Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

12 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Arsenal fans were a strange lot mind. They decided to sing that the atmosphere was shit when it clearly wasn’t and then barely mustered a coherent song after that. Support your team you weirdos. 

Yeah this was so weird. Atmosphere was good all game, yet they sang some weird stuff. Think we're getting under their skin, add them to the list. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a refereeing performance like that in the flesh before. He gave us absolutely nowt all game, seemed like he was getting a kick out of it. 

How we managed to get more yellows than them after what looked like a horror challenge from an Arsenal player before HT is beyond me. 

That said, I think it worked in our favour. Crowd was justifiably radge as fuck all game and the players feed off it and dig in. 

A very satisfying win considering their antics and the ref, and the Arteta stuff just makes it even better. Imagine having a classless man like him in your dugout, man. Deal with it m8. 

2 minutes ago, Memphis said:

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

It doesn't really matter BUT there is nothing mentioned about being level/behind automatically making a player onside. If both players are standing in an offside position when the pass is made, any pass makes the receiver offside whether forward or backward. 

My point was that you can't tell when or how the ball was "passed" to Gordon so determining offside is virtually impossible. 

Neither player was close to offside for Willock’s pass - the check was for the ball being played back to Gordon.  If it was played by the Arsenal player he can’t be off, and if it is played by Joelinton then he’s level or behind.  You can absolutely determine this. 

3 minutes ago, McDog said:

So kill every Dingo in Australia too? You can't lump every dog into a category, they are individuals. 

I loved the cartoon I saw years ago about Pomeranians hunting in packs.

Anyway, we can move on, we'll just disagree.

You are aware they do Dingo Culling in Australia? [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Neither player was close to offside for Willock’s pass - the check was for the ball being played back to Gordon.  If it was played by the Arsenal player he can’t be off, and if it is played by Joelinton then he’s level or behind.  You can absolutely determine this. 

The point was - if both of the players end up with only one defender behind them, even a backward or level pass is offside. 

The image is from right before the ball ends up with Gordon. In that image, both players are behind Raya, leaving only one defender between them and the goal. If Joelinton passes that ball, it is absolutely offside no matter which direction the pass travels. The rule specifically says as much...you are only onside if you are behind two defenders or level with the second-last one.

But since you can't quite tell how the ball gets to Gordon, it has to stand.

Screenshot_20231104_170009_YouTube ReVanced Extended.jpg

13 minutes ago, OCK said:

Yeah, all dogs are capable of attacking and biting. The reason certain breeds make the news more than others is due to the level of injury the attack causes, which can often be fatal or lifechanging. XL Americans might be class with the right owner, but one moment can lead to a serious accident regardless of how well it has been trained... for example, someone pull its tail or another action all dogs might react to with a warning nip. The warning nip of an XL American is going to be brutal simply due to the sheer power behind its bite. 

Shush you, you know nowt :)

2 minutes ago, Memphis said:

The point was - if both of the players end up with only one defender behind them, even a backward or level pass is offside. 

The image is from right before the ball ends up with Gordon. In that image, both players are behind Raya, leaving only one defender between them and the goal. If Joelinton passes that ball, it is absolutely offside no matter which direction the pass travels. The rule specifically says as much...you are only onside if you are behind two defenders or level with the second-last one.

Eh, so if a player passes backwards from the byline and another attacking player is ahead of the defenders that is offside?  I can't believe that is correct.  How as the Brentford goal against Chelsea allowed then?  There was only the goalkeeper behind the attackers in that case

Andy Gray's machine from 1997 (or FIFA 98) would be able to tell definitively if that ball was over or not from the above angle shot. So you see the sphere of the ball rather than judging it on the base. Weird if they haven't got the tech in VAR to do that now when it was available that long back.

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

Eh, so if a player passes backwards from the byline and another attacking player is ahead of the defenders that is offside?  I can't believe that is correct.  How as the Brentford goal against Chelsea allowed then?  There was only the goalkeeper behind the attackers in that case

I'll be totally honest. I don't have a fucking idea how. The rule is way more complex than I originally thought. 

Screenshot_20231104_171131_Brave.jpg

11 minutes ago, Memphis said:

No, the number of defenders doesn’t come into it if the ball is played sideways or backwards.  Two players can be ahead of the whole opposition side and can pass the ball. 

10 minutes ago, Memphis said:

Not if the recieving player is behind or level with the ball. Which direction the ball travels doesn't matter, that is true, but where the player is compared to the ball absolutely does. Gordon is most likely st least level with the ball, even if Joelinton is indeed the one who plays it to him, so no offside.