Paris Saint-Germain 1-1 Newcastle United (28/11/23) | Reaction: pg. 52 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I'm still fuming like. VAR has ruined the sport but it's not the technology, it's the incompetency of the officials.

If you go over to the monitor, you have to change the decision. When was the last time we seen a ref go to the monitor for a look and keep their decision? Barely ever. You're going for a closer look, you should really be using it to affirm your decision about 25% of the time. If every time you go to the monitor, it's overturned, then what in the fuck is the point in bothering with that process at all?

Not to mention, the rules and guidelines being clear as mud. 

It really shouldn't be this hard. It's pathetic.

Yep, all match they made a thing of commenting how he'd referee's a world cup final, and generally he had done ok. So even when he went to the monitor, I hoped he migth stick with the on field decision. But then, the angle the VAR seemed to show him was from the left hand side, which does make it look worse than it was, whereas the view from the opposite side shows it clearly hitting chest then onto elbow. 

Said it last night, would have taken a draw beforehand, but its the manner of the draw that stings.

22 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I generally quite enjoy Jonathan Liew’s sport takes but he’s clearly just decided to go for something that he knows will provoke a reaction. A lot of his writing is like that but often founded on a truth. Acting like we weren’t robbed yesterday to try and inflame our fans is a very weird line to take from a sports fan 

Bizarrely he’s wrote a really glowing article about Miley in which he’s more than complimentary about our performance.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/nov/28/lewis-miley-psg-newcastle-united-champions-league

Clearly just after the engagement.

3 minutes ago, christ said:

Bizarrely he’s wrote a really glowing article about Miley in which he’s more than complimentary about our performance.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/nov/28/lewis-miley-psg-newcastle-united-champions-league

Clearly just after the engagement.

Is he not an arsenal fan? Or did I remember that incorrectly? He’s a pretentious wanker, and a shit stirrer and I think Aggers was right about him.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

On the footballing side of things, I missed the first hour or so, who was everyone’s MOTM ?

Difficult to look past Pope, as he kept us in it, and almost got a hand to the pella, but thought Livramento was excellent again.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

On the footballing side of things, I missed the first hour or so, who was everyone’s MOTM ?

It's difficult to call but on the basis of the first half, Miggy for me. On the basis of the whole game, I think you have to give it to Pope. But there's solid arguments for Livramento, Lascelles and Bruno. 

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Hadn’t even realised I’d been autocorrected on his name. He definitely has an issue with us but so do most journalists on the “left” in football. I say that as I think most left wing sports journalism is a puddle of hypocrisy 

Apart from the fact sports writers don't have to have the same political leanings as the titles they graft for, The Guardian is "Left" in a similar way Blair was. As in not at all.

Cunts spent 4 years battering the only chance of a progressive gvt in generations.

As for the match, gutting as it is, the non-penalty won't cost us further involvement. That's down to suffering a Dortmund double.

3 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Is he not an arsenal fan? Or did I remember that incorrectly? He’s a pretentious wanker, and a shit stirrer and I think Aggers was right about him.

They mostly all are. I've said before, watched a few Sunday Supplements in the past and it's just them sitting there masturbating over each other's word salad.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's difficult to call but on the basis of the first half, Miggy for me. On the basis of the whole game, I think you have to give it to Pope. But there's solid arguments for Livramento, Lascelles and Bruno. 

Agree with this. I also thought Trippier was very good for 60-70 mins or so. Struggled a bit once Barcola came on. Whereas he kept Mbappe really quiet. 

Eddie Howe speaking to TNT Sports: “I’m still coming to terms with it. I feel really flat but so pleased with what the players gave; their commitment - everything. We ran out of luck in the end because I didn’t think that was a penalty.”

Neither did most folk on the planet m8! 

26 minutes ago, andycap said:

Psg had a load of efforts but most of them were 30 yarders thumped over the bar. So the stats make it look a lot worse. 

TBF, they missed a couple of sitters and Pope was also superb to deny them a few times. But you need to ride your luck away to a team like this in Europe. 

If they had won 3-1, then I don’t think we could have any complaints and it would be easier to accept. The fact they’ve relied on a dodgy as fuck decision to get a goal,  in the 95th minute is what is hard to take. 

40 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Saw the back pages round up (repeated from last night) on Sky Sports News this morning, and even that Miguel Delaney was saying how bad a decision it was, and heow we were robbed of a result. Though he did still manage to slip in a 'regardless of their ownership'.

Such a gimp.

34 minutes ago, andycap said:

Psg had a load of efforts but most of them were 30 yarders thumped over the bar. So the stats make it look a lot worse. 

I know it's not science but they had 9 big chances according to my scores app which is definitely the most I've ever seen.

We definitely rode our luck for large parts which is why I'm not too disappointed, despite the blatant robbery of that decision.

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

TBF, they missed a couple of sitters and Pope was also superb to deny them a few times. But you need to ride your luck away to a team like this in Europe. 

If they had won 3-1, then I don’t think we could have any complaints and it would be easier to accept. The fact they’ve relied on a dodgy as fuck decision to get a goal,  in the 95th minute is what is hard to take. 

42 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Saw the back pages round up (repeated from last night) on Sky Sports News this morning, and even that Miguel Delaney was saying how bad a decision it was, and heow we were robbed of a result. Though he did still manage to slip in a 'regardless of their ownership'.

Aye, warra victory for squeaky-clean Qatar.

Was only the Barcola and the Mbappe drag wide that I’d say were must scores mind even though I’m tempted to agree but the manner of the draw obviously stings.

Their other chances were definitely in the half chance or worse category unless I’ve forgotten them and of course Isak should have scored before he did.

Still frustrating as fuck although we’ve got a great chance of being in Europe post Christmas which would have been my aim.

24 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Apart from the fact sports writers don't have to have the same political leanings as the titles they graft for, The Guardian is "Left" in a similar way Blair was. As in not at all.

Cunts spent 4 years battering the only chance of a progressive gvt in generations.

As for the match, gutting as it is, the non-penalty won't cost us further involvement. That's down to suffering a Dortmund double.

Oliver “Citizen Smith” Holt writing for The Daily Heil being another one.

23 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Agree with this. I also thought Trippier was very good for 60-70 mins or so. Struggled a bit once Barcola came on. Whereas he kept Mbappe really quiet. 

Shades of the famous Bobby Moore tackle in 1970 v Brazil (Pele? Jairzinho?) when Trippier won the ball from a Mbappe run in the 1st half 

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I know it's not science but they had 9 big chances according to my scores app which is definitely the most I've ever seen.

We definitely rode our luck for large parts which is why I'm not too disappointed, despite the blatant robbery of that decision.

Yeah - you have to factor in the tiredness amongst the team 

On another day we bring on Longstaff - Tonali - Willock - Barnes and Murphy and have fresh legs all over 

31 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

You missed the best part of the match, we were magnificent in the first half. PSG were coming at us, but we defended superbly, and most gratifying for me personally, when we won the ball we were bringing the ball out with some skill and hitting them hard on the counter. Even the commentators on BT were saying we had controlled the game. PSG looked well flustered.

Tino, Trips, Miggy and Bruno were all superb in that spell, so was Pope when they did get through.

Strangely I'm less annoyed than I was last night. Not exactly sure why, maybe it's cos we still got a point or that we still have a chance to go through or just want to focus on the effort of the players or I don't want us to be whingey twats like Arsenal fans. 

Hope we batter Man U, that will help fully get over it.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

You missed the best part of the match, we were magnificent in the first half. PSG were coming at us, but we defended superbly, and most gratifying for me personally, when we won the ball we were bringing the ball out with some skill and hitting them hard on the counter. Even the commentators on BT were saying we had controlled the game. PSG looked well flustered.

Tino, Trips, Miggy and Bruno were all superb in that spell, so was Pope when they did get through.

This. 

Just ran out of gas. 

3 minutes ago, Disco said:

Was only the Barcola and the Mbappe drag wide that I’d say were must scores mind even though I’m tempted to agree but the manner of the draw obviously stings.

Their other chances were definitely in the half chance or worse category unless I’ve forgotten them and of course Isak should have scored before he did.

Still frustrating as fuck although we’ve got a great chance of being in Europe post Christmas which would have been my aim.

Nah, they had lots of good chances. Had my heart in the throat every 5 min it felt like.