sunderland 0-3 Newcastle United (06/01/24)

Yorkie

32 minutes ago, STM said:

The Old Firm is bigger but its watered down slightly because they play each other so often.

Who else is there...

Manchester derby- shite, Man U don't even see it as a real rivalry historically.

Manchester vs Liverpool- not a derby, just a historical rivalry

Birmingham- I'm sure they hate each other but its hardly ferocious

London- they just don't count. Cockneys have nee passion and just na.

Steel City- Arguably a real contender, they actually hate each other.

Leeds/Manchester- Arguably not a real derby and Leeds will take this more serious.

Liverpool/Everton is literally referred as the friendly derby. That can fuck off.

After than you are talking midlands derbies and Ipswich/Norwich etc.

Anyone got anything that comes close?

Can't believe you've missed off the most full blooded and passionate derby out there. That being Brighton and Palace, of course

The rivalry between the two cities goes back all the day to the english civil war, as well as being to do with coal rights in shipping it to London, IIRC? I don't hate the mackems - I've got family and friends who are red and white. We have good craic outside of derby day and that's how it should be.

40 minutes ago, STM said:

The Old Firm is bigger but its watered down slightly because they play each other so often.

Who else is there...

Manchester derby- shite, Man U don't even see it as a real rivalry historically.

Manchester vs Liverpool- not a derby, just a historical rivalry

Birmingham- I'm sure they hate each other but its hardly ferocious

London- they just don't count. Cockneys have nee passion and just na.

Steel City- Arguably a real contender, they actually hate each other.

Leeds/Manchester- Arguably not a real derby and Leeds will take this more serious.

Liverpool/Everton is literally referred as the friendly derby. That can fuck off.

After than you are talking midlands derbies and Ipswich/Norwich etc.

Anyone got anything that comes close?

Portsmouth v Southampton is worthy of mention. 

Celtic and Rangers have completely fucked it with their stupid no away fans thing. Whoever is to blame has ruined a genuine institution. A game I would have always done anything to watch has basically became another SPL fixture. 

10 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

The rivalry between the two cities goes back all the day to the english civil war, as well as being to do with coal rights in shipping it to London, IIRC? I don't hate the mackems - I've got family and friends who are red and white. We have good craic outside of derby day and that's how it should be.

Will have mentioned this before but my Geordie grandad, very recently passed, was very affectionate of Sunderland. NUFC first but Sunderland second, as opposed to being seen as bitter rivals. Maybe it was just him but I assumed that was maybe a fairly common view for his generation. 

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Will have mentioned this before but my Geordie grandad, very recently passed, was very affectionate of Sunderland. NUFC first but Sunderland second, as opposed to being seen as bitter rivals. Maybe it was just him but I assumed that was maybe a fairly common view for his generation. 

When my dad was a kid, he would go and watch Newcastle one week, then Sunderland the next. Although he is a black and white, but it's something many did back then. Mind, he also leans towards Arsenal for some bizarre reason!

Yeah I heard that it was fairly common for fans to and see one team one week, then the other the week after until the 70’s when hooliganism rose it’s head.

Despite the narrative of one of our players being worth the same as their entire squad (transfer market has their squad value under 90m and ours around 600m). 

Despite that they COULD of competed for every first and second ball,  tried to hurt us with pace, tried to go after BDB on the wing, try to limit our time on the ball etc etc none of that needs 40/50/60m players to do so as demonstrated this season for us many times away from home. 

It simply didn't happen now part of me is pleased they didn't try and just kick us off the park but it seemed so easy to nick the ball off them without them trying to draw a foul. 

Nievity? Arrogance? Pride? Just not in them?

No clue to be honest I know nothing about their side. Not going to say I was full of confidence going into it and said that to the 2 or 3 at work who are proud enough to admit they are sunderland supporters. 

As Howe was trying to say post game it was more for the supporters (didn't agree with BDB saying fans would rather beat Sunderland than going through champions league). It's a big fixture on a season full of big fixtures. It may well benefit as a spring board but shouldn't define us as a side. If we get hammered in the next 2 fixtures it won't be in my mind at least we beat Sunderland.

I (59) was brought up to hate everything about Sunderland by my dad (would now be 88) and my grandad who'd be well over 100. I've heard stories similar but my own family certainly didn't entertain them.

Just now, nufcjmc said:

Despite the narrative of one of our players being worth the same as their entire squad (transfer market has their squad value under 90m and ours around 600m). 

Did you mean to say "under 9m", I assume?

5 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Did you mean to say "under 9m", I assume?

Haha no just the value quoted in transfermarkt rather than what they spent to assemble the squad as I don't know just heard from supporter at work it might have been 7.5/15m

Screenshot_20240107_120530_Samsung Internet.jpg

7 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

What did our starting xi cost? About £320m? Why are they saying £500m as though tonality, Willock, Barnes etc all played? 

Think it's worth owning it rather than debating it Isak, and Bruno are probably worth more than  the cost to buy Sunderland the football club. It's not our fault fees are crazy and we now have the means and ambition to shop in that bracket and as I said before it's certainly possible to beat us with an "inferior squad" so not sure they can have much complaints from the small bits I heard from Beale certainly didn't.

11 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

What did our starting xi cost? About £320m? Why are they saying £500m as though tonality, Willock, Barnes etc all played? 

Because it’s a coping mechanism / comfort blanket for them.

1 minute ago, nufcjmc said:

Think it's worth owning it rather than debating it Isak, and Bruno are probably worth more than  the cost to buy Sunderland the football club. It's not our fault fees are crazy and we now have the means and ambition to shop in that bracket and as I said before it's certainly possible to beat us with an "inferior squad" so not sure they can have much complaints from the small bits I heard from Beale certainly didn't.

They could sell Ballard and Clarke for more than their owner paid to be fair. Well before yesterday anyway