Jewell: NUFC 'not coming back' for Giles Barnes

biggs

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2248997,00.html

Barnes wont be in this window then by the sounds of things:

"If we had got two players in of the quality wanted, which was the original intention, then you slide in someone like him [barnes] as one for the future," Keegan said. "I don't think we'll do it in this window. We may do three or four of those in the summer. That's what this new set-up is all about. It could be a very interesting club to be at and I think it will be."

"If we had got two players in of the quality wanted, which was the original intention, then you slide in someone like him [barnes] as one for the future," Keegan said. "I don't think we'll do it in this window. We may do three or four of those in the summer. That's what this new set-up is all about. It could be a very interesting club to be at and I think it will be."

I don't get that logic at all. If a player you want is available, go for it. You never know if the opportunity is still going to be there in a few months' time.

Barnes's arrival being dependent on other arrivals doesn't make any sense. If we're short of players, all the more reason to bring him in.

I know he's the Messiah, but this is a bit of a bullshit statement. I wonder if, with his self-imposed exile from football, he hasn't actually seen Barnes play, and wants a bit of time to make his mind up. The new DOF may have already reached a conclusion and wants to move more quickly.

I don't get that logic at all. If a player you want is available, go for it. You never know if the opportunity is still going to be there in a few months' time.

Barnes's arrival being dependent on other arrivals doesn't make any sense. If we're short of players, all the more reason to bring him in.

I know he's the Messiah, but this is a bit of a bullshit statement.

They might want silly money with only a couple of days left of the transfer window, and if we show we are willing pay silly amounts Derby won't be the only club demanding them from us.

I think what Keegan is getting at is that if Barnes is our only signing then there will be a hell of a lot of pressure on him to improve us. Ideally he wanted him to come in under the radar and have time to settle before putting any pressure on him.

Mind, I don't agree with that, I think we need bodies in now, but thats what I think Keegan means.

Not a top class player but at least he's 100 times better than what we have there at the minute!

No time to fuck around so just get him in even if it means paying a couple of mill over.

Just goes to show how much we've missed Martins! I know he's not exactly been banging them in but he certainly kept the opposition on their toes!

Feel so sorry for Keegan having to work with so many donkeys that offer so little.

God i'd be pleased if we got him.

At £3m it'd be a snip, especially when Billy Davies strapped an £8m price tag on him when West Ham were sniffing.

It really would be. I don't care what the Janitor says about player valuations (:razz:), £3m for a very promising English talent, and an attacking one at that, is a good find in today's market.

Unless he gets injured immediately and never plays a game for us. Then it'd be a waste of money :laugh:

From .com

From the Derby Evening Telegraph, Wednesday:

Derby  County have told Newcastle United they will not get Giles Barnes on the cheap.

The Rams are waiting to see if the Magpies return with an improved offer for the 19-year-old before the transfer window closes at midnight tomorrow.

Newcastle's first bid, believed to be around £1.5m, was rejected.

A  verbal offer for Barnes was made to chief scout Bill Green on Monday - the day Derby's new American owners were being unveiled to the media.

“The offer was nowhere near our valuation of Giles Barnes,”  said manager Paul Jewell.

“When you see players move for £4m to £5m, what we would want for Giles is not unreasonable but I would be very  happy to keep him. He is a player of huge potential, so I don't see why we should let him go on the cheap.

“If Giles tells me he does not want to go to Newcastle or anywhere else, I will be very happy to hear that.

“If he tells me he wants to go because it looks like we are going to go down, I have to respect that and we won't stand in his way as long as it's right for the club.

“But he is not leaving on the cheap.”

I know he's the Messiah, but this is a bit of a bullshit statement. I wonder if, with his self-imposed exile from football, he hasn't actually seen Barnes play, and wants a bit of time to make his mind up. The new DOF may have already reached a conclusion and wants to move more quickly.

I expect Keegan's actually being fairly clever. If we sign Barnes everybody will expect him to be starting immediatly and with him being our only signing people will have high expectations. I expect Keegan wants to ease him in gradually and devlop him.

Keegans dropped his first clanger imho, i started this thread way back when and i dont pretend to be a talent scout far from it but this kid can do things which our players could not even dream about and has the making of a top class player .VERY ANGRY ATM if we loose out he will be better than Dyer ,Bellamy etc imho.

Keegans dropped his first clanger imho, i started this thread way back when and i dont pretend to be a talent scout far from it but this kid can do things which our players could not even dream about and has the making of a top class player .VERY ANGRY ATM if we loose out he will be better than Dyer ,Bellamy etc imho.

What exactly has he done this season that's been impressive? He looks just as out of place in the prem as the other Derby players do.

He supposedly has the potential to come good in a couple of years but for now, he's just one for the future. 3m seems about the right price.

He had a blinder up here. I'm not sure where he'd fit though.

I agree, The centre of our midfield already has way too many attacking pacy players at the moment.

Definitely one for the future, but i fear we wouldnt see the best of him in the centre where he likes to play because that role is near enough dependent on a DM. If he can play out on the wing where there is less pressure then i see no problems, all the people who are "desperate" for Barnes, what about Lua Lua, he seems liek a similar type of player?  

Guest Erich von Manstein

Deal not dead apparently, player terms agreed but not a fee agreed between the two clubs.

Named as sub tonight for Derby however, which could be an inkling that it's unlikely we'll agree a fee either before the deadline.