Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Waugh's take...

Screenshot_20240909_154140_The Athletic.jpg

Then I’d criticise the fact that Mitchell was daft enough to hold a 90 min interview with no cameras and allowed the local hacks to print whatever parts of his comments they liked …

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Then I’d criticise the fact that Mitchell was daft enough to hold a 90 min interview with no cameras and allowed the local hacks to print whatever parts of his comments they liked …

The club would usually record everything discussed.  Have their own copy.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don't fully get it either. We have the facility to release precisely whatever message we want, delivered in exactly the intended tone, yet we hold these behind-closed-doors press conferences with next to no control over how it's covered. Ashworth did one too. Does it all come down to press relations and trying to avoid damaging, irritated stories that might emerge if we didn't collaborate?

Waugh neatly summarising why all of the coverage of that interview needs taking with a pinch of salt. A 90-minute conversation distilled into soundbites for engagement at a time where consumers are searching for someone to blame. Truly not worth more than a few moments of anyone's consideration. 

On 08/09/2024 at 14:01, PauloGeordio said:

Una Paloma Blanca

Fucking hell this is the song I could never place in that Eddie Murphy SNL sketch. Holy shit.

Mitchell fucked up by letting the Guehi saga drag out in public, the one thing with Ashworth and Staveley was the first time you heard about a transfer it was done and dusted. 

49 minutes ago, Ben said:

Mitchell fucked up by letting the Guehi saga drag out in public, the one thing with Ashworth and Staveley was the first time you heard about a transfer it was done and dusted. 

And you know that for certain do you? Why would we put things in the public domain, all the noise was coming from the Palace end. By all accounts and according to Mitchel the final offer was made two weeks before the end of the window although dialogue remained open.

It was a poor window, mistakes were made but let’s not start making wild accusations that we don’t know are true. As I’ve said on here previously much of what Mitchel says makes sense. We do need to evolve in the PAR world in terms of signings and selling players and Howe probably needs to adapt to a degree. The proof will be in the pudding in terms of the players he brings in and his relationship with Howe.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Seems to be a myth around us doing transfers in private and out of the blue. The majority of them are in the press for weeks/months beforehand.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Seems to be a myth around us doing transfers in private and out of the blue. The majority of them are in the press for weeks/months beforehand.

True. It even took a while to get Kelly ‘over the line’. Tosin dragged on, as did the boy who ended up at PSG. We were after Slob who went to Liverpool for a while. Even Gordon was linked 6 months before.

8 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

There was about 30 Mitchell pages when I logged on.

So what’s the story? Mitchell good or Mitchell bad?

IMG_7967.jpeg.9297e5d1d8cd0f9be8aa70dc8f9540aa.jpeg

I can't be arsed to read it :lol: - I swear 90% of it is something out of nothing. Papers are loving narrative of division, can see that much, regardless if any of it is based on fact.

5 hours ago, Ben said:

I think much of the blame must go to Parish. He was eager to play this out publicly and even granted interviews. He did what he did for his club but it sure didn't help us

3 hours ago, hakka said:

I can't be arsed to read it :lol: - I swear 90% of it is something out of nothing. Papers are loving narrative of division, can see that much, regardless if any of it is based on fact.

They are loving it. The thing is, it's pretty hard to create a narrative of division if everyone is united. 

I'm pretty relaxed about it all either way. To be the best we can be there are going to be disagreements and changes of personnel along the way. Everyone nodding along in agreement won't get us very far.

Bruce lands a new job. Ranger lands a new club. Anderson gets player of the month. Darlow gets called up for Wales.

Granted (Anderson aside) they all left before Mitchel was appointed, but it just goes to show players/staff are going onto achieve greater things without Mitchell holding them back.

15 minutes ago, TBG said:

Bruce lands a new job. Ranger lands a new club. Anderson gets player of the month. Darlow gets called up for Wales.

Granted (Anderson aside) they all left before Mitchel was appointed, but it just goes to show players/staff are going onto achieve greater things without Mitchell holding them back.

Worrying.