Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

First two games showed European refereeing at its best - that was it at its worst.  Blind to obvious fouls, fussy over non-incidents, and bizarrely involved in as much time wasting as any opposing team causing the game to lose momentum. 

Ref was total garbage but it just wasn’t going to be our night either way. 

Just now, Shak said:

Beat me to it.

Glad Shoes had a nice night out, that's the main thing.

Aye, happy for him. Hear Vegan shoes have tremendous traction on wet cobblestone. Would hate for that to be inaccurate.

Dortmund had the first half but we were far the better team in the second half.  No disgrace and certainly not "battered" or "crap" as some contributors said tonight on here.  I can't stand our "new wave" supporters.

Frustrating game overall, they where decent on the break, and defended resolutely, but we created a fair few chances, and for the first time in a while couldn't convert them. Would have said a draw would have been a fair result, but don't think there was anything overly dramatic about the lose, was just one of them games, we need to refocus and move onto Wolves.

If you'd offered me 4 points after 3 games before the start i'd have taken it. 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

It's concerning the sway Trippier has on set pieces like. We've got tonali and the option of Targett with his out swinger. We nearly scored from Targetts delivery yet tripps still persists with poor deliveries. 

Absolutely fucking sick of it. We went ages not having a threat from set pieces and wasting corners because they fucking went short all the time.

We have had Tonali in the squad who hasn’t had a look in. Look at that Targett freekick towards the end, something different from someone else, and we were unlucky not to score.

That throw in was one of the stupidest things I’ve fucking seen, but he’ll do the same on corners when chasing a goal towards the end of games.

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Ahh ok, but if they beat us 12 nil here we’d need to beat them 13 nil there if we end up on level points?

All hypothetical, off we go see if we can get something away to them, injuries is a big issue here

Frustrating one. Much improved second half without ever looking consistently threatening. Their defensive setup was smart and they executed it well. Learn from it and get better quickly. 

Hope the injuries aren't too bad. We are suddenly quite thin in some key spots.

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

extremely frustrating game.

Dont want to be too harsh because ultimately it just didn’t go our way at times, but I kind of expect a bit more from Bruno in a game like that. He had all the time in the world in the second half and didn’t create anything.

That’s some take. He was by far our best player tonight (with AG)

They maintained a good shape which meant we weren’t really able to test the keeper in awful conditions.

I’m not gonna complain too much. We’ve still got a lot of players who need far too many touches and they took full advantage of that first half. 

1 minute ago, andyman said:
  • We tried
  • Ref did us no favors and should be bodyslammed by Big Linton later tonight
  • Dortmund better first half
  • Worrying injuries
  • We're miles better second half
  • Unlucky
  • Someone should burn away fans' drums whenever they bring them

Correct on every point