Newcastle United vs. Crystal Palace: 21/10/23 @ 15:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

20 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Blimey, just seen Palace's injury list. You can guarantee they'll deploy a low block and try to nick a goal from a set piece. 

They would have done that regardless of their injury list in fairness 

• Newcastle have conceded 17 goals in home matches since the start of last season in the Premier League, the joint-fewest of any non-promoted team, along with Manchester United.

• No team has kept more clean sheets in the Premier League this season than Crystal Palace (4). The Eagles have kept a shutout in their last three league games, last recording four in a row from February-June 2020 – a run which included a 1-0 win over Newcastle.

• Newcastle are eighth in the Premier League table with 13 points, but based on Opta’s expected points model, their expected points total based on game-by-game expected goals is 16.4; this is the second-highest expected points total in the competition this season, after Manchester City (16.6).

• Crystal Palace have made 16 substitutions in the Premier League this season, eight fewer than any other side, while never using more than three in a single game. The last teams to make fewer substitutions at this stage of a Premier League campaign were Burnley (14) and Aston Villa (15) in 2020-21.

• Newcastle’s Kieran Trippier has created 89 chances from set plays in the Premier League since the start of last season, 28 more than any other player in Europe’s big-five leagues. Eight of those chances have resulted in assists, the joint-most of any player from those aforementioned leagues, along with Monaco’s Caoi Henrique.

I'm hoping the Tonali situation doesn't/hasnt affected the atmosphere around the squad this week. It's something that could easily have upset the rhythm, especially after a week away for some of the players.

Need a good start to this, but I can see a Southampton last season at home-esque first half.

14 minutes ago, jack j said:

This game is as big as the dortmund one

I mean, aye, it should be. And hopefully the players approach it like that, but as a fan, it just isn’t.

Be more than happy with something utterly routine like Burnley.

25 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Very good defensively these arguably up there with best CB partnerships in the league on current form.

CB pairing is very good however Ward is out and Clyne will play. Need to let Gordon loose at him.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Chances of weather cancelation? Asking for a friend. Who’s flying over right now. :lol: 

It’s pretty windy and will be tomorrow but just had a look and there’s been no cancellations today, just a few mild delays so should be fine.

Based on the press conference I’d imagine Wilson in for Isak. Lascelles to continue in place of Botman. Gordon back in for Anderson/Tonali.

Should still have enough to beat Palace but it’s going to be a very tight game with 1 goal in it either way imo.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Based on the press conference I’d imagine Wilson in for Isak. Lascelles to continue in place of Botman. Gordon back in for Anderson/Tonali.

Should still have enough to beat Palace but it’s going to be a very tight game with 1 goal in it either way imo.

Mid table side coming to SJP, we will win. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Mid table side coming to SJP, we will win. 

Aye we should win, but this is the first time this season at home we will be up against a side who will be happy to sit in all day and play for a point. It’s where we struggled massively last season and I’m not sure we have changed to much from last season to be able to break these sides down.