Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Man had to search for this topic lol and posted initially in wrong one lol been so long since any of us have had any 'hates' lol

Our social media shouldn't have publicity shots of Bruno or our most joyful players in this silly super serious 'i've come to audit your taxes' sort of look, we play best with grins on our faces and Bruno's all joy and Brazilian flair

7 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

The trend of replacing the first letter of players'/managers'/anyone's forename and surname with the letter P. Pason Pount, Pivan Poney, Perik Pen Pag.

And myself for almost always finding it amusing. Ffs.

[emoji38] must be a long winter up there

• 3 weeks later...

People talking about statistics without context of the game, arguing that a team might have deserved a point or three based on xG or possession or attempts. 

Us under Rafa was a great counter point to this, where especially if we took the lead, we were very good at seeing games out without having much possession or creating much.

Football is such a low scoring game that just one goal usually changes the course of the game completely, quite often making the likes of xG nearly irrelevant. 

On 31/10/2022 at 11:46, HaydnNUFC said:

The trend of replacing the first letter of players'/managers'/anyone's forename and surname with the letter P. Pason Pount, Pivan Poney, Perik Pen Pag.

Is this a trend? Why? :lol:

Nutmegs being called nutmegs when the ball is simply passed through a player’s legs. Nutmegs to me where you flick the ball through the opponent’s legs and then get the next touch yourself. Anything else is just through the legs. US commentator said it last night. Stuck in my craw. 

Edited by Astroblack

On 31/10/2022 at 11:46, HaydnNUFC said:

Should have been around for Hungary in 1982 and Sandor Kiss, what a hoot that was.

But this 'receptions' stat. Ffs. What next expected goals or some shit?!

Edited by Wolfcastle

People saying EPL who are based in England. If you’re talking about the PL there is zero chance I might be confused and think you’re talking about some other country who’s copied the name or cricket. 

if you’re talking about a different PL then specify by all means. 

Edited by FLUMPO235

2 hours ago, wormy said:

Is this a trend? Why? :lol:

Search any relatively big name player on Twitter but replace the first letters of their forename and surname with a P and you'll see. 

Why? Haven't got the first clue :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

15 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Search any relatively big name player on Twitter but replace the first letters of their forename and surname with a P and you'll see. 

Yeah, dunno why this is a thing :lol: seemingly always used in conjunction with “is clear of”.

eg. Almiron: clear of Pack Pealish. Baffling stuff.

On 26/11/2022 at 22:08, HaydnNUFC said:

I think it originally comes from Messi stans calling CR7 Penaldo as a slight against him because a lot of his goals come from penalties or tap ins. Then it just spread from there, definitely don't quote me on that though [emoji38]

18 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

I think it originally comes from Messi stans calling CR7 Penaldo as a slight against him because a lot of his goals come from penalties or tap ins. Then it just spread from there, definitely don't quote me on that though [emoji38]

It's mad now. Spread to managers and even people non football related, Pelon Pusk and Pishi Punak being two that you can find. :lol:

On a similar note, probably in this thread already, "X misplaces the pass, wow he is human!" or "Don't say that very often!"

Well not since the last game you commentated on anyway, because that particular player, as they all do, will misplace at least one pass in most games and you always say the same bloody thing.

Commentators trying to subtly show off their basic geographical knowledge in international tournaments. “There were some wild scenes in the bars and cafes of Seoul” when South Korea progressed in 2002, or “you’d think this would be Marrakech or Casablanca with an atmosphere like that” after the Morocco national anthem etc. 

Edited by St. Maximin