FA Cup Third Round: sunderland (A) 06/01/24 @ 12:45 - Live on ITV

It's a one-off game and that tends to favour the underdog. It'll define their season tbh - a 6th place finish and lose to the mags = failure, a 14th place finish and beat the mags = success. This game is their cup final and it's naive to think they won't raise their game and be massively up for it. They also have little pressure and are expected to lose. I'd love to go there and put 4 or 5 past them but realistically it'll be tighter than we'd all like. 

What I think I'd like most of all is a replay and the chance to do them at SJP and make it a biblical victory. Just going to put it all on the backburner for now though, we've got genuinely more important matters than those cunts to see to first, let's see where we are on Jan 2nd and take it from there

edit - we've also got the benefit of their best player (Clarke) playing on the LW and he's up against Trippier. By most accounts if Clarke doesn't perform then this lot are bang average at best. Trippier plays then I'll be confident 

Was shopping way the wife and kid, when I seen the draw and my heart did skip a beat..... really, really didn't want to draw them lot... I know our circumstances have changed drastically since the last time we met, we are now a properly ran club again who are competing in the champions league,  whilst they are a top 10/ mid table championship team ... when it goes well against  them like the 4-1 at there place, the 5-1 on Halloween or the 1-0 Ryan Taylor over the wall match, there really isn't a better feeling.... however the last  few times playing the mackems have been absolutely horrid.... 

28 minutes ago, midds said:

It's a one-off game and that tends to favour the underdog. It'll define their season tbh - a 6th place finish and lose to the mags = failure, a 14th place finish and beat the mags = success. This game is their cup final and it's naive to think they won't raise their game and be massively up for it. They also have little pressure and are expected to lose. I'd love to go there and put 4 or 5 past them but realistically it'll be tighter than we'd all like. 

What I think I'd like most of all is a replay and the chance to do them at SJP and make it a biblical victory. Just going to put it all on the backburner for now though, we've got genuinely more important matters than those cunts to see to first, let's see where we are on Jan 2nd and take it from there

edit - we've also got the benefit of their best player (Clarke) playing on the LW and he's up against Trippier. By most accounts if Clarke doesn't perform then this lot are bang average at best. Trippier plays then I'll be confident 

Mild chance he’ll be off if they’re still floundering in mid table. 

1 hour ago, Izakaya said:

Oh my god. This season is utterly insane. 

It really has been utterly bonkers so far, and feels like virtually every game we have played has had monster stakes attached to it. And this Mackem game has just upped the ante by another few notches.

It's a cliche to say it, but every game really does feel like a cup final at the moment.

40 minutes ago, midds said:

Think you might be understating it tbh. For them, it could define their next 5 seasons, for better or worse. A crushing, heavy defeat for them could send them into a deep depression but a win could give them an almighty lift to snatch a play-off win.

For us, a defeat would be infuriating & very embarrassing, so there is plenty at stake for us too. We'd get over a defeat pretty quickly of course but there's no point denying it....this is the biggest TW derby since the 1990 playoffs. We lost that one so it's time to avenge it.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

this is the biggest TW derby since the 1990 playoffs. We lost that one so it's time to avenge it.

We did of course lose that one, but it brought about our eventual takeover by Hall, and then Keegan coming in. If we'd have beaten them and gone up, those things may well have not happened. It's odd how things play out sometimes.

6 hours ago, Guybrush said:

See a few sentiments about kicking us all over, and although they might to make up for lack of skill, they actually look fairly young and lightweight, especially in midfield. 

Yeah I’m not overly worried about them being cynical fucks. Don’t seem to have any old shitheels like Cattermole these days.

Just saw someone say this tie is the Steve Bruce Classico. This is after I saw someone say the match on Saturday was the Steve Bruce Derby. What utter planks we have in our fanbase to still want to be associated with that utter gobshite when we have an absolute legend managing us right now.

Edited by nufcjb

The thought of the likes of Burn, Longstaff, Miley, Elliot and Murphy potentially lining up for this! Would be mega lining up with local lads and toon fans. Dummett and Gillespie can sit until the last 5. I am sure we will go pretty much full strength for this. 

1 hour ago, Mattoon said:

I don't know why so many are panicking, this is Eddie Howes nufc, forget history, forget plucky underdogs, he'll have us in the right mindset where we play the game, not the event. Easy win.

What worries me is this Howe version of Newcastle still got beat by Cambridge and Sheff Wed in the FA Cup. 

This NUFC is a different beast to the one involved in the last 7 or 8 derbies of the past.  No fear, every match played to win, and feel like we can beat anybody. Away atmospheres at Milan and PSG in the bag too.

3-0 to Newcastle and at least 6000 cardboard cut-outs of seagulls.

Edited by Karjala

I was very excited about this.

But it's a good point about us having no choice but to go just about as strong as possible against them and not give players like Trippier a rest. Probably no other club in the league would've forced us into that position. That's a bugger.

But the idea of Bruno, Joelinton and hopefully Burn up against them is great...

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

The thought of the likes of Burn, Longstaff, Miley, Elliot and Murphy potentially lining up for this! Would be mega lining up with local lads and toon fans. Dummett and Gillespie can sit until the last 5. I am sure we will go pretty much full strength for this. 

I don't know, I could do without us artificially shoehorning in the Geordie nation like. I don't think for one second Eddie will be putting Longstaff in the team purely because he's likely to be Up For It, but if our winning formula is still a winning formula in a month then I can live with few or no local boys anywhere near the team in all honesty

Edited by OpenC