St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

51 minutes ago, Robster said:

Well, fuck me. Despite knowing I would have been there the first time it appeared, I cannot remember the NEWCASTLE UNITED being up there before the Gallowgate was redeveloped.

It was there at some point in lateish 1993. It wasn't there for the opening game v Spurs or Blackburn (h) but it was there around October time. Just going off the matches on the 93-94 season reviews.

3 hours ago, Robster said:

Well, fuck me. Despite knowing I would have been there the first time it appeared, I cannot remember the NEWCASTLE UNITED being up there before the Gallowgate was redeveloped.

Same.

The Leazes End  terrace was a bit of a Tardis, it held 15k but didn’t look particularly big. You’d walk up the stairs in The Gallowgate, have a piss halfway up, then come out at the top of the terracing, see the whole ground and make your way to your spot.

The Leazes End was great but could have been so much more much earlier with just a bit of attention. 

Walking into The Fulwell End was much more impressive and The Roker End before it got condemned and chopped up was an impressive caught, same with both ends at Sheff Wed.

I so miss being able to stand on the terraces, finding myself 20 yards from where I was stood 30 seconds before we scored without realising it and shouting hey man, woh man as you swayed with the crowd. The caging and policing of the terraces was the danger. We can never go fully back and sanitised terracing may come in but I’d love one more “proper” terraced match with scarves, bovril, peanuts and barley sweets. I’m romanticising here ‘cos it could also be absolutely awful but when it was good it was something really special.

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The Leazes End  terrace was a bit of a Tardis, it held 15k but didn’t look particularly big. You’d walk up the stairs in The Gallowgate, have a piss halfway up, then come out at the top of the terracing, see the whole ground and make your way to your spot.

The Leazes End was great but could have been so much more much earlier with just a bit of attention. 

Walking into The Fulwell End was much more impressive and The Roker End before it got condemned and chopped up was an impressive caught, same with both ends at Sheff Wed.

I so miss being able to stand on the terraces, finding myself 20 yards from where I was stood 30 seconds before we scored without realising it and shouting hey man, woh man as you swayed with the crowd. The caging and policing of the terraces was the danger. We can never go fully back and sanitised terracing may come in but I’d love one more “proper” terraced match with scarves, bovril, peanuts and barley sweets. I’m romanticising here ‘cos it could also be absolutely awful but when it was good it was something really special.

That sounds amazing.

It’s the swaying that gets me. It’s hypnotic when you see it on old videos.

Guest carpetman1
1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

hey man, woh man 

I'd forgotten this! Even at four words, a million times better than the version of the Blaydon Races sung/raced through today.

5 hours ago, TheGuv said:

That sounds amazing.

It’s the swaying that gets me. It’s hypnotic when you see it on old videos.

Remember going at 13 and standing behind the concrete supports that were dotted about the terracing, thinking that would be a safe place.   After the 1st goal went in, you realised you were better off just being carried by the crowd or stand just in front of the concrete supports so you could be at the top of the surge.   It was a sort of rights of passage to becoming a regular on the terraces.

Edited by Awaymag

1 hour ago, Awaymag said:

Remember going at 13 and standing behind the concrete supports that were dotted about the terracing, thinking that would be a safe place.   After the 1st goal went in, you realised you were better off just being carried by the crowd rather than trying not to get temporarily crushed against the supports.   It was a sort of rights of passage to becoming a regular on the terraces.

It was a proud moment for me the first time I walked out of SJP with only one shoe on. 

Edited by Dancing Brave

14 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Blows your mind sometimes that it's the same patch of grass. Do love our stadium, like, used to feel so proud of it - can definitely feel it coming back. 

I absolutely adore the place me, obsessed almost. Love that it's finally starting to see some TLC

13 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Yeh, it's special and holds different memories for different generations...but ultimately they all come to the same place of a feeling of belonging. As said by many...that was missing in the last 14 years. 

It was familiar, but no longer your home almost.

I used to beam with pride that st James park was our home. But over the years it was cheapened and allowed to become a grimey old shithole clad with aesthetically abusive advertisement.

I honestly hate MA with all of my being.

Guest carpetman1
1 hour ago, Dancing Brave said:

It was a proud moment for me the first time I walked out of SJP with only one shoe on. 

You were lucky. Used to dream o' wearin a pair o' shoes t' match. 

First went in mid-80s when the old wooden West Stand was still there, stood in the Scoreboard mainly then moved over to the Leazes around the time of Ozzy's team and was in the Leazes for Keegan's return against Bristol City and for the Pompey game.

As the ground's changed so much I've got no real attachment to the current iteration, happy for them to tear it down and start again.

Hopefully we can stay on the same site or a short move to Leazes Park.

17 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

First went in mid-80s when the old wooden West Stand was still there, stood in the Scoreboard mainly then moved over to the Leazes around the time of Ozzy's team and was in the Leazes for Keegan's return against Bristol City and for the Pompey game.

As the ground's changed so much I've got no real attachment to the current iteration, happy for them to tear it down and start again.

Hopefully we can stay on the same site or a short move to Leazes Park.

Almost ditto to this except the old Leazes was there in 76 when I first went , in E paddock in the West Stand , I would be happy to tear the place to bits and start again , the East stand looks shite now , it’s a case of where would we go in the meantime :dontknow:

Guest carpetman1

See, the younger generation here would march on the offices of the planner if it were decided to knock it down, probably while chanting some unintelligible guff at high speed. Me, nothing is left of the old place. Bulldoze it. 

The fucking televisions in the Leazes for a bloke getting on in age now are shocking , I can never read or see the fucking scores they are that small .

my eyes are ok before you take the piss [emoji38]