St James' Park

Delima

3 minutes ago, Johnny said:

The club : We wont move away from SJP

The fans : The club should abandon SJP

The club : The city center location of SJP is perfect for the club so we wont move away from SJP and look for a way to expand it

The fans : The club should move away from SJP

:facepalm:

A small minority of fans. You’ll never please everyone. 

25 minutes ago, Johnny said:

The club : The city center location of SJP is perfect for the club so we wont move away from SJP and look for a way to expand it

That's the thing though...building a new stadium wouldnt be "moving away" from SJP. It would merely be moving SJP a hundred yards or so further north. One thing that everyone can agree on though is that NUFC must always, always have their stadium in the city centre.

It's pretty cool to think that we've played on the same rectangular piece of grass for about 130 years. Not sure many teams in any sport can say that, 99% of the team's history and achievements are linked to that one bit of turf in the city centre, this isn't a normal club in that respect

5 minutes ago, midds said:

It's pretty cool to think that we've played on the same rectangular piece of grass for about 130 years. Not sure many teams in any sport can say that, 99% of the team's history and achievements are linked to that one bit of turf in the city centre, this isn't a normal club in that respect

It's not just us that love that, visiting fans do as well.

7 hours ago, midds said:

Trigger's broom.

9 hours ago, midds said:

This is one of the reasons why I'll never understand how some people seem to be absolutely gagging to move elsewhere. 

12 hours ago, Johnny said:

The club : The city centre location of SJP is perfect for the club so we wont move away from SJP and look for a way to expand it

Most fans do not want to move away from SJP.

2 hours ago, NEEJ said:

This is one of the reasons why I'll never understand how some people seem to be absolutely gagging to move elsewhere. 

I don't think anyone is gagging to move but they see it as necessary

Thousands are missing out and moving is the solution

Like others though, if the solution involves moving away from the city centre then that's unacceptable 

On 03/12/2022 at 11:26, Optimistic Nut said:

Could the stadium be big enough one day that the upper tier could potentially leave the atmosphere?

mehrdad says somewhere between thermosphere and the exosphere. but only if we can move leazes terrace to somewhere like.....beamish. brick by brick. 

I think the most important thing is that if we look 5-10 years ahead the chances of us playing in front of 52k are very unlikely.

Let's say there is 0% chance of expansion, then the only place really is further up barrack road or SJH's castle leazes proposal (arena site not viable) anywhere else is too far away and would be detrimental to progress. I don't think we'd get 75000 in an out of town stadium, especially if the magic wears off. I've got to be honest I think I'd rather watch the match in a fanzone in the city centre than traipse to some soulless lump, it's not about being stuck in the past - it's learning from other clubs mistakes. They can build the Etihad to a 152,000 but it will still be shite compared to Maine road. You only got to look at their league win last season in the last game, a bit confetti and a few half arsed cheers. West ham....what a shambles, if that had happened to the toon I'd of give up on football. Even Roker park outranks the stadium of shite in everyway apart from a far higher number cheap placca seats.

mehrdad knows we can get 60000, he's hoping for 65000 but 70000 would be unrealistic with the problems but not impossible YET. Castle Leazes or barrack road would be the next best back up plan but we will just have to be patient until the club is ready to make an announcement. That might be as early as the summer 

Most sensible thing would be to ground share with the smoggies while SJP was levelled, and a new state of the art one built.

Turn the pitch the other way and have a solution not dissimilar to the Aviva Stadium in Dublin, but just bigger overall if that makes sense, would solve the problem with Leazes Terrace.

CB921561-1665-41E8-B21B-02CB9EB3EAE7.jpeg

Why would you share with Boro when there’s an almost identical stadium at Darlo, which is much more accessible, infinitely less contentious and massively cheaper to hire?

To be honest we could probably by the stadium for a tenner and move it brick by brick to Newcastle.

6 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Why would you share with Boro when there’s an almost identical stadium at Darlo, which is much more accessible, infinitely less contentious and massively cheaper to hire?

To be honest we could probably by the stadium for a tenner and move it brick by brick to Newcastle.

Middlesborough holds 10k more (34.7k vs 25.5k). As it is, there will be 10’s of thousands of ticket holders upset at not being able to go- it’s probably best to try and accommodate as many as possible? 

18 hours ago, Mr Pups said:

I think the most important thing is that if we look 5-10 years ahead the chances of us playing in front of 52k are very unlikely.

Let's say there is 0% chance of expansion, then the only place really is further up barrack road or SJH's castle leazes proposal (arena site not viable) anywhere else is too far away and would be detrimental to progress. I don't think we'd get 75000 in an out of town stadium, especially if the magic wears off. I've got to be honest I think I'd rather watch the match in a fanzone in the city centre than traipse to some soulless lump, it's not about being stuck in the past - it's learning from other clubs mistakes. They can build the Etihad to a 152,000 but it will still be shite compared to Maine road. You only got to look at their league win last season in the last game, a bit confetti and a few half arsed cheers. West ham....what a shambles, if that had happened to the toon I'd of give up on football. Even Roker park outranks the stadium of shite in everyway apart from a far higher number cheap placca seats.

mehrdad knows we can get 60000, he's hoping for 65000 but 70000 would be unrealistic with the problems but not impossible YET. Castle Leazes or barrack road would be the next best back up plan but we will just have to be patient until the club is ready to make an announcement. That might be as early as the summer 

Eh? There was a mass pitch invasion at Man Citys last home game of the season as 1000s of fans poured onto the pitch to celebrate, which they were fined for!

Give the Mackems £10m to play at the SOS for the season while they ground share with South Shields

They’d get more money on their gate from that fee alone, and they’d actually be able to fill Shields’s ground with actually tickets buyers.

Alright, it’s not a goer … :) 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Gateshead international stadium holds about 12,000. Just bang up a couple of stands. Two metro stops from Central, or an easy walk/can hit the town with a catapult. Perhaps our women’s team and/or reserves can play there as they get bigger crowds. 
1A419E03-09CD-4816-98E7-308B44E9B2D3.thumb.jpeg.c9bd3b36365c221eb050d86d62986c4d.jpeg

The long term plan is for the reserves/women is for them to play at a newly built complex where they all trai  etc, increasingly looking like the North end of Gosforth. 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

The long term plan is for the reserves/women is for them to play at a newly built complex where they all trai  etc, increasingly looking like the North end of Gosforth. 

Meant to be at Parklands ain’t it?