Final: England 1-2 Spain

Disco

Just now, Beren said:

Even if you take Kane's disingenuous "tired legs" excuse at face value (and you shouldn't), even that is an indictment of not utilising the immensely talented squad well over the course of the tournament.

How the fuck Gordon got 5 minutes in the entire tournament will be a mystery for the ages. 

5 minutes ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

From the outside, it is very funny to see the disconnect between Southgate's accomplishments and the way you English people talk about him.:lol:I've watched this team my whole life, and generally, they rarely play cohesive football and generally are not particularly good. Missing tournaments and crashing out early are nothing new to England, despite generally having strong talent. I understand some of the annoyance; I can see the football being played, but Southgate has turned England into consistently one of the best teams in the world with results better than any nation in same time frame. This was not case when he inherited the team. His time has passed at this point, anyway.

What this totally misses is that England now have elite players.

Back in 2018 Southgate did well with a deeply average squad, he did a great job. But he has failed to get the best out of the talent England now have.

England genuinely had a better squad than Italy in 2021 and Spain today, but in both finals Italy and Spain deserved their victories - that’s why the manager is responsible 

Just now, huss9 said:

Off the pitch maybe.

done nowt on it.

bottled it every time we've played a decent team.

8 years in and still no idea what our system or style of play is.

too scared to drop big names from the starting 11 and go with form.

It's been done to death so I'm not gonna bother other than to say that that is obviously bollocks. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Yeah good as Spain have been against the teams they've played, it's just a weak tournament in general. As KI said earlier, the likes of their 2012 team would have dusted them off no bother IMO. They wouldn't have laid a single glove on them. 

It seems to be part of the footballing cycle, Argentina aren't anything special yet won the World Cup and have been beaten something like 3 times in 3 yrs or 100bgames or something like that. Current national teams just don't look all that good.

2 minutes ago, andycap said:

He'd be better than Gareth mind. 

Give over.

He's another FA stooge who'd be infinitely grateful for the opportunity and absolutely no place at the top table of international management 

I'm sorry but we should have won that. I didn't think that at all against Italy. That Spanish team are not a team you normally see win European championships. I'll still defend him broadly but this is on Southgate, it's just how these things unfold when they don't work out.

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

Off the pitch maybe.

done nowt on it.

bottled it every time we've played a decent team.

8 years in and still no idea what our system or style of play is.

too scared to drop big names from the starting 11 and go with form.

As predicted, as we didn't win today now the Netherlands aren't even a decent team. 

Southgate has enough failings that you don't need to make shit up, just pick one of the ones based in reality. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

It's been done to death so I'm not gonna bother other than to say that that is obviously bollocks. 

bollocks? which bit?

I mean throughout the tournament. Spain have been great. I mean, ffs England have been crap and made their way to the final.  In conclusion, England didn't belong there man.

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Give over.

He's another FA stooge who'd be infinitely grateful for the opportunity and absolutely no place at the top table of international management 

He won the euro u21s tournament last year wasn't scared to experiment with certain players in different positions. 

4 minutes ago, toon25 said:

It's a mark of the infrastructure in England that (by and large - some exceptions), this is the quality of players produced and they consistently get to the further reaches if tournaments in spite of the fucking shite hawk lickspittles supposedly 'coaching' them. Southgate and Holland, man, they have absolutely FUCK ALL by way of credibility about them.

Its all based on this weasel and his England DNA

image.thumb.png.612ef08a3c831a93b3829af15f669a71.png

The plan was to have a structure so that it didnt matter who was coaching the team as they were just a souless cog in a bigger machine. The natural progression for the plan would be promoting from within and Lee Carsley taking over

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You've seen enough football in your years to know they weren't all that. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We should have won that man. Absolutely maddening 

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Give me this Spain team over the 2010-2012 class btw, the most boring side I've ever seen, regardless of quality.

Pissed are you?

Pretty awful tournament imo from an entertainment perspective.  

Football is getting so saturated with all the games they are forcing into the calendar and now they don't feel like events.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Give me this Spain team over the 2010-2012 class btw, the most boring side I've ever seen, regardless of quality.

All the fault of the teams they played because they were so good 

Fucking gutted really. First tournament as a single dad with these kids, just had 40 minutes of the biggest tears from my son, crying about all sorts. Poor little boy, football is fucking cruel