FAC QF: Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United (16/03/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

Just now, KaKa said:

With every passing game the hole Joelinton has left in this team is more and more evident.

His absence feels like it has taken two people out of the team. The press has suffered and our general defensive solidity.

Some people think he shouldn't be in our midfield and I really couldn't disagree more.

Please pay that man.

Yep, continues to be an immense loss to this team. 

It's been "good" in the same way it would be good when a Steve Bruce side went to City and weren't 5-0 down by half time.

Reality is it's been a poor performance again. Disjointed going forward (albeit there have been some glimmers) and defensively all over the place again. It's fortunate to be only two tbh.   

Both goals were entirely of our own making - unfortunate in the last instance, but completely preventable in the build up. No pressure on the ball until the last minute, way too easy for them to get shots away. 

Was always going to be a tough fixture but it's the same story every week. Hopefully Howe can change something at half time but it's hard to see it not ending 4 or 5. 

To be fair... I think it's pretty clear anyone saying we have been alright were people thinking we would be 4 or 5 down and unable to pass to each other. We are much better than our basement level expectations and did better than expected in that case.

Have we been competitive though. Nope.

We're just comfortably outclasssed in every single area of the park. It's no one's fault as such, it's just so difficult playing the best team on the planet in their own backyard. Not going to have too much of a pop at this tonight, losing to this lot is no disgrace but we need to step it up a bit and at least try and land a few punches at the other end. We've been a little unlucky with the deflections but they're a class apart

4 minutes ago, worthy said:

Its more so the way Howe approaches games, and abundance of loyalty to out of form players. And of course that god forsaken midfield pocket that has been open since he took over. We are letting in soft goals left right and center, fair enough some freak injuries has been ruining the season, but he is so fucking stubborn to change, its like we have plan A and that's it. If plan A fails, then the whole damn house of cards blow over. And the "we played really well" after Chelsea match was like an insult.

Interesting time to make this point when we've literally just changed everything from the way we setup against Chelsea.

I hope one day we improve our passing and ball retention. I thought by now we'd play more controlled football and inject pace at the right points. We desperately need to remove players who are uncomfortable in the ball.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I never thought of writing positive or negative comments on the internet as being ‘support’ or not.  Actually being at the ground was usually how that was defined.  I’m old fashioned like that, though.  

But you guys always mock the tourists at the likes of Man Utd that are there on match days, so which is it? Also, good luck to any team trying to compete at the top that doesn't figure out how to grow their global support outside of their immediate match day attendance.

Get Hall on. Might improve our ability to retain possession at times. Every time we keep the ball it’s for 2-3 passes at most. City are good, but we are poor in general when it comes to control the ball and retain possession. 

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Been unlucky with the deflections tonight but every week we concede goals that the opposition barely have to graft for. Sick of it.

Absolutely, it's the ease of the goals conceded, same against chelsea.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Interesting time to make this point when we've literally just changed everything from the way we setup against Chelsea.

Worrying he’s reverted to Bruce-esc tactics all of a sudden

15 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Hope this ref is locked in his back garden with a pack of XL bullies. Horrific cunt.

Is that form of gardening leave available for Ashworth aswell?

imagine having Pope, Tripps/Tino and Joelinton/Tonali available 

next season should be much better so long as we're not cursed with ridiculous amount of injuries again 

Just now, KaKa said:

But you guys always mock the tourists at the likes of Man Utd that are there on match days, so which is it? Also, good luck to any team trying to compete at the top that doesn't figure out how to grow their global support outside of their immediate match day attendance.

I just don’t think that writing positive things on the internet = support.  It’s a completely passive experience with zero effort required.  I’m sat on my arse watching this on TV.