Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

Yes, the challenge on Gabriel is the most dodgy part of the goal. The problem is that refs do allow players to use their arms in aerial challenges providing it doesn't go too far. If they were stricter, they'd be giving a foul every time. 

Joe's challenge seems to be half way between pushing Gabriel out of the way, and using his arms to hamper him from jumping. The former is usually penalised, the latter often isn't.

On top of that there is no clear and obvious definition of what constitutes a 'clear and obvious' error. Subjectivity comes into it. 

I've changed my mind about the Havertz challenge. He wasn't in control of it at all, and it should have been red. Joelinton had sneakily clouted him just before, and he lost it, but that's no excuse.

Total lack of nuance or reasoned discussion on the goal by both Arteta and the post match media

If you think it's a disgrace, let's critically work through the three potential reasons why it might have been disallowed and assess each issue against the rules of football and the scenarios in which VAR overrules an on field decision within the EPL. 

When you do that, it is completely justifiable that the goal stood. The free kick might have been given but as we have seen time and time again , VAR tends to not get involved in those decisions (same for all teams). As others have hinted, the fact there are three different checks for an infringement, does not strengthen the individual argument of each potential infringement. 

Of course, Arteta did not bother getting into any of that (and for some reason wasn't pushed on it by reporters). It is easier for him to vaguely rant about the issues to distract the media and his fanbase. 

2 minutes ago, CallumG6 said:

Arteta and Klopp battling furiously for the most entitled manager of the year award.

The pair of them are absolutely insufferable. 

Thought this for ages. I get that some managers want to cultivate a 'them against the world' mentality amongst their players and fans, but these two take it to the next level and it just looks pathetic from the outside. A decent manager accepts they can't do anything further about a loss, congratulates the other team on the win and works at making sure their team doesn't get into that position again in the future. Instead, Arteta and Klopp just make themselves look like whiny, entitled children, sore losers and divine-righters. For me, these arguments always come back to 'you make your own luck', if you're good enough, you win convincingly, if you're not good enough you have to accept the fine margins can go either way - and yes, I know that's easy to say when you're on the winning side, but it's true. All Arteta's done is make it obvious how mentally weak he is and how much he relies on help from the officials to win things.

Honestly, if you could pick a manager to score a really controversial winner against, Arteta and Klopp would be the two you’d have to pick from. I can’t actually believe it’s happened. My only gripe was that the ball wasn’t out of play by 3 yards. 

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

Having watched it back several times I reckon:

Havertz tackle is a red. Bruno's is a yellow, the ball didn't go out of play, it's probably a foul, it might be offside but I don't fully understand why. On the balance of probability, I don't think it should have stood.

Either way though, every single one of those points is debatable. None of them properly clear cut and it's never going to be 100%. You're relying on people's interpretation of the events and that's always going to differ.

What needs to be in question is why Artetas his team managed one shot on target and not a single clear cut chance. We know this though and he knows this but it's clearly better for him to deflect and have a fit about the referee.

Felt sure they would rule the goal out, but it’s tight decisions in big games. Sometimes they go for you, sometimes they don’t. I think Arteta is very naive to lose his cool so much, as a manager you have to be more level headed, I guess he is clinging on to it being another massive VAR error as he and his team had no answer to our tactics at all. 

Raya should deal with the cross, he doesn’t. Gabriel knows Joelinton is there, he should deal with it but chooses to buy a foul. If I was an Arsenal fan I’d be livid those two seemingly didn’t play to the whistle and expected it to be called back. 

Nervy ending to the game at the time, but with hindsight they never looked like laying a glove on us. Comfortable defensive display from us, tactically spot on. 

14 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Having watched it back several times I reckon:

Havertz tackle is a red. Bruno's is a yellow, the ball didn't go out of play, it's probably a foul, it might be offside but I don't fully understand why. On the balance of probability, I don't think it should have stood.

And that's exactly why it wasn't overturned. If it's a "probably" then they go with the on field decision. Likewise if the ref had given the foul, they wouldn't have overturned that decision either.