Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

Gordon, Longstaff and Wilson are all half-fit and it shows. Miles off the pace. Almiron has been awful, too. Too many of them just look leggy. Which is understandable. Still, nice to have a lead away to hold onto for a change.

Not really many options. But I’d be tempted to take Longstaff off. Complete passenger and barely looks like he can run. 

Solid defensively and hopefully we can build on that in the second half. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

We’re winnng in the quarters a few days after winning in the league - this with so many injuries so most out there are playing every 3- 4 days. People on here just need to calm down and remember the days when we all said we just want a team that tries because we have that now.

Ropey performance but delighted to be in front and we still look dangerous; if Wilson could execute a basic through ball we'd probably be winning by a greater margin. 

We'll do well not to concede here but we're in a great position. 

Jarred Gillett is the referee.

He was axed last season for a game or so after his mistake in the Chelsea v West Ham game. His mistake benefitted Chelsea.

Seems he's doing all he can to help them tonight too.

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Gordon, Longstaff and Wilson are all half-fit and it shows. Miles off the pace. Almiron has been awful, too. Too many of them just look leggy. Which is understandable. Still, nice to have a lead away to hold onto for a change.

Not really many options. But I’d be tempted to take Longstaff off. Complete passenger and barely looks like he can run. 

Almiron looks worse each game, final ball is just shocking 

We have been 2nd best since going ahead. We are sitting too deep.

If we had 5-10 minutes of a decent amount of possession, I feel we could swing back into controlling the game.

Right now we are trying to match their speed, but if we slow the game down then it will play into our hands.

Just now, RS said:

Little Newcastle leading away to Chelsea. But Howe is poor and we are playing shite. Fucking hell. 

You are reading too much into it. We haven’t been great is what most say. And I think only one or two said anything about Howe.

Just now, Beren said:

1 up. Good result at the half, but I think Howe is doing a poor job here.

I think it looks like this when energy levels are low and we are trying to preserve some energy too. Being up 1-0 means I don’t really mind it here, more about the result than the performance but second half will be long if we play like that though.

Need some relief from Gordon and Almiron in keeping possession and winning freekicks up the pitch but it could be impossible with this ref.

1 minute ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Flat in attack, resolute in defence.

Looking shattered but still a threat if we get it anywhere near that Badavasaaloioi guy - he's utter wank!

HWTL 

wrong quote

Edited by PRL

1 minute ago, duo said:

It is so nice not having every decision scrutinised by VAR.  It is much more enjoyable.

It fucking baffles me people want rid of VAR, despite it's high profile errors it is so much fucking better than having no VAR.