Newcastle United 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur (13/04/24) | Reaction: pg 36

Yorkie

43 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Why would you think that?

I would think that the club wants and expects them to stay till the end of their contracts and then to renew them.

Goodness only knows what other great players will have joined us (and them) by then.

There seems to be a problem, a genuine problem, with people adapting to the club that we now are.

Darren Eales target audience for the "FFP rumours" was not our own supporters, it was to get a wide-ranging debate going around the EPL about FFP. He has succeeded.

Apparently there's only you and I feel that way on this forum.  AND both of us were correct about the takeover actually happening.

Watched it through again. Leaving aside the tactical excellence EH displayed and the gutsy and powerful performances by a slew of our players, a few things shone out to me, mainly about Spurs. Maddison in space with time is a heck of a player on the ball but I 100% doubt he'd fit with Howe's ethos and he's also a snidey prick and a big whiner to boot.

I think Kulusevski's one of their best players and was pleased he didn't start, he'd 100% fit in with what we do and would have been brilliant in that right-sided spot. Miles better than Johnson who still looks like he needs a ton of coaching to coax out the ability he has.

Also, what the fuck is wrong with Romero? He's an utter weirdo, constantly on the lookout for conflict and looking to foul and hurt players. Bruno might have been being a dafty with the 4 fingers but Romero and Lo Celso (who came on and spent 10 minutes just wrestling with our players at corners and generally being a tit) were both at it at the final whistle, couldn't let it go. Big mentality problem at that club.

1 hour ago, manorpark said:

Why would you think that?

I would think that the club wants and expects them to stay till the end of their contracts and then to renew them.

Goodness only knows what other great players will have joined us (and them) by then.

There seems to be a problem, a genuine problem, with people adapting to the club that we now are.

Darren Eales target audience for the "FFP rumours" was not our own supporters, it was to get a wide-ranging debate going around the EPL about FFP. He has succeeded.

Wait, what? I said "atleast". Which even includes scenarios like staying with us for the rest of their carreers. You're twisting my words here. I was just saying that I don't see them going this summer or in january, I expressed no opinion one way or the other regarding their future here after january.

Edited by Erikse

6 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Watched it through again. Leaving aside the tactical excellence EH displayed and the gutsy and powerful performances by a slew of our players, a few things shone out to me, mainly about Spurs. Maddison in space with time is a heck of a player on the ball but I 100% doubt he'd fit with Howe's ethos and he's also a snidey prick and a big whiner to boot.

I think Kulusevski's one of their best players and was pleased he didn't start, he'd 100% fit in with what we do and would have been brilliant in that right-sided spot. Miles better than Johnson who still looks like he needs a ton of coaching to coax out the ability he has.

Also, what the fuck is wrong with Romero? He's an utter weirdo, constantly on the lookout for conflict and looking to foul and hurt players. Bruno might have been being a dafty with the 4 fingers but Romero and Lo Celso (who came on and spent 10 minutes just wrestling with our players at corners and generally being a tit) were both at it at the final whistle, couldn't let it go. Big mentality problem at that club.

I have a minor theory about defenders who go out of their way to start fights that they want to piss off the other team so much that they will go out of their way to try and nutmeg or beat them directly thus magnetically drawing strikers to them to get tackled and fail to take the more direct easy way to score. Or just maybe believe that a) their performance benefits from playing at all times furious, or b) regardless of daft reasons like above if the opposition are scared of how angry you are they wont play well near you. Which in retrospect the intimidation thing it definitely is but i can't really imagine premier league footballers get that intimidated by other premier league footballers? Maybe playing a lower league club in fa cup players will think may get injured by crazy tackles etc...

Edited by Tiresias

When the timesheet was announced at the weekend, everyone was rightfully baffled as to why it was randomly in numerical order. Do we think that was a ploy from Howe as to not hint at our game-plan and system? :lol: 

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

When the timesheet was announced at the weekend, everyone was rightfully baffled as to why it was randomly in numerical order. Do we think that was a ploy from Howe as to not hint at our game-plan and system? :lol: 

Heard that on a podcast. That and the pre-game press conference comments on player availability and in the warm up when a back four was lined up for the usual defence line/heading practice shows we are definitely becoming much cuter with team lineups.

4 hours ago, Rod said:

Apparently there's only you and I feel that way on this forum.  AND both of us were correct about the takeover actually happening.

We were, we were, there were 'a few others' (Whitley Mag was one) but we were in a much ridiculed minority back then.

However, the future is ours !!!!

27 minutes ago, manorpark said:

We were, we were, there were 'a few others' (Whitley Mag was one) but we were in a much ridiculed minority back then.

However, the future is ours !!!!

I loved the way you handled the posters who ridiculed our opinion.  With facts, humour etc.  Whereas I wasn't as diplomatic and I could let my frustrations be known.  Anyway, we made a good team.  Back on topic, there is no way Bruno and Isak are being sold in the near future.

11 hours ago, Rod said:

I loved the way you handled the posters who ridiculed our opinion.  With facts, humour etc.  Whereas I wasn't as diplomatic and I could let my frustrations be known.  Anyway, we made a good team.  Back on topic, there is no way Bruno and Isak are being sold in the near future.

Correct! :indi:

13 hours ago, 54 said:

Isn't that quite obvious when we have never done it previously, as far as I'm aware?

Howe is always lying in his press conferences and all :lol: maybe lying is a bit harsh.  But he certainly likes smoke and mirrors.  It's the same with transfers.  Deals are basically agreed, medicals done, interviews underway and he's still straight batting everything. 

Remember when Tindall came in and tried it and it was just blatant he wasn't telling the truth :lol: 

55 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Isn't that quite obvious when we have never done it previously, as far as I'm aware?

Howe is always lying in his press conferences and all :lol: maybe lying is a bit harsh.  But he certainly likes smoke and mirrors.  It's the same with transfers.  Deals are basically agreed, medicals done, interviews underway and he's still straight batting everything. 

Remember when Tindall came in and tried it and it was just blatant he wasn't telling the truth :lol: 

To be honest it was the fact that they'd messed up the team sheet that gave me hope we were doing something different tactically :lol: Probably should've stuck with the usual format if that was the case.

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Remember when Tindall came in and tried it and it was just blatant he wasn't telling the truth

How can you lie with those eyes and smile. 

Caitlin Stasey Creepy Smile GIF by Smile Movie

15 hours ago, 54 said:

With the exception of the keeper, Spurs team was also numerical 

There are not many things I love more in football than a proper good high press. Add to that, ours, which fuels the crowd and then it’s the players and crowd feeding each other and it rattles the living fuck out of the opposition. I’ve never seen anything like it. 

16 minutes ago, Kanji said:

There are not many things I love more in football than a proper good high press. Add to that, ours, which fuels the crowd and then it’s the players and crowd feeding each other and it rattles the living fuck out of the opposition. I’ve never seen anything like it. 

We've got a great high press, a central-defence that can win most in the air when they do have to go long, plus dangerous on the counter attack.

Once we have the sweeper keeper situation sorted (I still think this area should be one of our priorities this summer), we won't have many weaknesses.

Usual nonsense from Garth:

Fabian Schar (Newcastle): Fabian Schar should have been booked in the first few minutes against Tottenham for his tackle on Son Heung-min and so should Dan Burn for pulling back James Maddison. If referees are going to be lenient in the opening exchanges, and I detect more officials are giving players a little latitude, it should not be for deliberate or premeditated offences.

Garth, can you point out where the nasty man hurt you and what the actual f--k have Spurs ticket prices got to do with the Ice Man's performance....find a new job you bell end

The bits about us in bold

Fabian Schar (Newcastle): Fabian Schar should have been booked in the first few minutes against Tottenham for his tackle on Son Heung-min and so should Dan Burn for pulling back James Maddison. If referees are going to be lenient in the opening exchanges, and I detect more officials are giving players a little latitude, it should not be for deliberate or premeditated offences.

Let's not go back to the days when it was accepted a defender could have a free hit at a striker and the official would turn a blind eye. Having said that, the fixture was never in doubt once Newcastle realised that their visitors were never up for the battle. This was a poor show by Tottenham but an impressive performance in the end by Newcastle.

From his very first tackle, Schar was determined to leave an impression on the game and he did just that.

Alexander Isak (Newcastle): Spurs were 3-0 down in less than 60 minutes. If ever there was a case of a team showing how desperately inconsistent they are, then Tottenham's performance at St James' Park was it.

The normally impressive Micky van de Ven looked like he was playing on skis, while James Maddison seem to go through the entire match as if the scoreline didn't matter, oblivious of the fact that his team were fighting for a Champions League spot, and getting hammered.

Newcastle's Alexander Isak took complete advantage of Tottenham's failings with two well-taken goals, and with a bit of luck the Sweden international might have had a third. Tottenham have increased their ticket prices for next season. With a Champions League spot looking increasingly unlikely as the season draws towards a close, can anyone offer a justification?

Edited by Mag_in_NZ

23 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Worth a minute of your time;

:)

I've wondered before if I'll still be a lunatic watching NUFC when I'm older. This gives me hope.

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We've got a great high press, a central-defence that can win most in the air when they do have to go long, plus dangerous on the counter attack.

Once we have the sweeper keeper situation sorted (I still think this area should be one of our priorities this summer), we won't have many weaknesses.

Yeah for sure, our mid block was unreal last year with a fully fit defence