Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

I'd say the vast majority of handballs are not deliberate. It's not a natural thing to do when you're playing football, the only actual deliberate ones are those when they're trying to save a goal - Suarez, sTaylor, remember Nobby doing one. But pens are rarely for those kinds of instances.

When a free kick is close to the box and every commentator in the world going with the stock line of “It’s so close to goal, this. I bet he wishes it was a bit further back so he can get it UP AND OVER the wall.”

I'd say the vast majority of handballs are not deliberate. It's not a natural thing to do when you're playing football, the only actual deliberate ones are those when they're trying to save a goal - Suarez, sTaylor, remember Nobby doing one. But pens are rarely for those kinds of instances.

Again though, how many fouls are actually deliberate? I'd say the majority are a genuine attempt to get the ball. Same with handballs imo.

Again though, how many fouls are actually deliberate? I'd say the majority are a genuine attempt to get the ball. Same with handballs imo.

That's completely different though. You make a genuine attempt to get the ball when you tackle but you also accept the risk that if you mistime it, it's a foul.

Yeah the law is different for both cases, an accidental foul is still a foul.

I actually think they're enforcing the handball rule better nowadays tbh, it seems like more and more handball shouts are being waved away.

Yep, probably right, it's mainly the way commentators and pundits don't seem to understand the rule that gets on my tits.

That's completely different though. You make a genuine attempt to get the ball when you tackle but you also accept the risk that if you mistime it, it's a foul.

Playing devil's advocate here, same applies with blocking a cross. You see full-backs and defenders jumping up to block a cross, you similarly run the risk it hits your hand. If it's stopping a goalscoring opportunity I reckon it should be punishable.

International breaks. Not exactly a pet hate, I suppose, most people probably agree. I would have appreciated them as a break back when Spurs were mediocre, but now I'm just counting the hours until our next game.

Plus, I'm bored of most narratives with England. If it's not idiots complaining about Southgate trying new things in friendlies - precisely when he should be doing that - it's the (not necessarily incorrect, but dull) clamour to switch one mediocre player for another, or complaints that our mediocre team are being mediocre and not playing exciting attacking football. Add in the utter cuntery that has returned to the fore in our support and, frankly, I'm getting too old for this shit. For years the problem was that we couldn't get our players playing as a team. Southgate has at least achieved that.

• 2 weeks later...

Muted celebrations.

For example, the Cardiff player today goes and puts them 1-0 up in a game which would pretty much put them

in the PL and he walks off and stands still. Fuck off, run over to the fans and go fucking mental man.

Telepathic, knew how it would end.