St James' Park

Delima

30 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’ve got great reservations about sweeping the current structure around to the Gallowgate end in its current guise, the Leazes isn’t conducive to creating any atmosphere in its current layout. I think they’re going to surprise folk here and try and build it from scratch again just NW of SJP’s current footprint. The East Stand just isn’t in keeping with what they’ll have in mind long term and I’m not convinced they can do anything with it either that’ll represent value for money. 

They’ll have plans for Strawberry Place but it’ll not end up being the Gallowgate extension.

I agree I think there may be a big surprise, but I'm not sure how moving it slightly NW would help due to St. James Terrace. Unless you mean moving into the park?

24 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’ve got great reservations about sweeping the current structure around to the Gallowgate end in its current guise, the Leazes isn’t conducive to creating any atmosphere in its current layout. I think they’re going to surprise folk here and try and build it from scratch again just NW of SJP’s current footprint. The East Stand just isn’t in keeping with what they’ll have in mind long term and I’m not convinced they can do anything with it either that’ll represent value for money. 

They’ll have plans for Strawberry Place but it’ll not end up being the Gallowgate extension.

Interesting thoughts, and yeah I agree about the accoustics problem of taking the current Gallowgate roof off and replacing it with Level 7 one, which is why I've stressed how important it is to make the Gallowgate a safe standing Kop end if they do simply extend the current design.

I would be amazed if they did completely build a new stadium more or less on the current footprint but I'd certainly welcome it if it gets rid of the East Stand problem. 

The real issue here is that they could spend £500m on extending the Gallowgate and coming up with a compromised solution for the East Stand, taking capacity to the low/mid 60K capacity...only for the club to even outgrow that within 5 or 6 years and they need to go back to thinking of building a new stadium again.

A new build would probably cost £1.5b+ so maybe they are thinking long term?

One thing that comes to mind is the fact that in July the CAZ comes into full effect and how it could effect attendances as I'm pretty sure that quite a few travel by car to the game, and the buses and metro couldn't cope , when I think back to the 60s and 70s as a boy and it was a nightmare, then the question being is it economical to expand the ground .

14 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

One thing that comes to mind is the fact that in July the CAZ comes into full effect and how it could effect attendances as I'm pretty sure that quite a few travel by car to the game, and the buses and metro couldn't cope , when I think back to the 60s and 70s as a boy and it was a nightmare, then the question being is it economical to expand the ground .

It came into effect at the end of January and doesn’t apply to personal use vehicles, and only applies to commercial vehicles (including taxi’s) that do not comply with Euro 6 emissions.

27 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I agree I think there may be a big surprise, but I'm not sure how moving it slightly NW would help due to St. James Terrace. Unless you mean moving into the park?

Slight intrusion into the park where current multi story car park is towards Barrack Road. Not sure how much into park they would need to go, but looks plenty of land to nudge it away from Leazes Terrace. 

If I’m not mistaken Spurs built a good proportion of new stadium before having to bulldoze White Hart Lane. Looks a hard one to do without closing SJP for a couple of years but who knows what’s possible.

Edited by Whitley mag

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Slight intrusion into the park where current multi story car park is towards Barrack Road. Not sure how much into park they would need to go, but looks plenty of land to nudge it away from Leazes Terrace. 

If I’m not mistaken Spurs built a good proportion of new stadium before having to bulldoze White Hart Lane. Looks a hard one to do without closing SJP for a couple of years but who knows what’s possible.

But they still had to close WHL for a year or two. We can't. The way Liverpool built over and round their stand while it was still in use seems more likely.

3 hours ago, manorpark said:

That is just so 100% wrong.

The massive stone cleaning of our beautiful City Centre buildings started in the mid-1960s and was largely completed by the mid to late 1970s, I followed all this very closely at the time.

So, while our City Centre is very beautiful now, it was "sparkling new" beautiful in the mid-1970s !!!

Jesus wept, calm down fella. I might have been slightly out with the dates, but that doesn't  mean I'm "100% wrong" ?. I can remember buildings being cleaned in the 70s when I used to go into town.

Article here says work was started in the 70's.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/newcastle-exhibition-recalls-days-outlook-9833035

Edited by UncleBingo

6 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Incorporate the station into the ground? Would nexus allow that?

It think it would depend on how it’s implemented. The original plans for the current Gallowgate had turnstiles on the Metro ticket hall.

4 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

Jesus wept, calm down fella. I might have been slightly out with the dates, but that doesn't  mean I'm "100% wrong" ?. I can remember buildings being cleaned in the 70s when I used to go into town.

Article here says work was started in the 70's.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/newcastle-exhibition-recalls-days-outlook-9833035

Yes, the Chronicle always says that.

Can I say that (as it often is) the Chronicle is "100% wrong"?

Oh, and Jesus wept, calm down fella . . . 

Always thought it would be best to keep the pond, purely from an aesthetic point of view. Build a new stadium down the side towards Barrak Road. Turn the existing ground into a park area and have an agreement that the club will maintain all the park areas around the stadium. The city gets a nice park and we get a new stadium. Win win! 

1 hour ago, Vedder said:

Always thought it would be best to keep the pond, purely from an aesthetic point of view. Build a new stadium down the side towards Barrak Road. Turn the existing ground into a park area and have an agreement that the club will maintain all the park areas around the stadium. The city gets a nice park and we get a new stadium. Win win! 

The park is starting to look very run down anyway, I'm sure the council would be grateful for the revamp.

1 hour ago, Vedder said:

Genuinely think this might be the long term plan and that’s why they bought the Strawberry Place area back to act as a lead-in from the metro to the new park for the new stadium and a fan zone while we still use SJP. I’m not convinced they bought it to expand the Gallowgate. 

Edited by cubaricho

1 hour ago, Vedder said:

That sounds a lot more reasonable and fair than my proposal tbh.

Does Leazes Park have any protection attached to it or is it down to the council to decide? If the club wants SJP to potentially host the Euros, you would think any applications to acquire land and then start construction may need to start soon perhaps? Even if it is just the Gallowgate expansion and doing something to Strwberry Place, surely any plans of it will be announced in the not too distant future?

Anywyas, I have faith in the people running our club. Mehrdad is soneone who genuienly wants the best for the club, the Reubens already have some influence on development in the city and owners are building a city from scratch in the middle of a fucking desert. They'll know what to do.

Gary Neville says Man Utds new owners need to immediately invest in a new stadium and training ground, I'm not sure how much that would cost but I imagine a lot more than us, onto of the £5 billion to buy them.

The Saudis got a cracking deal with us.

6 minutes ago, Ben said:

Gary Neville says Man Utds new owners need to immediately invest in a new stadium and training ground, I'm not sure how much that would cost but I imagine a lot more than us, onto of the £5 billion to buy them.

They absolutely did, over the long run we will turn out to be a better investment. 

On 10/02/2023 at 16:59, Wandy said:

Interesting thoughts, and yeah I agree about the accoustics problem of taking the current Gallowgate roof off and replacing it with Level 7 one, which is why I've stressed how important it is to make the Gallowgate a safe standing Kop end if they do simply extend the current design.

I would be amazed if they did completely build a new stadium more or less on the current footprint but I'd certainly welcome it if it gets rid of the East Stand problem. 

The real issue here is that they could spend £500m on extending the Gallowgate and coming up with a compromised solution for the East Stand, taking capacity to the low/mid 60K capacity...only for the club to even outgrow that within 5 or 6 years and they need to go back to thinking of building a new stadium again.

A new build would probably cost £1.5b+ so maybe they are thinking long term?

I don’t think we will outgrow anything over 62,000

it wasn’t that long ago we couldn’t fill our current stadium for champions league games under Bobby 

I think we have a good strong core of 35 - 40k supporters and then lots of hangers on 

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Well yes, but also no. 

They won't be allowed to spend with us because that would be 'cheating', whereas the Qataris would be immediately able to throw untold billions at Man U, even more extreme than Chelsea's new owners.

So it depends if the Saudis are after success or profit.

Edited by Chris_R

3 hours ago, Ben said:

Tottenhams new stadium cost over £1bn and they couldn’t use it for two years whilst work was ongoing. Chelsea have been quoted over £1bn for theirs, and there is talk of it taking 10 years with them using Wembley for at least 5 years. They also factored approx £1.75bn into the sale price if the club to ensure it happens. You’d think Man Utd would be similar amounts.  

11 hours ago, Vedder said:

Surely the pond as the pitch is the best option?

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

I don’t think we will outgrow anything over 62,000

it wasn’t that long ago we couldn’t fill our current stadium for champions league games under Bobby 

I think we have a good strong core of 35 - 40k supporters and then lots of hangers on 

You can say that for any club though, including Man Utd.