Newcastle United 1-0 Manchester City (27/09/23)

Disco

Just now, SAK said:

We had the best chance, they dominated possession. Big Joe looking good, Tonali not so much. Dummet looking rusty, Pope can’t kick the ball properly, Hall shaky at the start but improved later on, Livramento looking good in attack and defence, Lascelles doing good. Against a team like City who press you to death you need players with a good touch under pressure and who can fend of players trying to muscle you off the ball and that’s where Tonali, Murphy and Miley ( he gets a pass as he’s young) are letting us down and why the ball comes back at us and we’re under sustained pressure.

Dummet kept us in this tbf.

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

Well I'm going to have to say it as nobody else will.  Jacob Murphy ....... just get rid.  Not because of that first half miss by the way.  He's put this level of non performance in for FIVE years now.  I can count on one hand the positive contributions he has put in all that time.

He played well last season lad. You must of being in a coma. 

2 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Tonali going to be the next one people crucify who will somehow shockingly surprise us that he’s actually good in a few months time. 

I dont think he can surprise us as he had that monster match against Villa. Its just strange he faded after that game.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

This isn't about rockets or getting at anyone, unless you want us to get battered.

We have sat in a mid block and they really haven't done much to open us up at all.

The issue is what we are doing with the ball. Their press is very good and this lineup is struggling to play around it due to some poor touches and a lack of composure.

Needs to get them to settle down in possession, and maybe look to play it more direct down the channels a bit more.

Tbf I probably worded that wrong. I feel we should be less nervous in possession ourselves, we should maybe look to just shield the ball a bit better and wait for the space to open up. That's all they are doing, just not showing us the ball which is neutralising our press. I feel our players could do a better job of doing it if they weren't so star struck. Murphy is a good example, he panics when he sees Man City players bearing down on him.

Tonali just looks like he's surprised players are on him so quickly. Maybe he's just not used to the pace of the game here.

2 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

He is like, stop thinking of the name, where he came from and the price and concentrate on how he constantly gives the ball away with big first touches, shit basic passes and dawdling because he has no understand of space or what to do with the ball. I don’t know what he’s supposed to be bringing to this team. I’d hook him for Ritchie. 

Calm down ffs. :lol:

3 minutes ago, STM said:

In fairness, I think Tonali has the potential to be brilliant but my god he's been appalling. Like really, really bad.

Miley, Hall and Livramento have all shown for the ball much more.

He hasn't been appalling at all. He hasn't been good but appalling is outrageous to say. 

Hall and miley touched the ball far less, livramento twice more than tonali...in a team where the defence normally gets it more anyway.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

He's been wank in both so far, unfortunately.

I like the lad and am desperate for him to do well but fuck me the last two games he has been brutal. Just play a pass to a team mate ffs.

He was good against Villa as an 8. That was the only game he had good preparation time for by the sounds of it. The rest of the time he has look lost admittedly, but he’s barely trained so it can be excused.

The point is more that his profile is clearly not suited to the role he’s being asked to play tonight imo.

He has won most of his duels tonight and made two tackles. That’s more his game.

Edited by Smal

Tonali is not blameless, but whenever he gets the ball, he's got two other Newcastle players and two other Man City players within a 5 metre radius of him :lol: Feel like this is as much a tactical/bravery failing of the team as a personal one.

Man City are no doubt a class fucking team, but you've got also got the likes of Calvin Philips and Bobb in there - who are being shown far, far too much respect in and out of possession.

4 minutes ago, Rod said:

Well I'm going to have to say it as nobody else will.  Jacob Murphy ....... just get rid.  Not because of that first half miss by the way.  He's put this level of non performance in for FIVE years now.  I can count on one hand the positive contributions he has put in all that time.

Got to have a squad and players who are happy to not start while carrying out instructions properly. He’s been a good squad player under Howe. Limited player but I can’t see how anyone would conclude that under Howe he’s been anything other than a net positive.

Tonali doesn’t look part of the group, he’s not finding space and we’re not passing to him as a result.

Doesn’t help that he looks like he’s strolling about like a lost soul. Think there’s a lot of off field stuff we might need to help him with to feel at home here and get him engaged. He seems a quiet lad and doesn’t speak the lingo yet. It can’t be easy for him, we might need to take him out of starting 11 for a little while to help his long term future with us. It’s a worry. We can’t have him playing like this; it’ll affect him and he’ll get pelters from some fans.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

KaKa, I like you, but let's not blame the position he's playing or the opposition tactics. 

He's been incapable of the very basics. He's not tackling, not passing, the pressing well enough.

He's absolutely shot in confidence and needs some of what Gordon has had.

I did not blame the position.

I said he doesn't look good there because that's where he is playing tonight, and I don't like the look of it at all.

It's not a position where we can afford to have someone that is loose with the ball at all. Going to lead to a lot of problems.

As for the pressing, we're quite clearly sitting in more of a block and are only occasionally pressing with the front three and sometimes the 8s. He's holding his position for the most part, which I assume is the defensive tactic.

On the Tonali criticism as well…so far this season he’s played matches with two ball playing centre halves, trippier and Bruno in a team where everyone else knows the system and their role deeply. Tonight he’s playing with a left back in midfield, two lads at the back that can barely make a short pass, and a kid that’s played about 10 mins football against premier league opposition. He’s also up against two established internationals.