St James' Park

Delima

The thing with the CL gates under Sir Bobby is that you had to buy them in advance.

Paying for three home tickets alone was nearly £120 and many of us applied for the away games too.

Made me realise how expensive they were where a season ticket felt like a mandatory debit.

Rangers had the same problem. You're not getting 44,000 against Hibs and a few days later 33,000 in the CL against Dortmund under normal circumstances.

Also you want to have a look at some of Bayern, the Milan's, Real Madrid and Barcelona's champions league gates back then.

That very season: Inter got 33k, 31k and 45k. Bayern 40k 59k 22k (and that was way up on previous years). Barcelona 62k and 42k

A few year earlier Liverpool were getting 30k's.

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

I will never understand this point of view. It's a bit like saying that there is no point in owning a Porsche/Ferrari/Lamborghini as there are very limited opportunities to use it's 180mph+ capability.

Even if a 80,000 seater has occasions when it's "only" 80% full that is still 64,000 crowds you would be getting. But for NUFC, about 70,000 is the sweet spot whereby you would nearly always have capacity crowds when the club is ran with genuine ambition, no matter who the owners are.

The lower crowds for CL football also mean nothing. Its a ego stroking/money generating competition where you might only play 5 or 6 games in an entire season, and most fans don't really give a shit about it when you get down to brass tacks, which is a big factor in why there was so much opposition to the Super League. In this country the league comes 1st, 2nd and 3rd in importance to the fans. And its why NUFC has never had a problem selling out league games when the the club has been run properly.

As long as the club punches it's weight and actually tries to compete for trophies then selling out a 70k stadium for league games will never be a problem. If some cup games only attract 70/80% of capacity then so what, it's nothing to be embarrassed about or a reason to build a smaller stadium. That is small-time thinking.

Agree with all you've written here.

17 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Any ideas on when we might see any plans for expansion?

I don't think this is going to be on the same timescale as something like the anfield road end at liverpool, I think with the significant obstacles, we are probably looking at 2 years of construction when we factor in all the side projects such as The metro/The road on Strawberry place (rerouting or closure, Hotel, Fanzone, Club Megastore?? and other facilities and ultimately expansion of the gallowgate (whatever that looks like). As Whitley mag says they'll want the stadium ready for the Euros so I think we might be looking at kicking off the 2027-28 season with a new look SJP which probably means we might see plans in the next 12 months 

With anfield boosting 61000 and the likes of everton moving up to 52888 (whether they are in prem or not) this might accelerate things

2028 - euros

Is it still the case that any cost of ground expansion can exclusive of day to day operating costs and FFP regulations? i.e. Owners just can plough in £150 million or whatever it costs without affecting team budget. I know UEFA were proposing to include capital spend in FFP, so £150m on ground would result in £150m less on squad.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent news. It simultaneously allows standing a foothold in the stadium and allows the fans in that corner to stand 'legally' now rather than get into confrontations with stewards etc. Good stuff

On 09/03/2023 at 07:56, Wolfcastle said:

The thing with the CL gates under Sir Bobby is that you had to buy them in advance.

Paying for three home tickets alone was nearly £120 and many of us applied for the away games too.

Made me realise how expensive they were where a season ticket felt like a mandatory debit.

Rangers had the same problem. You're not getting 44,000 against Hibs and a few days later 33,000 in the CL against Dortmund under normal circumstances.

Also you want to have a look at some of Bayern, the Milan's, Real Madrid and Barcelona's champions league gates back then.

That very season: Inter got 33k, 31k and 45k. Bayern 40k 59k 22k (and that was way up on previous years). Barcelona 62k and 42k

A few year earlier Liverpool were getting 30k's.

Yep - and what is often forgotten is just how expensive European away games are; and they are the ones people get excited about going to.  Two of my mates were with us in Rotterdam for Feyenoord away (after a night in Amsterdam) who didn't bother with home tickets as the expense of being made to buy all three tickets up front (plus booze) would have left them without enough for the aways.

Also - and the younger ones will find this incredible - it is actually possible to start treating Europe like the League Cup after you've been in it year after year for an extended period of time.  If you include the Intertoto Cup games in 2001 when we lost in the final, we played European football in 10 of our first 11 seasons after promotion in '93 and our first season back in '94 (after somehow blowing it in '95).  It does become just another game a lot of time*

*I always loved European games, but that wasn't reflected by all match-going supporters that I knew.  One of my mates just stopped going to them other than against huge clubs, viewing most of the games as a bit of a pain in the arse

edit: correction, 12 of 13- just remembered losing to Depor in the Inter Toto semi final in 05-06.  We were in the UEFA Cup the year after.

Edited by TheBrownBottle

52 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

I'm really glad to hear that.  I spent my teens and twenties desperately wanting to stand again (my ST was in the Milburn Paddock until 95-96 - I was 12 when the paddock was closed in 95).  It is often a much better way to watch a game - especially if you're young(ish), had a few pints and want to gan a bit radge (singing and dancing and jumping, that is).  Now that I'm 40 it sounds like a nightmare!  Those who want to be in it will love it, though.

Mentioned on the atmosphere thread

But imagine it just stays the same and those lower down just carry on sitting but now in their rail seats..

Think it's quite a possibility meself 😳

class to finally have some movement on this, but lets not forget that it was already decided in the summer :lol: a more cynical man might suggest any fan engagement around this was a PR stunt.

On 11/07/2022 at 17:09, Big River said:

they've had architects in most weeks since the season finished.

converting 2/3rds of the away section into safe standing as soon as the license gets approved, at a cost of £100 per seat. will be looking at other areas after that, strawberry corner and sections of the gallowgate obvious candidates.

it's a start though! I'll be applying to move down there if there's an option.