Marc Guehi

gdm

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

How so? He isn't in a hurry to sign a new deal and didn't move to another club. By all accounts he was interested in the move.

He was interested but hardly had his heart set on it, or he'd be here.

39 minutes ago, TRon said:

He was interested but hardly had his heart set on it, or he'd be here.

How do you know that ? 

It could, however unlikely, be that he acted professionally, rather than act like a brat wanting his own way, he was honouring his current contract and didn't kick off, and would stand by his clubs decision.  He may well have let Palace know his feelings, but we don't know either way do we ?

I forget who said it, but the saying "When you 'assume' you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'" is always rather apt in this situations.

Edited by Bimpy474

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

How do you know that ? 

It could, however unlucky, be that he acted professionally, rather than act like a brat wanting his own way, he was honouring his current contract and didn't kick off, and would stand by his clubs decision.  He may well have let Palace know his feelings, but we don't know either way do we ?

I forget who said it, but the saying "When you 'assume' you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'" is always rather apt in this situations.

From the Mail article:

---------------------------------------------------------

Palace didn't budge on their price. Newcastle didn't fold.

Palace's valuation may have seemed excessive. But at the very heart of the club's sky-high valuation was the player's refusal to push for a move.

If Guehi had made clear he wanted to leave then chances are that he would be a Newcastle player today for a fee less than £75million.

Now that might be journalistic bullshit, but was something I was questioning previously in this thread even before it went to print. It's just an opinion, you don't have to agree with it. But I doubt very much if he'll end up here now, just think with each window his price drops and cartel clubs will jump in.

22 minutes ago, TRon said:

From the Mail article:

Palace didn't budge on their price. Newcastle didn't fold.

Palace's valuation may have seemed excessive. But at the very heart of the club's sky-high valuation was the player's refusal to push for a move.

If Guehi had made clear he wanted to leave then chances are that he would be a Newcastle player today for a fee less than £75million.

Now that might be journalistic bullshit, but was something I was questioning previously in this thread even before it went to print. It's just an opinion, you don't have to agree with it. But I doubt very much if he'll end up here now, just think with each window his price drops and cartel clubs will jump in.

Could well be the journalistic bullshit as you pointed out. I do tend to fall in line with how you describe it actually, i think the other way (naively) to look at it is possible.

The hopeful part of me, has a little niggle telling me he's been promised the move in January. Unlikely i know, but we did go back for Botman after not getting him on our first try. Ah, just me being daft. 

Edited by Bimpy474

On 06/09/2024 at 14:01, JonBez comesock said:

Gordon’s price will plummet if we don’t get him to sign a new contract 

We have left ourselves in a ridiculously poor position in terms of contracts this year and next 

we could be left with only Lloyd Kelly and Botman as centre backs 

Dan Burn

Krafth

Lascelles

Schar 

all have 10 months left 

Same with 3 of our keepers !

Could be left with Pope (who only has 22 month left) and Greek keeper !

Huge decisions in the next few months in terms of contracts 

I'm still really skeptical we paid all that money for Gordon and only gave him a 3.5 year contract, no matter what anyone says. Burn will stay no matter what if we want to keep him. Schär will stay unless he feels like he would be sitting on the bench which seems unlikely and he can play on both sides in any case. Krafth and Lascelles have been good servants but think it's time to move on from both. All three of the keepers going would be no trouble at all, we need a younger one in any case to hedge our future and doubt Gillespie is in any hurry to quit his best job in the world.

The situation looks radical but I think it's a positive and hopefully Mitchell can replace those older squad players with some younger players with big potential and most likely on lower wages too.

Looks so half arsed with that. Seems to see the keeper coming and just kind of tries to shove Vardy and then nearly stops. :lol: 

See a few scouting pieces saying he sometimes switches off for a split second and it can cost him. Looked like he was never paying attention for any of that. 

Worth pointing out it is shit from Henderson there and all. Shouldn’t be rushing out at that angle. He wasn’t fully away from Guehi and it’s not an easy angle. Proper no man’s land. 

He never was his replacement. I don’t want us to replace Schar though, to be fair. Strong backup for both him and Botman and a RW were the must haves. 

Edited by Ronaldo

2 minutes ago, Decky said:

Palace rejected 70m for this dude and were smug as fuck about it. :lol:

Said it in the other games thread but not getting Guehi may be one of the best bits of business we’ve ever done. I say that as a fan of him as well but the whole thing was absurd from start to finish

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Said it in the other games thread but not getting Guehi may be one of the best bits of business we’ve ever done. I say that as a fan of him as well but the whole thing was absurd from start to finish

Totally agree, there's a player in there that the beginning of this season is not showcasing, hard to blame him for being off after the window. He's not and never has been a 70m player, but I think we'll be back for him at a more reasonable fee, we usually go back for players when we don't initially get them.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

Not having Andersen with him may have affected him also (not seen any highlights from the game).

Anderson is a cracking centre back tbf, even if he lacks pace. He sees everything a split second earlier than most.

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

done for pace by a 43 year old Jamie Vardy?

Nah you can keep him Palace

that should knock a fair few mil off his price.  I don't think he's had a very good start to the season.