St James' Park: "NEWCASTLE UNITED" lettering on East Stand roof being replaced (Official)

Delima

2 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

I bet no-one misses the old Gallowgate bogs!

:jones:

They were minging, seems mental remembering that was a just a grassed hill with concrete steps and a open toilet half way up.  Imagine telling the yoof of today that they are your 'facilities'.  They'd need counselling and a new disorder invented to explain their angst 

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m sure our new owners could pull something like this off.

Failing that another old git who’s happy to move to arena site or Castle Leazes.

The atmosphere at 36000 St Jame’s under Keegan was something else, however since redevelopment the sound doesn’t carry around the ground. A purpose built stadium with good acoustics and better sight lines than level 7 brings would be my preferred option.

Looks impressive but with a purpose built arena and conference centre underway on the quayside, I just don't see any demand for this. Lets just stick to what we're (supposedly) good at for now.

Interesting discussion, it’s the location that’s hallowed for me not the current construction. I’d take a 60,000 modern ground that utilises innovative architectural planning to keep us at the same spot than a 75,000 super stadium on the outskirts of the city.

14 hours ago, midds said:

Booked a tour for myself and the boy tomorrow, part of his Xmas presents . I'll have a nose around and take a few pics

Nice warm welcome and a free calendar for the bairn's bedroom wall :aww:

Little things. 

29 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Interesting discussion, it’s the location that’s hallowed for me not the current construction. I’d take a 60,000 modern ground that utilises innovative architectural planning to keep us at the same spot

than a 75,000 super stadium on the outskirts of the city.

Next to Newcastle Racecourse in Gosforth Park has been SO often mentioned in the past !!

NO - let's stay in the City Centre.

Edited by manorpark

I'm sure listing of some description is justified but I must admit I've never understood why it's Grade I, ie among the tiny percentage of truly exceptional sites in the country. Granted I don't know much about its history but in terms of its external appearance imo its only 'okay' as far as beautiful buildings go. :lol:

Still, it all speaks to the magnificent setting of SJP and moving it brick-by-brick is a non-starter for a multitude of reasons, not least the bajillions of would cost. 

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m sure our new owners could pull something like this off.

Failing that another old git who’s happy to move to arena site or Castle Leazes.

The atmosphere at 36000 St Jame’s under Keegan was something else, however since redevelopment the sound doesn’t carry around the ground. A purpose built stadium with good acoustics and better sight lines than level 7 brings would be my preferred option.

It looks fucking awful, that high school at Monkseaton looks better.

21 minutes ago, OverThere said:

They have to figure out how to move leazes terrace, even block by block if necessary. I get it's listed but is it that important to the National Heritage?

Leazes Terrace is FANTASTIC, in my opinion.

Not sure where they could move it to but if anyone could afford to do it our new owners could.

However, it would never get planning approval.

Leazes_Terrace_-_Grade_1_Listed.jpg

33 minutes ago, midds said:

Nice warm welcome and a free calendar for the bairn's bedroom wall :aww:

Little things. 

Just started taking down the last sports direct sign on the Gallowgate :aww:

Also mentioned there's no plans to change the font on the East stand btw

Definitely in the camp of rebuilding again. The lopsided aspect is just shit planning because of Leazes Terrace and it just grates - particularly to those people with OCD around symmetry! Problem is with no Wembley or another reasonably sized stadium in the City, it’s either redevelop or build new.

34 minutes ago, midds said:

Guide was asked about the land behind the Gallowgate and knows the Ruben's are fully aware of the situation and on it. 

This guide taking time out of boardroom level discussions today? [emoji38]

Saying that, I hope he's right!

11 minutes ago, NE27 said:

This guide taking time out of boardroom level discussions today? [emoji38]

Saying that, I hope he's right!

You'd imagine you'd prepare yourself by anticipating some questions and finding out what answers you're supposed to give... 

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The Reuben’s might be aware of it for other reasons such as wanting to develop it for student housing etc. 

I wouldn’t automatically assume it would be bought for the expansion of the stadium. 

IF the Reubens choose to buy the land under discussion, above St James' Park Metro Station, NOW - then it will be for stadium expansion purposes only.

2 minutes ago, manorpark said:

IF the Reubens choose to buy the land under discussion, above St James' Park Metro Station, NOW - then it will be for stadium expansion purposes only.

If they did and used it for their own business, they might as well just sell their stake in the consortium.

33 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

You'd imagine you'd prepare yourself by anticipating some questions and finding out what answers you're supposed to give... 

It was more in jest of course [emoji38]

I can imagine stadium tour guides are probably bombarded with every known question, especially considering the club has been radio silence for the last 10 years +.

My mate did a stadium tour with his kids ages ago under Ashley and he asked the guide if he had ever met Ashley and what did he think of him, he said no and just as well as he’d be out of a job and in prison for lamping the “fat cockney wanker”