Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

48 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Clearly off to join Ashworth at the Mancs, unfortunately they’re assembling a very good team off the pitch and making us look like a right bunch of plodders in comparison.

Feels like club has stagnated slightly in recent months, would like to see some positive moves off the pitch this summer and some clear direction of travel.

In what way?

53 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Clearly off to join Ashworth at the Mancs, unfortunately they’re assembling a very good team off the pitch and making us look like a right bunch of plodders in comparison.

Feels like club has stagnated slightly in recent months, would like to see some positive moves off the pitch this summer and some clear direction of travel.

I mean they look like they tapped up atleast three of the backroom staff. Dodgy dealings by the rat. I do agree on having some of these in place before new season kicks off mind. 

8 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Anything to back this up other than your own hunch?

Just now, sushimonster85 said:

Proper out of nowhere! Shows how close we are able to keep things now. Not heard his name mentioned since way before the Freedman events. 

But, but, eveyone here knows exactle what is going on here they've all told us ad nauseum

I remember reading he was really keen on the job, which is always a great sign.

He's the one that was at Monaco right? That French market is so good, so that experience would be huge.

Paul Mitchell said: "It's with immense pride that I accept the responsibility of being Newcastle United's new sporting director.

"I've seen the recent growth and ambition of the club. This, plus the amazing fan base, made the decision to join an easy one.

"I can’t wait to get started and help continue the organisation's growth and long-term competitiveness in all areas of elite football performance."

It's a small/daft thing - and someone else more than likely wrote the quote for him to sign off - but I always love it when sports people (or people in general actually) use words like responsibility rather than opportunity in things like this. I remember when Harrington won his second Open on the bounce he spoke about "taking responsibility to win," always stuck with me. Makes this guy come across as a serious bloke who is going to take us where we want to go, rather than "try" to do it.

Just now, KaKa said:

I remember reading he was really keen on the job, which is always a great sign.

He's the one that was at Monaco right? That French market is so good, so that experience would be huge.

He was yes. He did always seem like a good fit on paper, let’s hope he stays longer than dirty Dan did. 

Great news. A quick google search indicates our players are going to have wonderful hair, which can only help with global brand development.

He was head of recruitment for Spurs a few years ago but he’s coming straight from Monaco where he’s been their sporting director for the last 5 years almost.

Highly respected. Let’s see how he gets on.

Can't say I'd heard of him, but that CV looks class. 

Look forward to finding hidden gems, that we'd be able to keep in the long term (in the hope that the Minteh deal was an aberration and necessity at this stage of our growth).

Great appointment and explains why there hasn't been any immediate movement on big signings.

Probably having a short review first.

Looks way less ratty than Ashworth.

Also.... ITKs in the mud again.