 60 minutes.

agreed he was ashattered then moved out wide to require more running, made no sense. Should of just took him off and put Barnes there, or left Gordon on the left

Great point and very hard fought. Both sides were absolutely shot by the end of that. They had the bulk of chances but we probably had the best strike on goal. IMHO if that falls to Barnes or Wilson it goes in.

Theyll be hurting in the next league match but a slog like this will do us good for fitness levels.

Slight concern about Bruno limping.. the whole midfield aside from Longstaff looked like were running in treacle for the last 15 mins.

Thought Isak was a bit off it tonight. Gordon did well again, I think Howe is getting closer as how best to use him.

2 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Would like to hear everyone’s thoughts on Isak moving out wide, not sure I’m a fan and it left us open down the left at times

Think they did it to try and create something up top towarrds the end but it left us more vulnerable down the left clearly. Tricky balancing act.

He was shot which doesn't help the appraisal tonight.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Longstaff so much time and space for that shot. So poorly placed.

He didn’t place it. Give the lad some slack imo. He didn’t have the best of games but he didn’t stop running all game, he - and many others - were dead on their feet at the end and he’s tried to welly it to snatch us the win. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Such an interesting matchup.

We had the ideal type of centre backs for matching up with Giroud, and they had ideal centre backs for matching up with Isak.

Both teams back fours were really good defensively I thought, and that was ultimately the story of the game.

We conceded 2+ Xg, they had 9 shots on target.  I think our defenders played well but we were sliced open time and again and should have lost comfortably. 

We did well to get a point. A bit lucky really. But the players fought until the end. Excellent result. But we didn’t defend well as a team. 

Thought we were pretty shit. Didn't really feel like we were battered though like the stats suggest - AC were poor too I think, didn't feel like we were playing a great team. Bit concerned by our lack of fret. But think it's a good result away against last year's CL semi-finalists, and we're in the CL, so we should enjoy it.

Maybe AC were much better than I could see and made us look shit?

Edited by Superior Acuña