St James' Park

Delima

3 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Who knew the removal of some signs would be so monumental? [emoji38]

It was always going to be imo, the visual signal of a new era and getting rid of an awful brand which represented cheapness and neglect. 

8 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Who knew the removal of some signs would be so monumental? [emoji38]

Always been what I was waiting for, maybe even more than the manager and stuff. Horrible to have something you love plastered with the flag of the enemy. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

6 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

Wonder how long the whole process is going to take. There must be a SD signs lurking in corners people have forgotten about.

They'll probably need to buy that land back just for somewhere to store them pre-disposal. 

2 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

One of the more tackier signs gone 

Any pics of this area before with the signs? Want to do some before and after picture montagenfor the whole ground

Edited by nufcjb

Really hope the club's media team have some sort of timelapse video or make their own video of all this. It'll get record- breaking views and like and retweets and all that Burnsie amd the likes can only dream of.

It feels like it's just me but I am not that bothered by the font of NEWCASTLE UNITED. It doesn't make me think of Sports Direct when I look at it.
So long as all the blue and white shite goes, I'm very happy although as part of the new owners putting their own stamp on everything, I'd be delighted if they did get new signs everywhere

17 minutes ago, Robster said:

It feels like it's just me but I am not that bothered by the font of NEWCASTLE UNITED. It doesn't make me think of Sports Direct when I look at it.
So long as all the blue and white shite goes, I'm very happy although as part of the new owners putting their own stamp on everything, I'd be delighted if they did get new signs everywhere

It 100% makes me think of sports direct. It’s in italics ffs. It’s lifting 

Aye, beyond the honking appearance it was very deliberately done to correlate with the hideous SD signs immediately adjacent. It's inextricably linked for me and it will feel like job only half done if it stays, which I assume it will. 

It’s funny. I was working for the club and was there when the original sign was taken down. I was furious.

The tight fucker didn’t even clean the Stand before putting his italics on, so if you ever look closely you can see the remnants of the old font behind. You’d easily be able to recreate it to the exact dimensions and it’s an easy win.

9 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

It’s funny. I was working for the club and was there when the original sign was taken down. I was furious.

The tight fucker didn’t even clean the Stand before putting his italics on, so if you ever look closely you can see the remnants of the old font behind. You’d easily be able to recreate it to the exact dimensions and it’s an easy win.

Yeah. Removing the SD signs shouldn't be seen as a PR win at all tbh, it's the absolute bare minimum that should happen when it comes to the stadium under new owners. Doing something progressive like reinstating the old Newcastle United letters or just doing something different with it would be great. 

The Times: "By the time Ashley sold Newcastle United to a consortium funded by Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund (PIF) in October, there were said to be 107 red and blue Sports Direct signs scattered around the stadium.

"When Newcastle fans return to a stadium finally free from Sports Direct signs — the club earned £157,000 per year in the last accounts from the advertising — there will be rejoicing. It really is that significant.

"It was something that Ashley could never change, but it was neglected — the only significant development across his 14 years of ownership was the installation of one giant television screen that was declared unsafe and caused the kick-off to be delayed for a Premier League match with Leicester City in 2014.

"There is a Twitter account for a dead pigeon that has been stuck in the roof of the Gallowgate End for years. It was unloved — the ground and the pigeon — by the owners, but not by supporters.

Few nice bits in there