Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

Bobbins first half performance IMO.

2 minutes ago, M1tche said:

Everytime we slow it down and think abou tthe pass, we cut them open. 

Agree. We can control the game, but instead we seem a bit overly-confident without the midfield dominance or solidity to back it up. Frequent complaint for me is how overly-direct we are when attacking, as though there is an NBA shot clock violation or something.

A shame as I was really hoping for a comfy battering to avenge the reverse fixture.

Pathetic.

They gave us a soft lead twice and we have given them just as soft equalisers.

We are not having any sort of possession, either to just control the game, or a steady build up. We have had about 4 counter attacks which have lead to 2 goals and that is about it.

We are just not doing anything when they have the ball, just backing off hoping they’re either run out of ideas, or run out of space. No pressure other than just being a couple of yards away from them and at best between them and the goal.

Been objectively a decent watch but as others have said it's really hard to get your head around how good we were at the back not long ago when you watch us now.

Looking forward to seeing Barnes and Wilson in the second half.

Possible the most disjointed performance I have seen from us in a long time.

Botman so slow and off the pace. Schar literally giving up on the second. Makes more sense if he is injured.

Burn is becoming a liability against pacey wingers.have to get tino on.

The possession and sloppy passing is maddening. 

Can't believe this is the same side that played villa. Isak aside.

I know we're not winning, but that was a really enjoyable half of football. Credit to Luton they are committing a lot of men forward, which has made it a really stretched and entertaining game, feel like we should be a couple up, and that our front three have interchanged well, as we've broke really well several times.

Just now, Jagten said:

They've done a good job of fucking with our build up. That was pretty bad. 

We've done a pretty good job at fucking up our own build up too with aimless punts in behind tbh.

Bring on wor Tino please. Some dude sprinted full speed for about 60 metres, stopped, met Burn, then had the pace to beat him without really straining [emoji38]

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Almiron not involved. 

Aye, he’s been completely anonymous.

13 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Don't care that he has scored twice, Longstaff is pissing me off royally. 

It's a problem, same with Murphy, he's doing some great approach work but then inevitably passes to the opposition or launches the ball 20 yards into nowhere.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Almiron not involved. 

Not true at all.

His pass set us off for our 2nd goal.

He's had more touches than the other two in our front 3.

Our 3rd best passer of the ball and third most passes.

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Almiron not involved. 

He's one of the few who's managed to keep the ball in tight spaces when he's getting pressed though.

Can see why we picked Burn because of how much physicality they have on set pieces but we've conceded from a set piece and Burn has been obliterated by Ogbene so it's safe to say that has backfired.

Edited by ponsaelius

Longstaff will get headlines for scoring two goals, but he's been absolutely dogshit in everything else. Burn is becoming more of an issue with every game. I just don't know how Tino is not getting a game 

Lots of people blaming us for playing poorly, but maybe there's credit to Luton for not letting us play well?

When we do that to other teams and the commentators / other fans say they didn't play well against us, we're often raging at not getting enough credit. I think there's an element of that here, Luton have stopped us playing as they have against many sides this year.

That's not to say we can't do anything about it and that we can't improve and cut out some individual errors, but let's not just dismiss the role the opposition have in how we've (not) played. They've harried us into misplaced passes, pressured us deep, made us make mistakes.