Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

8 hours ago, Jagten said:

Phil Giles has a PhD in applied maths (from Newcastle). He spent 8 years at Matthew Benham's SmartOdds in quant research (eventually running it), developing some of the formative models in football analytics, before impressing enough to be appointed as Brentford's co-DoF. I think he's better equipped for a data-led approach than anyone, and he's way more interesting than Ashworth. 

Just looking now on his LinkedIn and he did the MMathStat, which is an undergraduate degree that turns into a postgraduate degree after a couple of years. He got a 1st, which is seriously good going and (at least these days) not that common because it's very difficult to do that well at UG level then keep it up into PG level. He then went straight into a Stats PhD. Obviously the work he's done after finishing his PhD speaks for itself, but academically he looks really impressive too. 

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I would think she's effectively the ownership representative - acting like a chair - rather than running the day-to-day football or commercial operations

I hope so, anyway

I read in the Athletic that they are asset managers with a contract to manage the club on behalf of PIF. Not sure if it was this article I read but it does say, 

"The Saudi fund, just like those in Abu Dhabi, Qatar and Norway, employs professional asset managers to make shrewd investments and manage assets. MBS will not be scouting which centre-back Newcastle should target in the January transfer window.

"Rather, Staveley and Ghodoussi have the contract to manage Newcastle. But they are “asset managers”, acting on behalf of the consortium that is 80 per cent comprised of the PIF and, by extension, the Saudi state."

It does feel like they are much more hands-on than a normal Chair representing the ownership but to repeat I'm not criticising them at all even though I could see how it might muddy the waters.

PIF is a sovereign wealth fund. They operate in a similar way to how a large pension scheme would operate in Europe.

They are an asset owner not an asset manager. They couldn't possibly try to actively manage day to day operations of every asset they own and nor would they want to. 

8 hours ago, MagMal said:

Just get the lads who invented championship / football manager, job done!

Everton fans through and through, the unfortunate bastards.

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-dan-ashworth-setback-2914017

It's starting

No names linked but Newcastle to "review their sporting director model"

But Eales says in his remarks about Ashworth’s departure that the hunt for a replacement begins immediately? https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/dan-ashworth-commences-gardening-leave/

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

What authority does this lad on Twitter have like? Good record of getting things right?

This would be my question also.

Apparently Michael Edwards is interested in our job!  Unfortunately...

Michael Edwards, also known as Eddie the Eagle, was a British ski jumper who competed in the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary.

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Said it before but would be depressed by Richard Hughes.

Bournemouth United. 

Bournemouth seem very well ran at the minute, made a brave but probably correct long term choice with the head coach, and their recruitment in the summer was bold (going for youth, etc). Why would he be a bad pick?

Edited by Optimistic Nut

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Bournemouth seem very well ran at the minute, made a brave but probably correct long term choice with the head coach, and their recruitment in the summer was bold (going for youth, etc). Why would he be a bad pick?

Because we need best in class, with experience of European competition. I think it’s a question of ambition at this stage and Hughes would be classed as a step down on what we had. 

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Because we need best in class, with experience of European competition. I think it’s a question of ambition at this stage and Hughes would be classed as a step down on what we had. 

Tend to agree. Wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram, but I want us to hire the best in class, and what are the chances that person once again works at Bournemouth?