Jewell: NUFC 'not coming back' for Giles Barnes

biggs

Any other clubs in for him?

Not as yet, but  I think it'd be a fair assumption to say that West Ham and maybe even our good friends from Spurs might return for him if we get to the stage where an offer is accepted. I wouldn't fancy our chances if that turned out to be so. I think Derby would hope for that too, hence why they made our offer public knowledge.

The only criticism of Robson as far as Jenas is concerned is that he played him regardless of form, which made the situation even worse.

Jenas scored a few cracking goals but his contribution to the team was very limited, once his goals dried up we were left with a very average player.

Derby have turned down an offer from Newcastle for Giles Barnes - but are prepared to sell if the price is right.

The midfielder, 19, has been linked with Tottenham and West Ham, but the Magpies are the first with a firm bid.

Jewell said: "What they offered isn't unreasonable but he isn't going on the cheap, he's a player we'd like to keep.

"But if Giles Barnes wants to go somewhere else and play in the Premier League we won't stand in his way, as long as it's right for the club."

Barnes impressed as the Rams won promotion via the play-offs last season.

He missed the early part of the current campaign with a broken foot but has been one of the few successes for the Premier League's bottom club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/7215547.stm

Interesting quotes on the BBC, he suggests that we've made a good offer but they're holding out for a bit more.

I wouldn't call £2 million a reasonable offer so that figure sounds bollocks.

Derby have turned down an offer from Newcastle for Giles Barnes - but are prepared to sell if the price is right.

The midfielder, 19, has been linked with Tottenham and West Ham, but the Magpies are the first with a firm bid.

Jewell said: "What they offered isn't unreasonable but he isn't going on the cheap, he's a player we'd like to keep.

"But if Giles Barnes wants to go somewhere else and play in the Premier League we won't stand in his way, as long as it's right for the club."

He missed the early part of the current campaign with a broken foot but has been one of the few successes for the Premier League's bottom club.

Interesting quotes on the BBC, he suggests that we've made a good offer but they're holding out for a bit more.

could have been 2 million with add ons

maybe they want cash upfront

Aye, it would seem so.

This may have been mentioned before but.... I thought he was one of their best players, why would a championship club think they could get him on loan? :lol:

Good question. I wonder if he's fallen out with the new manager and wants to go.

This may have been mentioned before but.... I thought he was one of their best players, why would a championship club think they could get him on loan? :lol:

Why would Birmingham think they could get Lippi, why do Sunderland fans think they can stay up?  Why did I sleep with my boss and ask for a raise?

You dont ask you dont get, everythings worth a punt and everyone needs hope, even if it means waking up with a sore arse and a head full of shattered memories

Why would Birmingham think they could get Lippi, why do Sunderland fans think they can stay up?  Why did I sleep with my boss and ask for a raise?

You dont ask you dont get, everythings worth a punt and everyone needs hope, even if it means waking up with a sore arse and a head full of shattered memories

I laughed at Birmingham too :D

you get that raise?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article3273318.ece

Newcastle waste little time with Giles Barnes bidGeorge Caulkin

Led by Dennis Wise, Newcastle United’s new-look player recruitment department has made an impact at St James’ Park, with Derby County yesterday rejecting a £1.5 million offer for Giles Barnes, their young midfield player. Tony Jimenez, the Newcastle vice-president (player recruitment), has been leading negotiations with Derby, although a deal is understood to be unlikely.

Paul Jewell, the Derby manager, values Barnes at £3 million – “I don’t see why we should let him go cheap,” he said – but while Newcastle admire the 19-year-old, they are reluctant to pay so much for a player who has made only 58 starts in league football.

Strengthening the midfield is not a priority, but it demonstrates Newcastle’s determination to ensure that their new system hits the ground running.

...................................................................................................

Well what the hell is the priority??

Guest Jungle Barry

3m (in football terms obviously) isn't a lot these days, especially if we started the bidding at 2. Get it paid and get the lad in

If we are refusing to pay £3 million then it might be because we have someone else i.e. another "iron in the fire" who we might be able to get for around £3 million and who we might think is slightly better.

Let's wait and see.