Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

Just now, Stifler said:

If that goal decision was Luton vs Palace, it would get a quick 30 second mention on MOTD at best, and they would turn around and say the correct decision was given.

It’s Newcastle vs Arsenal though, and it’s gone against a club who are used to the decisions going in their favour.

Unless there is something horrific that happens tomorrow with VAR, this is all they are going to talk about for the next week.

and all without pointing out that the ball was in play, it wasn’t offside and it’s totally judgemental as to whether it’s a foul or not (it’s not)

Please note, Mikel - VAR is not there to decide whether it's a goal. It's there to check whether any 'clear and obvious errors' have been made. And how do you expect to control your players if you can't control yourself?

Saka wasn't nearly as effective as I thought he would be. Is he carrying an injury? They miss Odegaard - I was pleased to see his absence from the team sheet.

What a game. This is the best of times.

It doesn't feel good enough to describe this as a smash and grab performance but taking into account the team being asked to go again so soon after man u it sometimes feels nice to see out a 1 goal lead. 

Can't win them all with free flowing football. We gave as good as we got here particularly the second half as they just appeared to run out of ideas.

Only downside from this is the injuries. 

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

First game of the season I missed today. Sounded like a hard-fought scrappy affair, with plenty of controversial incidents. I've just seen the goal, it's all pretty inconclusive. I look forward to watching it later.

Fantastic result in what is turning into a fantastic week, topped with a superb head loss from that try-hard, Lego-headed cunt in the opposition dugout.

Likewise, just catching up myself.

Three separate checks ffs. :lol: The goalline one I can accept; the ball should be in play, that's fundamental. Everything else: fucking fuck the fuck off, VAR. It's bad enough tempering the urge to celebrate due to the presence of future offside lines being drawn... can we please not add additional hesitancy due to some apparent need to examine players going for the same ball. Just let the on-field ref earn his coin. 

3 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Please note, Mikel - VAR is not there to decide whether it's a goal. It's there to check whether any 'clear and obvious errors' have been made. And how do you expect to control your players if you can't control yourself?

Saka wasn't nearly as effective as I thought he would be. Is he carrying an injury? They miss Odegaard - I was pleased to see his absence from the team sheet.

What a game. This is the best of times.

Defence marshalled him superbly, Schar on the left helped massively.

8 minutes ago, McDog said:

To be honest, I do not own one. Just saying they are not the devil incarnate.

They can be very dangerous, I agree with you.

Same as any breed, its how they are brought up.

Edited by Numbers

1 minute ago, Rafalove said:

There is a touch of poetic justice today. Part if Arteta’s tactics today was to wind our players up. In the end he only wound himself up.

Yep. That 0-0 last season has led them to believe that they need to play that way against us, we fucking love playing against that. 

1 hour ago, Memphis said:

It should also be noted that Gabriel is stooping to head the ball anyway because he knows Raya is never going to punch it. Gabriel is going down before Joelinton does anything. The ball isn't out of play. And the offside, who fucking knows? But it's nothing like a DISGRACE or THE WORST THING EVER 

It’s not even close to being offside - it’s not a ‘who knows’ situation.  Gordon is level/behind Joelinton when the ball is played