St James' Park

Delima

5 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Here’s a SJP question that doesn’t relate to or involve relocation or expanding:

If you were going to your first match all over again, and might only get to one for the foreseeable future, where would you sit for the one time awe-striking moment? Stand/row/etc.

Asking for a friend. ;) 

Gallowgate would be the obvious answer if you want to be in the middle of the flag display and the best singing area but good luck getting a ticket. Really anywhere is good at the minute with the atmosphere.

5 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Here’s a SJP question that doesn’t relate to or involve relocation or expanding:

If you were going to your first match all over again, and might only get to one for the foreseeable future, where would you sit for the one time awe-striking moment? Stand/row/etc.

Asking for a friend. ;) 

I would honestly sit exactly where I'd been sitting for my first match at SJP.  1997 v Barcelona.  Keith Gillespie cross; Tino leapt, time froze. Where I was sitting?  If Keith's ball had kept going the ball it would have hit me in the face.  Perfect. :)

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think the East Stand could be demolished and rebuilt. Would reduce capacity for a few years but surely it could be redesigned in the same footprint to increase capacity in the long run?

WHAT? 

Demolish our "beautiful new" East Stand??

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

SEE ALSO . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/newcastle-as-it-might-have-been.1009531/post-53665235

(YES - I actually agree that the best thing to do would be to replace the "old" East Stand !!!!!!)

Guest HTT II

I quite like the brutalist design of the exterior of the East Stand too. The whole stadium being lopsided and overlooking an old brewery site, sitting over a metro system, China Town bang over the road and with the Tyne Bridge in full view while sat next to a grande old listed building terrace is something special and seriously cool IMO. It’s very very unique.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Does make you wonder whether it could be extended slightly, if it was entirely rebuilt.

Maybe, but I doubt it could in any worthwhile way, as it is the stand is about as low and shallow as it can practically be.

A redesigned stand could possibly gain another 3-4 rows but would that be worth it?

What about the South West corner where the stadium "squares off" for want of a better phrase. Would it not be possible to connect the West stand and the gallowgate and have a proper curved corner.

If you are unsure where I mean, it's the corner where the Ben Arfa "Hope" banner was.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

What about the South West corner where the stadium "squares off" for want of a better phrase. Would it not be possible to connect the West stand and the gallowgate and have a proper curved corner.

If you are unsure where I mean, it's the corner where the Ben Arfa "Hope" banner was.

You trying to destroy my seats eh!

Let's go back to picking on the east stand

Edited by NE27

29 minutes ago, STM said:

Raises the same issues of building over the metro station and road as a Gallowgate extension would, which hopefully can be resolved.

10 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Asking for a friend. ;) 

Gallowgate, as close to the pitch as you can get.

32 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Gallowgate, as close to the pitch as you can get.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I love the Milburn Level 7, bang in the middle. In some ways it's quite detached but walking out after climbing all of those stairs and seeing the whole stadium and city below you is awe inspiring.

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think the East Stand could be demolished and rebuilt. Would reduce capacity for a few years but surely it could be redesigned in the same footprint to increase capacity in the long run?

Can't imagine it would take that long to rebuild. The Milburn extension was a trickier prospect so took longer. But the bulk of the Leazes took from March-August 93 and the Gallowgate from January-July-94.

Been thinking, instead of a steeper East Stand, if a deeper one wouldn't be better, there's room to play with in terms of the foundations and could remain roughly the same height.

12 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Asking for a friend. ;) 

I am biased. but I'd honestly say East Stand. Getting a view of not from the Milburn/Leazes vastness is quite a moment first time around and is obviously a good view, or at least front row of the top tier where I was is. I've sat in the Gallowgate corner, Milburn paddock and Leazes since redevelopment and the views were not as good if you're after views.  But then my first games entrenched in the Paddock/Gallowgate were hard to follow the games, not that it mattered. Saw nowt at my first away games and loved every moment of it.

As a total nerd the stand-off between the brutalist East Stand and Leazes Terrace is probably one of my favourite bits of cityscape in the whole of Newcastle. 

However - there is definitely scope for a rebuild and while the setting of Leazes Terrace will always limit the height somewhat I'm sure it is possible for some increase in capacity on that side with a modern re-design.

Edited by ponsaelius

42 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

As a total nerd the stand-off between the brutalist East Stand and Leazes Terrace is probably one of my favourite bits of cityscape in the whole of Newcastle. 

However - there is definitely scope for a rebuild and while the setting of Leazes Terrace will always limit the height somewhat I'm sure it is possible for some increase in capacity on that side with a modern re-design.

Very much so. The whole area at that side of the ground - from Strawberry Place and all the way up and into Leazes Park - is so rich in character and a visual presentation of how things have changed. The East Stand pretty much has heritage value of its own for me, and is easily one of the more attractive pieces of brutalist architecture in the city, compared to shite like (... nah, I won't). 

Feel really wary about smoothing all the edges into something uniform and symmetrical. 

I actually think the Gallowgate is much more of an eyesore than the East Stand and sticks out like a sore thumb. If the East Stand stayed and the Gallowgate was a continuation of the Milburn level, that would look class imo and probably get us up to 60k-ish.

Guest carpetman1
On 01/03/2022 at 13:05, Yorkie said:

I can remember someone posting some designs on here which show the pitch rotated 90 degrees (with the Gallowgate/Leazes therefore overlooking the touchlines as opposed to the goal-lines). I'm not a huge fan of the idea but you get the feeling that it's going to take a radical design solution like that to overcome the issues of Leazes Terrace because, as Jackie Broon says, extending the East Stand at this point is a total dead end of an idea. 

Even if you have no affection for its architecture and design, it's the same plot of land that every single NUFC player who's ever played for us has run out on. Does that not count for anything? Surely after 125+ years of history it does? 

Didn't say move it.