Marc Guehi

gdm

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm no pessemist, but the likes of Bruno, Isak and Gordon genuinely aren't going to be okay with just sitting around with us stagnating. They'll want to win things and are good enough to. 

We know exactly what "stagnating" as a club feels like, and this is no where near that though, not even close. 

As for a players leaving because of a desire to win things- there's about 5 clubs in the world that offers that appeak, and yes they poses a risk with those players being such high quality, but they'd pose that same risk if we were winning cups anyway.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's mad by Palace though. Starve yourself of a massive payday for the sake of a few months of a player who you publicly put on the market. 

Not really, they still get a massive pay day next summer and they don’t need the money given how much selling they’ve done. 

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm no pessemist, but the likes of Bruno, Isak and Gordon genuinely aren't going to be okay with just sitting around with us stagnating. They'll want to win things and are good enough to. 

Well they aren't leaving this windows there are still at least a window and a bit to show them we aren't stagnating 

Just now, Thumbheed said:

We know exactly what "stagnating" as a club feels like, and this is no where near that though, not even close. 

As for a players leaving because of a desire to win things- there's about 5 clubs in the world that offers that appeak, and yes they poses a risk with those players being such high quality, but they'd pose that same risk if we were winning cups anyway.

Couldn’t disagree more like, you can still stagnate at a higher position than what we did. 

We are basically asking Eddie to perform miracles year on year in order for us to not stagnate which isn’t sustainable. 

if we are being honest, the owners haven’t actually made any difficult decisions since coming in. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's mad by Palace though. Starve yourself of a massive payday for the sake of a few months of a player who you publicly put on the market. 

They never needed the money though, thats partly the frustration we didn't walk away sooner and sort an alternative.

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Having Murphy as our possible RW is stagnation.

West Ham have really improved, Brighton look good. 

As things stand we are in for a tough season.

Just now, Thumbheed said:

That's not what stagnating means, it just means standing still. You can be standing still in 7th or 17th and doing so is going to be based on what you and the clubs around you do in the market. We've done nothing, but ultimately the point is that we have players right now that wouldn't want to stagnate in 7th and them leaving would exacerbate our situation unless we reinvested and had a 2nd phase. 

5 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

Having digested this latest development (or non-development), I think it's hugely disappointing.

We showed under Howe in his first season, what potential we had as a team and what could be done.

We then had a lower finish last year despite injuries, etc... and I think that allowed us, despite a lower finish, of just what exactly we could possibly achieve.

The summer window was a chance to strengthen, add that extra quality that would take us back to a 4th/5th place. I'd argue it was tweaks required rather than wholesale changes.

If we have dropped the ball on this summer's window, it's more than just 'a window' for me. January is notoriously bad for getting deals done and getting value for money on the whole. So in reality, a 'poor' window, is actually us potentially sticking with what we have until next summer, despite pretty much everyone acknowledging that we may fall short again if we fail to add the tweaks and extra quality, to take us that x% higher.

If things stay as they are, we have basically allowed our progress to essentially stagnate, which I think is pretty poor and not good enough considering where we could be.

Others will disagree with me, and I may look back on this post at the end of the season and be proven wrong, but this is how it feels currently.

I think you're exactly right.

Just now, r0cafella said:

Not really, they still get a massive pay day next summer and they don’t need the money given how much selling they’ve done. 

Probably goes for about half that £70M they would've got now though. Plus it's a risk of disappointing the player in question, he's already had two relatively average performances this season, which could've partly been caused by this saga. Who knows what'll happen this season to affect his price for next summer.

No idea why we myopically focused on guehi. I understood did first few weeks but then... Feels amateur. Unless something changes revising my hopes for season down to 7th maximum tbh. We can't go into the season still short at back and no better going forward and expect improvement. 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

If he's as good as we obviously rate him then £75-80m is probably justifiable tbf. I cannot remember us being so suicidally insistant on one player before :lol:

If we obviously rate him at that price we'd have bid that price before now, doesn't seem like we have.

Just now, Mazzy said:

Probably goes for about half that £70M they would've got now though. Plus it's a risk of disappointing the player in question, he's already had two relatively average performances this season, which could've partly been caused by this saga. Who knows what'll happen this season to affect his price for next summer.

Mount went for what 70m with a year left? I reckon they get 50m for him next season no worries. 

I feel like as i'm getting older I just can't be arsed with negativity anymore, like objectively it'll be a poor window if we don't sign anyone, there is no disputing it, and a couple of years ago i'd probably be upset, but right now, I really just don't have the energy in me to care that much about it. Like realistically we still have owners who want us to improve, the club will still be here in 5 years, with a likely new set of players, and the world will keep on spinning, with this transfer window having been forgotten. So i'm just sat here reading all the angry posts being very "Meh, whatever, these things happen".

Is it just me like that?

Just now, r0cafella said:

Mount went for what 70m with a year left? I reckon they get 50m for him next season no worries. 

Pre PSR though, things only went to shit once people realised points deductions are coming. Transfer spend is way down YOY.

Said it a while ago i feel we are building our squad akin to the way Liverpool did. Pretty sure they had a window where they wanted VVD all window and it never happened and they waited until the next window rather than squander their money elsewhere. 

Only difference ability aside is MG and his agent seem like they have a totally different character compared to VVD’s.

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

I don’t have an issue with us walking away if we feel we’ve made a fair offer. The problem is deciding this too late and leaving us short of a plan B CB.

I don’t think anyone has an issue with us walking away, those articles hinting we will likely sign nobody of note and the inevitable no time left excuse is what will trigger everyone :lol: