Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

I have to admit that a lot of the time it's the chemistry between Linekar, Shearer, and Wright that I enjoy. A great deal of the time in the analysis it's just say what you see.

Yeah I get that and Shearers analysis is usually OK, just think Wrights tactical analysis is too often like Alan Hansens used to be......crap when actually looked at using their own examples.

Guest firetotheworks

People who spell Gary Lineker's name incorrectly :bluestar:

[emoji38] My spelling's gone to shit recently. Always double bluff myself with Lineker.

When it comes down to it if there is doubt in real time it's much better for the ref to give the benefit of the doubt and allow goals to stand and not break up the passage of play too much. I think there is room for video replays to clear up major issues in games, (albeit currently tested implementation seemed way clumsy) but agree totally minor incidents happen. If no-one spotted it during the match and if it wasn't deliberate foul play it feels petty.

Having now seen the Ozil handball 'controversy' can I add calling out missed fouls as being controversial despite there being like 10 passes, a corner and 5 good chances for a defence to clear a ball anyway after said controversy. Sorry if something happens directly after a foul is missed, sure super frustrating. If 5 minutes later there's a fucking goal it's not the fault of the ref.

When it comes down to it if there is doubt in real time it's much better for the ref to give the benefit of the doubt and allow goals to stand and not break up the passage of play too much. I think there is room for video replays to clear up major issues in games, (albeit currently tested implementation seemed way clumsy) but agree totally minor incidents happen. If no-one spotted it during the match and if it wasn't deliberate foul play it feels petty.

Having now seen the Ozil handball 'controversy' can I add calling out missed fouls as being controversial despite there being like 10 passes, a corner and 5 good chances for a defence to clear a ball anyway after said controversy. Sorry if something happens directly after a foul is missed, sure super frustrating. If 5 minutes later there's a f***ing goal it's not the fault of the ref.

It's just basically the media creating talking points because they have a lot of time/space to fill.

Ian Wright.  Easily one of the thickest and most ignorant pundits on telly.  He's got literally zero knowledge of any clubs apart from Arsenal and Palace, where he refers to alot of the players by their first names as if he's best mates with them all.  Last night he was doing some "analysis" on the Palace Huddersfield game and referred to one of the players as "the Huddersfield player" - is it not your job to know the names of players like you bellend?  Then a few seconds later he commented something about Middlesbrough, assuming he meant Huddersfield but i guess all of us Norvern Monkey clubs are all the same so it doesn't matter what u call them eh Wrighty?  Also, for a guy who was a brilliant striker in his day, he offers no decent tactical insight at all.  It's actually embarrassing that this guy has landed such good gigs on the telly.

Again crap analysis. Ian Wright on one of Huddersfields goals slating Tomkins  "He has got to get across" when there's another Huddersfield player coming in behind and if he comes across, like Wright says, and the ball gets played to the one in behind, Wright would then say "Tomkins came over for to early etc etc". It's bare basics and the screenshots prove they are talking crap.

If you're looking for decent analysis, MOTD is probably not the place for you tbh. :lol:

They are all nigh on clueless.

Again crap analysis. Ian Wright on one of Huddersfields goals slating Tomkins  "He has got to get across" when there's another Huddersfield player coming in behind and if he comes across, like Wright says, and the ball gets played to the one in behind, Wright would then say "Tomkins came over for to early etc etc". It's bare basics and the screenshots prove they are talking crap.

Dunno how i missed this before i posted about Wright but yeah i totally agree.  It seemed like he was criticizing just for the sake of it, or because he had nothing else worthwhile to say.  Says it all really he's total garbage.

Shearer is pretty good when he's analysing a game he's just watched. It's impossible to analyse 7 games well on the same night with only a few hours to prepare

That's fair enough but I think the point with Wright is, the basic underlying foundation of knowledge which ought to underpin his analysis is absent. Shearer wasn't great to begin with but you get the impression he works hard at it and he's improved a lot IMO. Wright is phoning it in.

Shearer is pretty good when he's analysing a game he's just watched. It's impossible to analyse 7 games well on the same night with only a few hours to prepare

I think Shearer was rubbish at first but has definitely improved over the years and is fairly decent now.  I like how brutal he is with players who are just going through the motions aswell, it's the kind of things that fans notice but a lot of pundits ignore unless they've got an affiliation with the club.

I think Shearer was rubbish at first but has definitely improved over the years and is fairly decent now.  I like how brutal he is with players who are just going through the motions aswell, it's the kind of things that fans notice but a lot of pundits ignore unless they've got an affiliation with the club.

Agree with that.

Considering we were winning most of the time last season and in the few seasons before that almost all enthusiasm for the club had been sucked out of me, I'd forgotten how shitty it makes you feel to lose. Been pissed off all day.

- The England Band.

- Lower league clubs going "oooooohhhhh you are shitaaaa" at goal kicks.

- Everton and their fans on Twitter.

- The Merseyside Derby being built up...they sit with each other ffs. They love each other. They don't hate each other. It's the exact opposite to Fener v Galatasaray.

- Glory hunting fans. Especially ones from China, India etc. Seeing tweets from 40 year olds in their Chelsea and Man City tops trying to tell clubs like NUFC that we're nothing. They've never been near Chelsea or Manchester. They'll only have switched on to them in the past 5-15 years so where were they before that?

- Fans of other clubs, it's mostly asian tourists mind, who get all giddy and take photos of opposition players who are literally CELEBRATING A GOAL AGAINST THE TEAM THEY'RE THERE TO SUPPORT.

- Half and Half scarves (I actually got given one by a Breda fan in 2004. Half NAC Breda, half NUFC). I've still got it. But I hate the ones with like Man City and Man Utd etc.

The half and half scarfs  :jesuswept:

I pretty much hate all pundits/reporters too (bar Tim Vickery and the BT European team on a Sunday); talk absolute nonesense; Carragher the other day during the Watford game was an embarrassment

BT Sport. Everything about it; the 'bantz' amongst the presenters and the pundits, the pundits themselves: it's pretty much all Liverpool or Man Utd pundits who disregard clubs outside of the top 7 (I remember when we drew 0-0 at Old Trafford under McClaren, Scholes comes out with 'United should be beating teams like this'), it's awful adverts and the fact they have 3 or more fucking commentators.

The only modicum of good about it is 5:30 Saturday kick offs, especially at home are good craic.

Guest firetotheworks

This one's specific to stuff on Facebook. The comments on stuff like Grass Root Goals where people just tag their mates and say how it's something similar to what they did is slightly annoying but only really because it gets in the way.

The one thing I can't stand, especially when it's a video of like a 7 year old football wonderkid or something, is people in the comments shitting on it and saying it was bad defending, bad goalkeeping, lucky, not that good etc etc. You see them all the time and they always have shit loads of likes.

EDITED