Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Can see why we picked Burn because of how much physicality they have on set pieces but we've conceded from a set pieces and Burn has been obliterated by Ogbene so it's safe to say that has backfired.

Or you know, because he's put in two man of the match performance's in the last two games.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Can see why we picked Burn because of how much physicality they have on set pieces but we've conceded from a set piece and Burn has been obliterated by Ogbene so it's safe to say that has backfired.

Burn shouldn’t be starting for us at this stage tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Not true at all.

His pass set us off for our 2nd goal.

He's had more touches than the other two in our front 3.

Our 3rd best passer of the ball and third most passes.

He’s not involved. 

Guest reefatoon
Just now, astraguy said:

:ructions: u sure u got the right game on?

Aye, think we haven’t seen much of him at all really. Not sure what people are seeing to be honest [emoji38]

Just now, 54 said:

Or you know, because he's put in two man of the match performance's in the last two games.

1, considering how much he got absolutely tortured until Livramento came on in the 2nd half vs Villa...he's still turning from that time he got done :lol:

Just now, Holloway said:

Just seen their 2nd, after all the plaudits in the last few days, what the fuck was that complete lack of effort Schar 

Literally logged on to post this

Love Miley to bits, he’s gonna be top class for us. Unfortunately his lack of experience means that he has pretty poor game awareness. He’s really easy to find space behind. Fucking desperate for Joelinton, Willock and Tonali to come back in.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Lots of people blaming us for playing poorly, but maybe there's credit to Luton for not letting us play well?

When we do that to other teams and the commentators / other fans say they didn't play well against us, we're often raging at not getting enough credit. I think there's an element of that here, Luton have stopped us playing as they have against many sides this year.

That's not to say we can't do anything about it and that we can't improve and cut out some individual errors, but let's not just dismiss the role the opposition have in how we've (not) played. They've harried us into misplaced passes, pressured us deep, made us make mistakes.

Definitely an element to this, but this goes beyond that 45 minutes for me. 

Newcastle are often too direct, and don't dictate tempo, make the opposition work for the ball.

In certain games - often against better opposition - they seem to have a gameplan around this.

Just now, r0cafella said:

Burn shouldn’t be starting for us at this stage tbh. 

Yeah he's a one-trick pony. We gain a bit of height and stature, but lose a hell of a lot going forward and are vulnerable against pace.

I think he's a great bloke, but I'd rather we played a traditional fullback who could run in both directions.

Just now, Shearergol said:

Love Miley to bits, he’s gonna be top class for us. Unfortunately his lack of experience means that he has pretty poor game awareness. He’s really easy to find space behind. Fucking desperate for Joelinton, Willock and Tonali to come back in.

Bruno being way too high all the time doesn’t help mind, our defence is the slowest in the league so we always have a huge gap between our defence and midfield. 

Just now, Shearergol said:

Definitely been one of the biggest issues with the team for months I'd say. Like you say it's a shame because he's clearly going to be class, but the midfield is just so open with him in there.

Tino has to come on. Whether that’s for Burn or to go five at the back because we can’t lose Burn for set pieces I don’t care but we need his pace against their wing back. 

Got a bad feeling about this but hopefully Wilson and Barnes have enough in the tank to make the difference! 

Dubravka 

Trippier  Schar  Botman  Livramento 

Longstaff      Bruno

Murphy          Gordon         Barnes

Wilson

Would be my change.

We neutralize Barkley, we win this game. Insane how he's ran the show against us the way he has after our last game against them and the form he's currently in. Hopefully, if we aren't going to sweep his leg, Howe has anohter good idea to nullify him.